Feeling weird!

Hey all, I have recently migrated to Malaysia from New Zealand and am feeling kinda strange. All of a sudden I have no one to hang out with.

I am generally a very social person and back home I am always surrounded by lots of friends. I would love to make new friends here but I can't exactly approach someone and strike up a conversation. Thus the reason why I am on this site.

Apart from the internet, has anyone got any ideas on making new friends in KL?

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

hi pebbles
i am caesar ,, and i live in bangsar
wud love to be your friend
give me a buzz 016 5688969
warm regards
caesar

hi peebles, i am up for a drink..we can share our experience being expat :)

Hi Peebles..
how are you doing? I am an expat living in Malaysia for almost 3 years. but its not easy to make friends out there thats true!
We can meet up any time for drink or hang out you can msg me any time.

Well, like my other post, just randomly striking up conversations helps but people in KL tend to be very protective and not talk to you if you do that. You'd probably get lucky 1/100 of the time I suppose. Other than that we could all just go for a drink sometime :)

Hi Peebles. I am a local and sorry to hear that you are feeling weird here. Sometimes when you tend to talk to someone here and if you dun get a response, one of the reasons i can think of is... either they dun speak English or they arent fluent enough to carry out a conversation. well, if you are still feeling weird, gimme a call and friendship can always start from a tele-conversation. :)

Cheers.

Ivy - 016-926 9920

Hey there, feel much the same myself mate, I've only been here for twelve days but it does feel quite different to what I'm used to.
Everyone I speak to seems very nice, but I still feel every bit the foreigner.
I'm going to make the effort to learn more of the language, but as that's not my strong suit, it may take me a while.
Several people are talking about getting together elsewhere for an Xmas meal, maybe that's a good place to start ?

Hi,
Ijust moved to KL two weeks ago with my family and i totally know what you mean about feeling wierd. I suppose we are just used to having friends around and knowing how everything works.
Anyway, my husband is a fellow Brummy...Great Barr to be precise. If you fancy getting in contact then my email is [email protected]
Jo

Hey guys...

I have been feeling quite the same... and since there is a critical mass of people here... how about arranging a meeting... just a normal sit down dinner and we all can meet and perhaps become friends. What say guys?

BTW... what are people doing for Christmas...?

heya :D
how are u doing?
hope malaysia is treating u well so far..

yea it does suck to not have much people around u but im pretty sure in time u will have tons of friends to chill with :d

anyways, if u wana hangout sometimes or have a drink etc just buzz me. im usually free :P

cheers.

Eh, how about using my technique? Go to the bar when the football is on and attempt to strike up a conversation with random people sitting at the bar! If there is nobody then you can always watch the football. Then again, that probably doesn't work too good if you are a girl. Even as a guy, I've met some weirdos doing that, although some nice people also.

I've met most of my friends over the years through work or university, but if you happen to work with people that are no fun or married-with-kids types, then it can be tough. First thing to realise is that you have to try hard or you get no where. 

Anyway, if you want to join me this Saturday night for a night of trying to strike up conversations with random strangers, then send me a message! In fact, why don't you invite some of these other people that have messaged you and then it will not be so weird for all of us? :D

Caesar
Cutiewsm
Tsk231,
Ivyong
Brummie
Joamelie
Saint_Lucifer
Sofia Star
Ander

Thank you guys for your messages and tips!

Yes, would love to hang out with you all sometime.
I am not much of a planner, so can one of you kindly arrange a get together? Perhaps you could Ander hehe? In terms of location, I am not fussed. As for timing, preferably in two to three weeks if possible.

Looking forward to catching up :D

Laney

Hi peebles.....
it's good to hear about you...
we are a group of teachers.....u can join us to enjoy in KL....every weekend we enjoy a gathering with friends.....

Hi drprakashdeeptiwari,

Will definitely keep your kind offer in mind once I have more spare time.

Thanks & have a great week ahead :)

Yaaa...welcome.....come n enjoy a great and intellectual gathering with us.......

I can be your friend and let you know all there is to know in Malaysia.
karacas my Name.

You can call or ask me any question about malaysia.
I am much older person.

Thanks Halit49, I shall keep you in mind should I have further questions. Have a great Thursday!

Hi there,

My girl friend (intermediate in french) and I(beginner in German) plans to party at Westin Hotel on 6 April. We are well traveled.  Ladies go in free(Ladies night). We posted this info at this forum https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=72086

A few expats have confirmed joining. The meet up time is 9pm as the band starts 10pm. This will give us time to know each others. The meet up place is at the reception of Westin KL at 9pm. We will wait longest for 15 mins. If you are late, you have to find us inside the bar. You can bring along your friends to join us but ladies only.

Hi Riokong,

Thanks for the invite but unfortunately I need to be at the airport on that very day to pick up family.

You folks have fun!

hey there..... i m logging in to KL by sep2011 and i am also a very out going person u mean to say m also gonna face all alone stranger feelings :( i dont know any 1 in malaysia even it will b the 1st tym in ma life dat i will see the earth there.... God give me gd friends to hang out with........ Cheers

give me a call when you are here,,,016 5688969... sure we can b friends,,,cya

Hello Pebbles, how u doing? I know this post was posted way back but hopefully u will read it. I am new to kl, just arrived last week so would be nice to meet new people here. If you're keen to meet for a beer or coffee, let me knw. Have a good day :)

Hi everyone, there's a "meet up" at 2pm in Malones Bar this Sunday for people who want to meet new friends. Please come along and join us, you're very welcome.
                          Dave

Hi everyone, there's a "meet up" at 2pm in Malones Bar this Sunday for people who want to meet new friends. Please come along and join us, you're very welcome.
                          Dave

OOps I didn't say which one, sorry

Malones Bar KLCC

see you there hopefully

Hi Laney,
welcome to KL! It's quite normal to feel the way you do - it's standard culture shock which doesn't help if you are alone ina  new country. There are many social groups and 41,000 expats in Malaysia!

tr
the expat mingle (via the expat magazine)
couchsurfing has many regular meetups
Bahasa classes at the YMCA Brickfields (I have been told these are very social - thinking of joining myself soon)
and of course here

The one on Sunday sounds interesting if I have time - term time I am so busy!

