Is it a norm for employers to want to keep your passport?

Is it normal for employers to indicate in your contract that they are to keep your passport in their position for the length of your contract? If so, why us this done. This seems like a form of imprisonment!

Youre lucky if its indicated in the contract. As for my experience its not indicated in the contract. But most of the company take their employees passport for security purposes. That is the common practice here.

drizarra wrote:

Youre lucky if its indicated in the contract. As for my experience its not indicated in the contract. But most of the company take their employees passport for security purposes. That is the common practice here.

I think its actually to prevent the employees escaping from their job and leave the country. According to the rules no one can take your passport. For VISA, accommodation, insurance etc. employers are investing huge amount of money.  But since nobody want to loose their job they agree to keep their passport with employer.

When I first arrived my company stated they required to hold on to all passports. However I discovered that once your residents visa is processed you can request to withdraw your passport and they can't refuse.

I now keep mine with me, but yea they tend to do it so you can't go AWOL.

Your passport is the property of the country that issued the passport and so any company keeping the passport is committing an offense against the issuing country.
The company can hold the passport temporarily whilst visas are being issued but after that has been finalized then the passport has to be returned to the holder.

After 40+ years of travel and work overseas I am well aware of this.

Is not normal unless they are processing your visa for residency. Do not allow any one take your passport for any other circumstances, the Middle East is known for slave labor. Be careful !!

After issuing your visa they have no right to hold your passport, however most of companies doing the same and asked to keep the passport with HR, out of my point of view as long as its big company i don't see any problem since you can take it back whenever you want it, and they cant play with you, you have the full right to take it back any time.

I've seen it happen on numerous occasions. I actually know one guy who switched an old passport for his new one and fled the UAE. The company was irate. Needless to say, I never did business with them again.

my friend, it happens only when you allow it. because it's against the law of UAE. even against the international law, because your passport is not your property, it's property of your country, that's why no entity has any right to keep it. and as i previously noted, it's against the law of this country (UAE) to keep passports of other individuals. tell that to your employers, that they'll have legal liability if they force you to leave your passport with them under direct of indirect threats of discharge or contract termination. tell them also that will make you liable, under the law of your country, for leaving your passport with another entity rather than yourself.

It's normal for low-paid employees, but it is also illegal. The police retrieve passports from employers every day.

Before my wife and I were married, her employer kept harassing her and telling her to give them her passport. Finally I told her to ask for a letter demanding the passport and explaining why they needed it. The requests stopped immediately because they didn't want a paper-trail to prove they were in violation of the law.

Don't worry about passport,it's safe with them...any time u want,they will give u,,,they can't stop it,,,it's ur property

you must be management desert man. No one should trust their passport with an employer.

I am management but also employee,ur passport with company and labour card with u in return,if u have labour card,it means ur passport with employer,,,,it's not a matter of trust,,,,it's understood that ur passport with employer,,,regarding trust,if u will not trust ur employer with whom u r working why employer trust u ???give u job,salary,benefits......actually mutual understanding of both employee and employer....but for sure,no one can stop ur passport from u even for a single day,when ever u need it ,give labour card and take ur passport

i'm searching for people like you, desertman, to report them to the UAE law enforcement agencies, if i could get to know your details, i will inform them about you immediately because people like you should be stopped by the force of law. because people like you have no regard for humanity. humans are not animals that you control and manipulate with your mean ways and tactics. i'm advising you to release the passports you're keeping and ease the lives you're controlling. take this as an ultimatum.

desertman01 wrote:

I am management but also employee,ur passport with company and labour card with u in return,if u have labour card,it means ur passport with employer,,,,it's not a matter of trust,,,,it's understood that ur passport with employer,,,regarding trust,if u will not trust ur employer with whom u r working why employer trust u ???give u job,salary,benefits......actually mutual understanding of both employee and employer....but for sure,no one can stop ur passport from u even for a single day,when ever u need it ,give labour card and take ur passport

i'm searching for people like you, desertman, to report them to the UAE law enforcement agencies, if i could get to know your details, i will inform them about you immediately because people like you should be stopped by the force of law. because people like you have no regard for humanity. humans are not animals that you control and manipulate with your mean ways and tactics. i'm advising you to release the passports you're keeping and ease the lives you're controlling. take this as an ultimatum.

Employers are not legally allowed to keep the passports of their employees!

Ooooffffff,I get afraid from u...Mr soldier of universe,,,I don't want any argument with u...I text u just for information purpose...what do u think Mr.Sudan that government autherities do t know...may be in Sudan authorities sleeping but here,they are not aleeping that why ppl like u are here for Jobs....it's up to u and ur employer that he keep it or not keep it....so stop threatining and stop replying...cause u take it personal and herw nothing is personal

A passport is FIRST and foremost property of the COUNTRY that issues it. This is why they can revoke a passport and demand that you return it to them.

NEXT it is property of the person to whom it is issued.

In most countries (but certainly in Canada and the USA) it is considered a criminal offense to retain a person's passport. If your employer insists that you hand over your passport tell him/her that you will gladly provide them with a copy of both the identification page and visa page, but you will not turn over the original passport under any circumstances. If the employer still insists let him/her know that you will contact your Embassy/Consulate regarding the issue. I'm sure that will resolve your problem. Employers know that they can't demand employees surrender their passports, despite the fact that it is common practice or not, it is still illegal.

If the employer already has possession of your passport then demand that they make a photocopy and return the original immediately. Should they refuse to do so then contact the authorities (police and your Embassy/Consulate).

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

No! They have no right to do that. They can take a copy of it, but not take it from you without your consent. If you ask for it, they should hand it over to you without any questions asked. If they ask to keep hold of it, I would question the company you're working for.

Good luck!

energetic wrote:

it happens do not worry

Could you please give us some information as to why this happens and why people do not have to worry. Having your passport held illegally by a company is cause for worry.

The practice is no more allowed and you can request your passport anytime.