Moving to Malta! Could need some advice, please! :)

Hallo everybody!
I am a German music teacher and I finally decided to move to Malta!
I saved up some money and learned to speak a bit Maltese.
But now more and more questions come to my mind every day. Questions like:

1. I have to decide very soon, whether to move in JUNE or in the second half of AUGUST.
So, what do you think, when would I have a better chance to get a job (waiting, cleaning, whatever there is)?
In the middle of the peak season or afterwards?
I mean, surely a lot of foreigners plus the Maltese citizens want to have a summer job themselves.
So, wouldn't it be better to search for a job after the summer months?

2. What exactly do I need to get a visa after the first 3 months?

3. Is it true, that in Malta you can earn up to around 700,- per month without paying taxes?
If that's true, can you combine a taxfree job with a full time job?

4. What are the odds of getting an employment licence for me, moving to Malta from Germany?

5. Would it be easier to get settled in Malta, if I started my own business? (Which is my longterm plan anyway.)

Wow, I'm sorry for asking so many questions at once!

Tislima mill-Germanja,
Jackie

Hi Jackie,

welcome to the Malta Forums.
I'm just gonna go through your questions briefly. i'm sure there is much more to be said, but it's late now.

1. The times are always good for a German to find jobs in Malta. You have the company of Besedo, that take about anyone, but they are a bit well annoying, to say the least. There is a humongous iGaming industry here, and they are all desperately looking for bilingual English-German speakers, so if your English is good, you have good chances of earning at least 18k a year in iGaming customer support. It best to register with the agency's first. If you're lucky, the company will even pa for your relocation to Malta. Good agency's are bettingconnections and pentasia. There are plenty more that you can find on the Internet, google careerjet malta.

2. Malta is in the EU, you don't need a visa. However, you will have to apply for permanent residency if you want to stay longer than 3 months. you can find plenty of infos in this forum or on the Internet on how to apply. Basically it's easier to have a job first, and then apply. However, no one cares if you apply after 3 months, 3 days, or 6 months. You won't get kicked out of the country and they are not going to hunt you either. They have like 2 people doing 50.000 applications at the moment, so everyone waits like 6 months for their card. I still haven't applied, cos I'm too lazy to go to Valetta in the morning.

3. What you say makes no sense. How would you combine a tax free job with a full time job? i don't quite understand, but I'm gonna try to explain the tax system here. Firstly, you have a tax allowance (read more here http://www.ird.gov.mt/services/taxrates.aspx). Single person it's 8,501 a year, so roughly 700 a month. Every income above this threshold will be taxed accordingly. If you have two jobs, the income from two jobs will be combined. You also have to pay national insurance. Depending on the job around 10% or a fixed amount of like 135 a month. Ultimately, the taxes here are much lower than in good ole Germany, but you pay a little more for stuff, as everything is imported.

4. There is no such thing as an employment license. It's the EU, and you can just come here and work. You follow the normal procedure of getting a social security number, and then a bank account and residence permit.

5. if your own business is easier than other employment depends solely on your kind of business. To move here, you just find a flat, pay rent, and get your ID eventually. It's not really much hassle. If you need advice on your own business startup, you can contact one of the many start up help companies, or if you just want to be self employed, you can find infos about that on the net. I'm self employed and it's all easy as pie. There is not much bureaucracy.

I would also suggest that you read in the forums, I'm sure you can find many answers in there too, and also flat shares if that's what you're after.

Good luck.
Laura

Hi and just to add to mio's input,

if job seeking you do not have to 'apply' for residency in 90 days, latest information is that you will have up to 6 months before having to do so.

If you are an EU citizen you have a right to reside and work on the Maltese islands but you are required to inform the authorities within 90 days of arrival If seeking to reside beyond this time. (Job seeking exceptions apply when you may have up to 6 months). The method of informing the authorities is to complete their e-residence procedure and apply for the issue of an e-residence card.

From https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316705
which may help to illustrate some of what you may need to do as an EU citizen.

If you want to start your own business pay a visit to businessfirst.com.mt. Free advisory services, you will get all the information and papers you need to register and be self-employed. Very easy and straightforward. If you have a job, you can be part-time self employed.

you dont need Permanent Residency at all - thats an entirely different thing for sure what you need is e-residency

Thank you all so much for your quick answers!
You've helped me a lot already!

There is so much information in the world wide web about what you supposedly need to do to get settled in Malta.
The more I read the more I got confused. Expecially since you never really know which information is still valid and which not.