Nemodot wrote:

Hey Richard, can I count you in at Malones Bar KLCC tomorrow? I am sure you can spare an hour with us ;) See ya!

Cheers,
Chris

Nemodot wrote:

Hi Laney,
welcome to KL! It's quite normal to feel the way you do - it's standard culture shock which doesn't help if you are alone ina  new country. There are many social groups and 41,000 expats in Malaysia!

tr
the expat mingle (via the expat magazine)
couchsurfing has many regular meetups
Bahasa classes at the YMCA Brickfields (I have been told these are very social - thinking of joining myself soon)
and of course here

Thank you Nemodot! You are very helpful!

Sebastian1982 wrote:

Hello Pebbles, how u doing? I know this post was posted way back but hopefully u will read it. I am new to kl, just arrived last week so would be nice to meet new people here. If you're keen to meet for a beer or coffee, let me knw. Have a good day :)

I am very well thanks Sebastian. Welcome to Malaysia and will definitely keep in touch :)

Date: Sunday, 20 November 2011
Time: 2:00pm
Venue: Malones Bar, KLCC

Confirmed Attendance:
(1)Dave
(2)Chris
(3)Joon
(4)Jessica
(5)Andrew
(6)Anitha
(7)Richard
(8)Pei See

See you all there!!!

Anyone else is very welcome to join us.
Cheers,
Chris & Dave

Hi don't feel strange, just be yr self, I been staying in UK for many-many moons ago and been traveling to many-many countries in the past and I felt strange too :p then I  decide to go and rent a room with locals  and learn their daily life's, from there I had so many friends and experience....

I could not have learn many new things and discover many new beautiful experience if i stay put with my own country man cause they are also new to the country

Each time I'm board to a new country it is so beautiful thing to know their cultural and way of living in that particular country, unless we couldn't care less or being reserved to yourself.....that what makes the "strange feeling" about ....

Hope u enjoy staying here in Malaysia and go get those new people... happy hunting lol.

Love to meet you guys in the next gathering ....keep me informed

yourmanjh wrote:

Hi don't feel strange, just be yr self, I been staying in UK for many-many moons ago and been traveling to many-many countries in the past and I felt strange too :p then I  decide to go and rent a room with locals  and learn their daily life's, from there I had so many friends and experience....

I could not have learn many new things and discover many new beautiful experience if i stay put with my own country man cause they are also new to the country

Each time I'm board to a new country it is so beautiful thing to know their cultural and way of living in that particular country, unless we couldn't care less or being reserved to yourself.....that what makes the "strange feeling" about ....

Hope u enjoy staying here in Malaysia and go get those new people... happy hunting lol.

Very well-said and I fully agreed with your comments. I have expat friends who loves to mix with the locals and they never feel lonely or 'weird' ever again. In fact, they seldom mix with the other expat that strictly restrict their friendship with their country men!!!:D

chrisck9 wrote:
yourmanjh wrote:

Very well-said and I fully agreed with your comments. I have expat friends who loves to mix with the locals and they never feel lonely or 'weird' ever again. In fact, they seldom mix with the other expat that strictly restrict their friendship with their country men!!!:D

Thanks chrisck9 hope there will be more people to share their cultural and life story .....

yourmanjh wrote:

Thanks for the feedback yourmanjh.

This post was actually lodged about a year ago. I am happy to say that I no longer feel weird. In fact, I feel right at home now. Thankfully the adjustment has been an easy one for me.I have made many friends, most of whom are expats from many different countries and all walks of life.

Have a fabulous evening and keep in touch :D

peebles wrote:
yourmanjh wrote:

This post was actually lodged about a year ago. I am happy to say that I no longer feel weird. In fact, I feel right at home now. Thankfully the adjustment has been an easy one for me.I have made many friends, most of whom are expats from many different countries and all walks of life.

Hi peebles

Great to hear that. Have you also get to know many local here? Hve you tried the chee chong fun, ketupat, wadeh while staying here? :p

peebles wrote:
Sebastian1982 wrote:

I am very well thanks Sebastian. Welcome to Malaysia and will definitely keep in touch :)

Thanks Peebles! I've sent u my contact number.

yourmanjh wrote:
peebles wrote:
yourmanjh wrote:

Hi peebles

Great to hear that. Have you also get to know many local here? Hve you tried the chee chong fun, ketupat, wadeh while staying here? :p

Yourmanjh- No I don't know many locals unfortunately.

I have heard of all those dishes but have never tried them. My favorites are, nasi lemak and char kway teaw!

Have a great week.

Hi Peebles

I have been here for 13 weeks and within the first week we joined MANZA which is an expat group for Australians and New Zealanders, its a great group and I have made heaps of friends through it. Maybe you should register with them, also helps with the feeling of homesickness when you're able to chat about stuff with likeminded people, we have had dinners and coffee groups etc.

kiwi4 wrote:

Hi Peebles

I have been here for 13 weeks and within the first week we joined MANZA which is an expat group for Australians and New Zealanders, its a great group and I have made heaps of friends through it. Maybe you should register with them, also helps with the feeling of homesickness when you're able to chat about stuff with likeminded people, we have had dinners and coffee groups etc.

Thanks for that Kiwi4. I have indeed heard of Manza and have been meaning to join the group. So might just see u soon. :D

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]