Not sure where to start

My partner has been asked if he would be able to relocate to Malta. I've tried to consider the folowing;

- I have a 3 year old son and I home-school him so I would need to know if this is an option I can opt into or out of (ie put into a local state school) later on.
- I need to know what rental prices there are, to check affordability and negotiation of contract etc.
- I need to find a property that would be an upgrade to what we have at present - we currently live in a 3rd floor penthouse flat with port and sea views over ramsgate, but would like outdoor space and possibly a workshop or garage as partner likes to tinker in his spare time.
- We need to consider work travel time to and from the airport.
- We need to consider food and living expenses in relation to what we have here.
- I need to factor in if we leave items in storage here what the cost would be and what the cost would be to take them with us.
- can we still get married? Something on the cards but didn't want to loose that church wedding we dreamt of if we move outside the uk - is a church wedding in a anglican style still viable or would we have to return to the uk to marry in the eyes of god bearing in mind Roman catholic tends to not favour those who have been divorced being married in a church for the second time.

I feel rather overwhelmed and both myself and partner are autistic so we tend to find change and new social situations stressful.

Does anyone have any helpful advise to help me stop the worry and feel a little more positive about this possibility? Our other option is for him to contract and return home for weekends from germany - which would be painful as my son is still so young and needs his daddy around:(

Is there anything I should consider before the move - we already live far away from family so family ties isn't a consideration - just the familiarity of 'home'.

Hi,

compulsory education starts in primary school (5 years olds), so you can homeschool your 3 year old or enrol him to kindergarten (state or private)
As to find the property you described, it is only question of money.

You wouldn't be able to marry in a Catholic church here at all being divorced. There use to be a couple of Anglican churches but I think there is only one left in Sliema now...That will need some research. Civil ceremonies are very nice over here though! 

As for your other questions, there are plenty of threads on here that will answer them for you as without any idea of income it's very hard to answer!

We will negotiate a wage based on cost of living basic expenses like rental costs etc with only the 3 of us and he need for rural setting I understand from estate agents that its Silema that's more expensive so I expect more for the money at the airport. I manage to keep grocery bills down to a minimum here we currently live on £60 a week, the rent is currently £600 a month so we are looking to keep to similar expenses.

Rent : can be cheaper out here -depends on time of year of looking size of property etc  if you want cheaper properties consider living inland , or in places without sea views, also avoid main tourist spots and look for property to rent outside of the main season  - http://maltapark.com/item.aspx?ItemID=3436077 - this is availble at present and is only 525 euros a month
Cost of living: some things work out more expensive .. mainly stuff that isnt made on the island  -also there are no massive tescos or anything so you shop at the local shops or lidl and some supermarkets depedning on the area you live in  (if you dont drive then you may be limited to bus routes and find yourself  shopping more than once a week ).... fruit and vegetables are good value especially from the local street sellers, markets are also  a great source of fruit, veg , fish etc. thought you want to get to these early , 
You can eat reasonably well without spending too much and by shopping around, if your good at cooking etc a home cooked meal can often work out pretty inexpensive ,  pastas, rices etc are cheap staple products
Also factor in the fact the majority of tapwater out here compared to the uk is simply not very nice  so you will need to purchase water in 2l bottles and whilst you can get cases of water for about 1.70 for 6 bottles these will soon add up

travel : buses are cheap out here , 6.50 for 7 days is great value however the downside is the bus service is often not reliable. lots of full buses or simply cancellations for no reason . Driving could be an option although the standard of driving here is not on a par with the UK and sometimes downright scary .
the island isnt that big though so if your happy to travel on the bus/drive then you could live anywhere on island and travel to the airport,

Re water. Cheaper to arrange an account and have water delivered in bulk, either 20L or 10L bottles. Use a dispenser, either electric or ceramic. Just topped up my account with 460L , works out at appx E2.50 per 10L

Thank you that's the best most informative answer I've had - I'm feeling very worried and am very glad you said about buying from lldi and markets as that's how I live here. It's still not been announced that the company may move labour over there but we are hopeful as the alternative is contracting to Germany - and it would upset family life. I am glad you said about the water and with the cost of that property you linked me to we would have another £100 a month to spare if we stayed on the same wage. Does everyone buy water then? Is it really that bad or is it safe for cooking after you get used to it?

All water from the kitchen is by law fit for drinking. It has been processed and doesn't taste good but I have always used it for cooking and hot drinks. Even with squashes sometimes. Most Maltese do the same.

The water is not bad and is perfectly safe but has a slight  taste.
We filter water for tea and coffee and use bottled water at 3.00 euros for 15 litres for drinking, everything else is tap water.

We cook with the water at home, but drinking it .. It's an acquired taste lol ,  so I buy water ,

We have never spent money on bottled water, we just use tap water. But then, we are from Yorkshire..... :)

I drink the supplied water but my wife cannot stand it. Just  a matter of taste, that's all.

Oh ok so bit like uk then hard water vs scottish water taste can change from chlorine smelly metallic to crisp and fresh depends on time of year and where you live. Thanks everyone very helpful.