New member living in Brazil

Have just moved to Sao Paulo in Brazil. anyone got any tips or recommendations?

I'm also writing a blog so please check it out and let me know what you think. It is mainly a catalogue of my embarrassing attempts to adjust to life here!

Ooops, by the way the link is here http://thebookisonthetable.me

Cheers!

Hi Andy,  my name's Dan.  I was just wondering if I could possibly ask a few questions about the process of moving from the UK to Brazil if that's ok with you?

Sure, what do you want to know?

Awesome, well I'm interested to know about people's experience in moving to Brazil.  For example, why you went in the first place and what gave you the opportunity to go.  I wouldn't plan on moving just yet as I'm in the process of becoming a qualified accountant which will take another 2 1/2 years if I'm lucky.  But I want to get my homework done as soon as possible so I can be well prepared when the time comes.  I've already begun learning the language, albeit as a complete newbie.  But my main question and worry is about the process of being able to work in Brazil, hopefully on a permanent basis.  What process do you go through to become elegible to work there permanently, including obtaining the relevent visas and pre-move research.  And what are the first steps to take from the UK to research this, who would I talk to?  Sorry about the volume of questions, but any insight you could give would be a great help.  Cheers.

Well I'm married to a Brazilian to my situation is a little different. We lived in the UK for the past 3 years but my job ended and she needed to finish her degree in Sao Paulo so it worked out perfectly.

In terms of different types of visa check out this site - http://www.consbraslondres.com/index.ph … es&aux=1#9 - as it gives info on different types of visa and how to go about applying for them.

Hope that helps a little and that it works out for you. Brazil is an amazing place so you definitely wouldn't regret making the move!

Dan,

I had to do that and here is a quick list of what you need to do, the link above is correct and has all the details you need.

1. Give yourself six months to get a visa before you travel to work [for a visit you dont need a visa but you can only stay for a certain period of time]
2. You need a company to sponsor you and proof that they have agreed to employ you [signed contract of employment].
3. You need to get your contracts of employment, job descriptions and references notarised by a notary public in brasil and send them to be officially translated in brasil along with all education certificates.
[n.b. the brasilian government will assess your ability to do the job you have been offered so the contracts etc must show expertise in the field.
4. You sponsoring company will then lodge these with the brasilian governement who, if they accept, will inform the consulate in london to give u a visa.
5. you need to send to the consulate a filled out application form, payment and police certificate to the consulate.
6. Finally you travel to the consulate, give them your passport and wait 5-10 days for them to return it.

I think that is about it!

Thanks guys, some pretty helpful stuff there and I really appreciate it.  Seems like quite a daunting process to go through but as long as there's time to research then i'm sure it can be done.  There is a slim possibility that the firm I am with can help to some extent but that is dependent on a number of factors.  Look forward to hearing how things develop. Cheers.

Hi Andy

since its been a while since you moved here. I had some questions.

how do you like SP
are there any US food chains in /near SP

thanks

I'm really liking SP and not missing much about UK life at all really..apart from people that I miss.

There are US food chains but I haven't been to any. If you like meat then there is really no need to. They are also quite expensive as well.

Hi Andy,

Welcome to Brazil and especially to São Paulo

Cheers

Hi people,I really want to ask a question about Brazil,it is that if Sao Paulo is really a good city to live in?because i'll go to there as tourist,and want also to ask about the procedures of marrying a brazilian girl and be able to work i there even on a tourist visa.Cheers

Samitto
You will love Sao Paulo, the people, the food, the city...everything. Once you there, I would recommend the Irish pub Omalleys, near to Consolacao subway at jardins. They usually have a lot brands of beers and live band. Also you will meet a lot foregneirs and also brazilian (I met my american husband there :-) ). I miss Sao Paulo so much, once per year I try come back with my kids. Dont forget to try coxinha, pao de queijo, pastel and empada lol Even the pizza there is better because they cook it in a real pizza oven.

You will love Sao Paulo!