Coming to Malaysia

Hi Everyone, if you read my profile you will find out a little about me. I am looking at locating to Malaysia soon for business, and adventure. I want to do this right and so I need help from real people about what to expect, what not to do, what to do, etc. Things like: appropriate clothing, gestures of respect, customs, transportation, emergency health care (should I need it), language barriers (I only speak English right now), where I can work out (I love lifting weights and cardio at the gym). This is a big step for me. I have been to different countries as a tourist, but not as someone who blends in with society and gets to know people. I would welcome any suggestions and insight into how I cam make this a positive experience for myself and people I meet. Thank you.

You could create a branch of your US company here - its business development activities but you can get a work permit as a Director to generate business for your US company  - no activities or income allowed in Malaysia though. You could also look at Labuan companies or mainland Malaysia companies, but would be looking to have active business in Malaysia via this route and income in other currencies than Malaysian Ringitt.. Basically said, you need an employment pass or investor/business owner pass to stay in Malaysia.  Or look up MM2H.  It requires income and deposits but you can operate your offshore business on this programme.

Thank you so much. That is very useful information. Have a wonderful day!

Hi Gravitas (very nice name), will Malaysia accept people in relationship marketing? Is that an acceptable business venture there?

hi, my name is nasim,iv visited kl few times.im also thinking of business and adventure as well as traveling in asia. iv made a few friends there and will probably rent a flat there. where are you coming from?

Hi there, I am Mike, I live in Malaysia for business and adventure too.

Roteri - this link may help you decide on whether a Branch Office is suitable and other info around working and staying in Malaysia - http://malaysiabizadvisory.com/malaysia … oreigners/

This is about companies and how they are vetted - http://malaysiabizadvisory.com/business … oreigners/

Your area does not appear on the restricted businesses list - http://malaysiabizadvisory.com/business … oreigners/

Generally, the panel on the right hand side when you reach any one of these links, contains valuable information.

Thank you so much, again.

Hi relationship marketing is the complete opposite of local.practice..here it is very short teem sales led marketing. Customer satisfaction is a bad word!

Although of course you will hear the opposite so opportunitiesfor you as a consultant. But  do emphasise that relationship marketing is about boosting sales massively and making lots of money in the short term.

If you can handle those sorts of arguments you will do well!

Thank you for your insight. It is very helpful. I am counting on people using the products all their lives and so look at long term residual income. I sell to customers and not to try and get distributors so much. That means no big bonuses but lots of customers.  I know that is different than what people generally do, but I see this as long term. Does that make a difference?

roteri wrote:

Hi Everyone, if you read my profile you will find out a little about me. I am looking at locating to Malaysia soon for business, and adventure. I want to do this right and so I need help from real people about what to expect, what not to do, what to do, etc. Things like: appropriate clothing, gestures of respect, customs, transportation, emergency health care (should I need it), language barriers (I only speak English right now), where I can work out (I love lifting weights and cardio at the gym). This is a big step for me. I have been to different countries as a tourist, but not as someone who blends in with society and gets to know people. I would welcome any suggestions and insight into how I cam make this a positive experience for myself and people I meet. Thank you.

1. Clothing - depends on what you do I suppose. I'm sure it would be awkward to meet your clients in short pants and t-shirt? :D

The weather in Malaysia at the moment is hot with dry spell due to the prolonged drought. In certain places, it has not rain for 2-3 months :(

2. Gesture of respect, customs - Nothing much here. You respect us, we respect you. Its kind of mutual.

3. Transportation - the public transport (MRT/LRT/Monorial) in KL offers much more choices as compared to Penang & Johor.

4. Emergency Health care - Malaysia was voted no 3 in terms of healthcare, but I can't remember from where I read that article from. Best of all, it does not costs that much as compared to the medical costs in the US.

Major healthcare insurance are also here. People like Prudential, AIA, Allianz, Axa.... to name a few.

5. Folks in the city mostly speaks and understand English.

6. Gyms are everywhere, you need not have to worry about this.

First priority would be to decide where to open business, where to stay and on what kind of visa you will be here.

Thank you so much roystevenung! I was afraid, because of my ignorance, that perhaps females would not be able to work out at gyms, and move around freely. I know, I am a sheltered person and have not been very worldly, but I am excited to expand my knowledge and understanding.

Well I can't speak for others but I wear shorts and T-shirts mostly, drive an SUV, consultancy with doctors costs upwards of US$25 and I use Pacific Insurance being one of the cheapest and fastest paying. It's pretty westernized here in Malaysia but you shoudn't openly talk about politics or religion as a foreigner. It's a very easy place to come and live or visit.

Thank you Mike Wallace. The more I learn the more I hear that I like.

I mean it is the truth that I think the products are great and I won't be concentrating on signing up distributors. I don't mean that would be my "pitch."