So thanks a lot!

of yes, the e-residency is what I meant... it was late, and I kinda forgot what it was, as I still haven't applied yet. I once contacted business first, and they were not really helpful, but I guess it depends on the person you speak to. I had to call the inland revenue three times and each time they said something else. Malta can be a little bit confusing, but I think that's normal here, that A doesn't know what B does. But no one really hassles you about it. If you want to start up a real company, I would suggest help from outside, if you just want to be self employed, it's quite easy to do the paperwork yourself.
If you read the infos here in this forum, they are quite up to date if you don't go too far back with the posts. Also you can find up to date infos and jobs on careerjet, the inland revenue, business first, and the residency government websites. BUT don't let all the information confuse you too much.

JackieGold wrote:

Thank you all so much for your quick answers!
You've helped me a lot already!

There is so much information in the world wide web about what you supposedly need to do to get settled in Malta.
The more I read the more I got confused. Expecially since you never really know which information is still valid and which not.

So thanks a lot!

Well Jackie, it seems that you have come to the right place then.  The information supplied above is second to none and what is expected from the people of this forum. When you get to Malta make sure you get along to one of the weekly meets and a whole new world will open up for you.

Good Luck

Mike

Thanks again for all the nice replies!
I already feel more secure about the whole moving thing than I did two days ago.

I have more or less decided now to move to Malta in the second half of August and  to try my luck to find a job for September or October.
I think the 10th of June (and that is the earliest I could leave Germany) is already too late to find a summer job.
So I think I'll try to find something right after the peak season.

My question is:
Could you maybe share your experience concerning finding a job and a room in September/October?
For the first few weeks at least I can probably stay with my former host family...

Regards,
Jackie  :cool:

Hello Jackie,

as I mentioned before with the jobs, you can do that from Germany. Just look at careerjet Malta, and register with the agencys. You might be lucky and if you find a good company, they will even pay for your relocation, which is a plane ticket, and often also a hotel until you've found a flat. Finding a place usually also depends on your budget, and your own pickyness. You can find a job in June. Or any time really. Your English sounds good, so why not apply in iGaming. It's way better paid than waiter jobs. For these you can expect the minimum wage of around 4.50-5 euros. In iGaming you make around 10 per hour. I would strongly suggest using your language skill to your advantage. Not really sure why you would want a low paid job when you could try to get a better paid one....

Also from September-October, many people leave the island again. This means, there will be less summer jobs, but more rooms, and a much larger selection of flats available. Also more German speaking jobs are usually available then. Since I've lived here, agencys constantly call me up, and ask me if I have changed my mind about working in iGaming, so I think there are lots of opportunities, even if you have no experience.

Hope this info helps.

Laura

Thanks Laura!
I just started looking into the whole iGaming thing. Sounds interesting! Although I really don't have any experience in that field...
And I will definitely register with an agency!

August gets more and more interesting, also because it means being able to save up a bit more money until then.
And you are right, I haven't thought about having a larger selection of rooms and flats, once the summer workers are gone.

So it looks like I still have 5 months left to get everything organized.
During the next weeks I will definitely inform myself more about iGaming and careerjet.

Again thanks for the help,
Jackie  :)

Hi,

I used to work in Malta a couple of years ago. Here a couple of thoughts. If you're a German citizen; You don't need anything to work in Malta. If you can go to Malta in early June, do so. August is a really hot month and it is very hard to get anything done. Especially if you are not used to very hot hot hot heat, you might be surprised.

If your ultimate goal is to start up your own business, try to find a job in the branch you loved. Don't waste your time doing jobs which are unrelated with your plan. Foreign diplomas and degrees are really appreciated in Malta, so don't sell yourself cheap when you're looking for jobs.

If you don't speak fluent Maltese, it is okay. Most people speak perfect English. The young generation is perfectly fluent.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks for your post!
Well, I know how hot it can get in August! I've been to Malta 15 times now and most of the times I stayed there in August...  :cool:
But I guess it wouldn't be much easier to start working in July and then having to deal with the heat...

My profession is teaching music, especially conducting choirs.
I guess it will take some time to build up a reputation in that particular sector and find the right people to get something started with...
That is why at first I am willing to take any job I can get.
First goal is simply to be able to afford living in Malta.

But ultimately I would like to have one or two choirs again, work as a vocal coach, piano teacher, event singer and backround singer.

I guess I just have to be patient and open to other jobs at first..

:)

Hi Jackie,

a Maltese friend sings in a very successful choir so I can put you in contact with her after you arrive if you want . Maybe you can get some good tips or contact information from her.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi,

I am new here and wanted to get various ideas and advice.

I am planning to move to Malta with my wife. I am a British Citizen from birth. The advise I wanted was this.

I have been applying for jobs from outside of Malta for some months and don't seem to be getting anywhere. I had one or two replies to say that the position had been filled. After these replies I am thinking that they would want someone who is able to fill a position quickly instead of them having to wait for me to come over.

