Questions about Sao Paulo Life - for someone about to arrive

I'm interested in learning about ways I can get to the beach with the most ease, with 2 children (if that's possible)! Also, good places to take the children in the city. Any on-line grocery shopping with delivery? Nanny agencies? Any etiquette that is important, do I tip? Can you ride around the city without getting hurt on scooters/bikes? I love an international lifestyle, with every new move there's so much to learn, thanks for taking the time to help inform me!
Regards,
Elizabeth

Hi PoppyRose,

I've lived in Brazil for almost 13 years now in 5 different states. I don't know anyone in Brazil with a motorcycle that isn't already DEAD or at the very least hasn't had a serious accident. Don't even think about motorcycles or scooter they're just an invitation to problems here. If you don't get yourself killed or maimed, you'll probably be the target of somebody trying to steal the motorbike at gunpoint sooner or later. DON'T BY A MOTORBIKE HERE!!!

Bicycles are okay for getting around in your neighborhood, but while the city does have bike lanes they are few and far between. Motorists don't respect them, there are numerous accidents with bicycles because the motorists in this country feel THEY own the road and won't share it with other motorists, let alone cyclists who they feel just don't belong on the road at all. When cycling you need to have eyes in the back of your head (literally and figuratively).

Tipping is always optional, however some establishments like bars and restaurants build in a 10% charge for "service" which is a clear violation of the Código de Defesa do Consumidor and you can demand be removed from the bill. The same rules of thumb apply for tipping here as anywhere else, 10 - 15% if the service is good, don't penalize the server if the food was bad but the service was good, things like that. Fast food restaurants don't allow tipping. If you find a really good taxi driver ALWAYS tip him and get his card or at least his cellular phone number. I found a real prince in São Paulo (zona oeste), he was a wonderful old gentleman, gave excellent service, and because I tipped and we became friends came out of his home to rescue me several times during heavy rains and flooding in the neighborhood when other cabs wouldn't even stop to pick people up.

While there are online supermarkets that offer delivery, I really wouldn't trust them to choose the best of what is in stock. You're talking about BRAZIL here, not London, New York or Toronto. Things we take for granted because they work so well back home just don't here. Go to the supermarket yourself, and arrange for delivery or take a cab home. Imported foods, best place in São Paulo that I know is Casa Santa Luzia - fantastic!  www.santaluzia.com.br

Getting to the beach is going to be a real adventure you'll need to take a bus from Rodviária Tietê and it's a trip that can last several hours (one way). While lots of people go to Praia Grande and Guarujá, they are clearly NOT the safest places in Brazil and you'll need to take precautions there.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Thanks for your honesty. I'm disappointed to hear about this beach situation. I'm going to have to work on finding the best solution for this. You mention your taxi guy, is he a part of a taxi company? Or does he drive his own car and have his own service? In Shanghai here - were we have been the past 7 years, there are the taxi companies and then many private drivers. I'm wondering if I can hire a driver on occasion. If one sets-off to the beach super early (like 6am) with a driver - how long do you think it would take to get there?

Most taxi drivers in São Paulo belong to large co-operatives, but they own their own vehicles. They get radio dispatched from a central number and also pick up passengers at specified cab stands. Most taxi drivers will give you their cellular phone number (or card) if you ask for it, so if you find a particular driver you like and who gives you excellent service don't hesitate to ask for his number. Just remember that São Paulo is an enormous city and your new-found taxi buddy may be at the other end of the city when you most need him, so this isn't always going to work out for you. My old guy was rather old and liked staying in the bairro if he could so I didn't usually have any problems regarding his lack of availability or long waits.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team