Life with small children in Addis

Hello everyone,

I am totally new here, but have eagerly read many many discussions taking place on the forum, which have been very helpful. I am now daring to selfishly open a new topic and ask whether someone could advise me on life in Addis with a small child.
My boyfriend is most likely to accept a contract in Addis very soon; we have a nine months old son and I was wondering how is it for a westener to live in Ethiopia with such small child. I have no experience of Africa but if it wasn't for my son, I wouldn't be so picky :)
Any info regarding health issues, food, groceries, water (can you give a bath to a baby in tap water?) or availability of baby toiletries, such as nappies, would be greatly appreciated. I want to come as well, but just need a couple of assurances, I'm sure that any mother would understand..

Also, we learned that it is currently the rainy season in Ethiopia, how bad does it get? Should I wait till the end of the rain to come down?

Thanks a lot in advance, I'm really looking forward to the replies.

Cheers,
Zuzana

Hi Zuzana

I know it is worrying to move to a country you do not know and especially with a nine month old baby me and my wife have 8 year old son and we  moved from from London to leave here in ADDIS ABABA. We have found everything we need here you can get all brands of pampers,nappies,baby wipes,baby foods..... it is fine to use tap water for your baby bath but for your baby milk you will need to boil the water or use bottled water. My advise to you is you will find almost everything here in the supermarkets I will advise you who stocks what and the best brands you should you use if you are not familiar with some of the brands from Europe or South Africa or even locally produced. My wife have a shop called baby's world where you can find accessories and baby cribs to an European standard and import.

I hope you find this helpful and do not hesitate to contact me if you need further info.

Best of Luck.

Dear Olympus,
thank you for your reply, this is the sort of an answer I was looking for. You can imagine what I'm going through, relocation from London to Addis.. I will definitelly keep your wife's shop in mind - we will need a cot. If you spare another minute you can advise me on the location as well as couple of the names and locations of the supermarkets, I would really appreciate that. I will be pretty lost there otherwise! :)

Oh, one more thing, is it true that in Addis you don't have to fear malaria?

Thanks again

All the best
Zuzana

Hi Zuzana

I hope you felt much better there are a few supermarkets on bole Road Shoa Supermarket on Bole Road, Novis Supermarket on Bole Road, Bambis Supermarket on Haile Gebreselasy Road. Regarding Malaria yes you do not have to worry in Addis Ababa but if you travel out of Addis certain places you will have to take malaria tablets depending on the season and I advise you to bring a spray or cream that keeps them away once applied on your skin am sure you would find it where you are.

All the best and keep in touch.If you need any other info e.g housing, restaurants ...... let me know

Hello Olympus,
sorry for the delay, have been travelling a bit, not to Ethiopia yet, but my boyfriend is already there and looking for a house.  Thanks for all the info, I think the house he liked is in Bole so i hope i will get use out of the addresses and names you have given me.
Thanks again, i'll be in touch

zuzi83 wrote:

Hello Olympus,
sorry for the delay, have been travelling a bit, not to Ethiopia yet, but my boyfriend is already there and looking for a house.  Thanks for all the info, I think the house he liked is in Bole so i hope i will get use out of the addresses and names you have given me.
Thanks again, i'll be in touch

I am glad to hear you have fund a house If you need more info please do not hesitate to let me know my wife's shop is located on lafto recreation center which is a new place they have bowling center Olympic size swimming pool shopping .... it is by Old airport just behind St Gabriel church.