Racism

It's sad to know that racism is here in Egypt,when one is of african origin walking in the streets in Cairo just out of nowhere you hear somebody calling you samara,shikaballah,kawarshy and zoul it's really irritating to hear this cause it's kind of racial slurs towards African people.and by the way I think those Egyptians from Aswan are also dark skinned.but anyway the fact remains whether you are African.mongolian,Chinese,European,american or Arab we are all human beings we have same color of blood and we live or die,get sick or get well.i think this is a new age of time and such things are of the past.

Racism is rife in every culture - sad but true.   :(

Very sad. Can you imagine if shop keepers in the UK charged you a different price, based on the colour of your skin or where you are from? It is an unfortunate fact of life in less enlightened societies.

the country have 60% Education illetracy imagine how is the Social illiteracy (which is harder to acquire and isn`t taught at schools by any means) i rather call it " not being Civilized"

Egypt suffers of what you call "Hypocrisy" due to lack of identity....... you can hear mosques/ Quran Everywhere but brains are empty Faithfulness claims are shallow and empty.

The Islamic point of view on this is strict and harsh even in a community in the Arab peninsula during the times of the Prophet Mohammed where "slavery" of other nations which was typically from African origin
still the fact remained and lessons by the prophet was clear.

I liked the word "brash" cause it describes those millions of Egyptians suffering poverty and oppression for decades it describes how they are trying to show up or have an advantage someway else.
so a "tiny" skin tone difference is a way to show such mixed shit of character complications.
but the funny fact remains that Egyptians ARE mainly Coptic/Hamitic with Semitic /Mediterranean mixes.
beside surely the skin tone is evident not only in Aswan but everywhere else in my company in the capital or the bigger northern cities .

god how i hate the word "north" its attributed in every rotten culture with some superiority claims!  :D

I totally agree with u....

Kamaa, I am so sorry to hear about the racism which you have experienced in Cairo. All I can say is you have to put it down to ignorance and low self esteem on their part. If a person is educated and has been raised with love and respect, brought up  in a civilized way, they will not view people by the colour of their skin but the content of their heart and mind.

You know what you are and you have to feel sorry for the bigots, they do not know any better and cannot be happy people.

Best thing to do is to ignore such things.
See, pigs exist, so do ignorant people.

There is a saying that says, the caravan moves and the dogs bark. So the barking of the dogs won't harm the caravan moving, they are just dogs and that's what they do.

The lighter skinned or 'White' Egyptians have a sense of arrogance and self entitlement I have noticed. They are rarely the ones engaged in the hard work, the manual jobs.

They cannot always  be trusted in their role of ' Property Developers' ...Inevitably something will go wrong money will run out and investor's money disappears. Have a look at all of the skeleton unfinished developments in Hurghada today or all around Egypt for that matter.

They make a mess of politics, just take a look to the current political situation for evidence of this. They are the biggest online scammers.

The are the ones who will con and lie to Western women in order to get a visa out to Europe or the Sates, they use charm and lies. to con and scam and lie and pull the wool over the eyes of a woman to scam her into marriage, then they proceed  to act as single and chase anything with a pulse when said 'wife' is absent.

They set themselves up in law, or  as property developers and their sole aim is to make money regardless of the consequence.

The darker skinned Egyptians from Aswan work long and hard, they arrive at dawn each day to building sites and work methodically like they were building the pyramids, they are the ones who will offer to help out if something needs fixing and they will do it with a smile and you will have to force them to take payment.

Meanwhile the lighter skinned 'professionals' will sit around all day at coffee shops puffing on shisha pipes drinking beer,  dreaming up ways of scamming a foreigner or charming one into a sham fake  marriage and visa to Europe or Russia.

I have personally found it difficult to trust any of the lighter skinned 'professional'  Egyptians I have met here be they lawyers, property developers, managers, an offer of help' usually comes with a motive nearly always involving money. Their treatment of women leaves a lot to be desired. Just do a google of the amount of young women protestors who were raped in one day in Tahrir Square - 80!, that is a shocking example of how Egyptian men treat women who were guilty of nothing more than being women, they were taken advantage of in a brutal way. What message has that sent out to the world, and do they wonder why tourism is down when they see this image of Egypt being flashed across the world?.

hahahaha that's funny how you based your opinion on the colour of skin, and it's so funny that a black person that was just talking about racism gave you a trophy!

oh life sometimes flips upside down for no reason!

It's so shallow to think that way. White people are trashy, Black are bad, yellow are,,,, and so forth.
I think you could talk about a personal experience with a person, but with the colour of a person! hmmmmm

Hi everybody,

Please note that Racism exist everywhere, it is sad but it is the truth !
Do note that we prefer not to debate on racial issues on the forum as we are not qualified for that. Also note that is quite a delicate topic, so it is preferable to close this thread.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

(P.S Topic closed)

Closed