The advice I would like is if it is a good idea to go over to Malta and try and look for work inside the country? I have a flat that I can rent out in Belarus but I do not plan to rely on this income, however it is nice to fall back on. I know I can go for upto 3 months but would have to find work if want to stay longer. Of course, I would like to find work as soon as I can.

Do you think the above idea is good or just plain silly!

Jobs looking for; call centre or cleaning (part-time). I have tried HSBC but was rejected.

Many thanks,

Chris

Hi, as a job seeker here you will have 6 months in which to find a job before 'notifying the authorities' of taking up residence.
Most advice is that it is always better to job search from here and present your CV personally.
See this for some guidance upon what you would do when here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316705

Good luck  :)

Far easier to find a job if you are in Malta.
Call centres are always recruiting.

Terry

@Ricky: Wow, that would be great!  :top:
Thanks!

tearnet wrote:

Far easier to find a job if you are in Malta.
Call centres are always recruiting.

Terry

Thank you so much for that, it increases my confidence in finding a job.

Best to speak to a Notary who will be able to assist with all aspects of moving to Malta!
Good luck.

I actually don't think this is necessary. Malta's bureaucracy is not complicated and basically everything you need to know has been mentioned in this topic already. It's really easy and straight forward, especially for EU members. Save your money and spend it on drinks at expat meetings. . :)

I'm not sure what a notary has to do with residency for EU citizens in Malta. You are probably better off following the information given on the forum. And certainly cheaper !

What specific help do you expect from a notary Wilderbank?

In any case good luck with your move.

Ricky

Hi,
We seem to be in the same boat, chrisc58. My husband is still waiting for some answers after Skype interviews, but we've started to be less optimistic for getting a job while still abroad.
Unfortunately, we are not able to risk much as we have a baby, loans and other obligations that can't be put.. on hold :)

I was wondering if there are any successful stories of getting hired  before relocating to Malta. And if there is, we would highly appreciate some info regarding the recruitment process and what type of job/ company was it.

Thank you,

Hi Chris,
you should apply at Centrecom.eu as "English Speaking Call Centre Agent".
They have a large UK assignment and are recruiting British native speakers.
Although the salary is far away from the iGaming companies, the company is quite ok  :)

Hi Jackie,
same suggestion to you as "German Speaker". Salary is lower, yes, but the working hours are also better to combine with your own business  :)
And there are tax benefits for working as full time employee and part-time self-employer.

Thanks Ricky - we have actually reconsidered and will probably cancel the meeting!   Save some cash!! :)

Hi,

Thank you so much will be applying as soon as possible. Will tart my cv up.

Do you know their pay and recruitment process by any chance? Location easy to get to?

Regards,

The call center is located at the old Airport. Easy to get there by bus and also ample parking.
In my case the whole recruitment process from sending the CV to start working there took only about 2 weeks.
Salary depends on position, how many languages you know and the working hours depending on the project you're working on.

(Moderated: Inappropriate posting)

Hi Alexandros,

nice advice ! But you still are in Malta yourself according to your own info ! Why ?

You are Greek ? Should I comment on Greece the way you comment on Malta?  Better not ..... but I could say a lot !

Please change your profile if you have left Malta! 

Cheers
Ricky

well spoken ricky. while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if you don't like a place just leave! Name me a place that is perfect Alessandro

matm911:
First of all thanks for the info!
Do you know more about combining a full-time job with being part-time self-employed???
:)

Alexandros, in your profile you state 'I am a pensioner university professor.'
I don't believe you as an educated man would not write in the way you have.
That writing is of an ignorant uneducated person. If you are no longer on Malta, please, do not concern yourself.
Personally, I do not believe you are who you wish to appear to be.

HI Alexandros,

I regret that you had such a bad experience at this lovely island.  I am Maltese myself and I don't recall that I ever hated foreigners, nor wanted their company for their money.  In fact most of my friends come from a foreign country.
If Malta and its people are dirty like a garbage can and illiterate people, why did you stay here for two and half years? It doesn't make any sense!!
Unfortunately I can understand that you had some awful experiences here, but it doesn't mean that it is the norm.  Maybe it was you who were not fully compliant with the environment here

A traveller came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.
"What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.
"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer, answering the question with another question.
"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."
"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.
Disappointed, the traveller trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.
Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.
"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.
"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."
"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."

horses for courses - make the best of what there is, and if you cant, try to change it if you can and if it fails move on.

Jackie, if you are working as full time employee - and therefore pay taxes and NI - you can benefit from a 15% tax rate (instead of 35%) for your part-time self employed activities. see here. And if your annual turnover is less than 14k, you can also apply for VAT exemption.
I make it the "Maltese way": First work and make your money, and later on, your tax advisor will find the best solution for your specific situation  :)
(ok, there are some things you should consider beforehand, so best is to ask a local tax advisor if you know your "setup")