Visitors MUST come to KSA by air. Can they leave by Bahrain Causeway?

My brother, a UK national, has a single exit/entry visa to visit me in KSA. When applying for the visa the agent in UK told him recent rulings meant he can ONLY enter KSA by air. So he came via Dammam Airport. For the exit, must he go back by air... or can he go across the causeway to Bahrain to catch a flight back to London?  Did anyone experience any problems exiting via causeway lately? Thanks in advance for any help

There should be no problem exiting from causeway. I do not think so.

The only problem will be if he gets turned back on the causeway and misses his flight back to London. If he goes a day early he'll have the time to catch a flight (to Bahrain) instead, or 24 hours to burn in Bahrain (there are many ways to enjoy yourself in Bahrain, so I've been told).

I hadn't heard of the 'only fly' rule before, and have been overland to Bahrain and Jordan many times, on a multi exit/entry visa only. I expect it's a security issue as there are no x-ray machines on the land borders.

The standard visit visa is entry via the airport, but you can apply for an 'entry by road' visa if you want to come in over the causeway, but you should tell the authorities when applying that it is a first time entry (on that specific passport), however it may still be rejected at the bridge!

If you do enter via Bahrain, note there is now an disembarkation card to complete on entry and a payment of BD2/SAR20/$8/5 quid) in customs.

Dear Fellow Bloggers,

Many thanks for all your advice and input.

He got through the causeway on a taxi. It must be something to do with problems they have with fingerprinting machines on the causeway. I've heard they don't always work and maybe the scans have to be sent to Riyadh and approval received before the person is let in.

We knew about the 'entry by road' option but the agents in UK told us that this method has now been stopped.

I've had the same experience as Homerkjs.  My Son came in from Bahrain without a problem and my daughter came into Dammam and out through the causeway.  Just be sure to specify King Fahad Causeway on the application.  Thee biggest issues that I have found is that the company admins (usually Lebanese) like to play games to add to the mystery and buggeration of Saudi Arabia.