Citizenship in Brasil

Hi i would like to become a Brazilian citizen. i have lived here 8 years and have been married to a Brazilian for 9 years. i have permanent residence, a job, CPF. my question is, in all the information i see it states that through marriage i can become a citizen but i would like to know if i can do it without speaking Portuguese.
thank you mike

Hello Mike,

The short answer is no, you cannot obtain citizenship without passing the CELPE-Bras Portuguese language test, this is part of the requirements for any of the citizenship categories.

If you don't mind my asking, why would you want to apply for Brazilian citizenship at your age anyway? Are you aware that the ONLY rights that citizenship brings (that you don't already have as a permanent resident) are the ability to apply for public sector job competitions, to hold certain elected offices, to vote and to obtain a Brazilian passport. It also carries with it several rather heavy responsibilites and can have serious tax implications especially for anyone who is a citizen of a country that does not have a bilateral tax treaty with Brazil too. Tax implications that can be particularly onerous for the elderly who have to try to get by on a small, fixed retirement pension.

I wouldn't even consider it at my age (65 years) since none of the above are anything that I would in any way consider as being benefits. I already hold a passport that is ranked #3 on the Henley & Partners list, while Brazil's is #19. I don't intend to work in either the public or private sector anymore and I sure wouldn't vote for anyone in this country nor would I want to become a politician and associate with any of them either. If I'm going to go to all the expense and put up with all the bureaucracy of doing anything in this country, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm only going to do that for something WORTHWHILE and that brings me some kind of benefit. To my way of thinking Brazilian citizenship comes nowhere even close to meeting that standard.

Yes, it is beneficial for young people who already have citizenship and passports in other countries that are far more advantageous, but for anyone getting near retirement age it simply isn't worth the bother.

Dear William,

First let me start by thanking you for all your effort, advice and time you put in guiding people in need. I have been reading most of your posts on Brazilian Citizenship and I need your guidance.

I am Brazilian and was able to issue the RNE for my wife and she received the card 10 months ago, and we have been blessed with a little girl 3 months back and issued her the certidao de nascimento. So my question is what is the next step for my wife to get the Brazilian citizenship as i have no idea what to do and what are the condition for her to be eligable for the citizenship. The reason why I want the passport for her is because I work for a multi-national company and is always traveling and some times projects extends more than 2 years the case in which i have to send her back to Brazil to avoid losing her RNE.

Thanks in advance.

Hello konfo,

Thanks first off for actually showing me that there really is another benefit to citizenship. I never really thought about the 2 year rule, but you're absolutely correct.

For ORDINARY naturalization for anyone who is married to a Brazilian citizen or who has a Brazilian child their application for naturalization can be accepted after 1 year of permanent residency in Brazil. Let me just qualify that by stating clearly that their definition of permanent residency means, from the date one is actually granted the VIPER, so the date of publication in the DOU.

Applicants must meet all the other requirements for Ordinary Naturalization, which includes passing the CELPE-Bras proficiency test in the Portuguese language.

Check out the Ministério da Justiça website link below for all the information on "Naturalização Comum"

Ordinary Naturalization

You will probably need to speak to a lawyer who deals with immigrations issues.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team