Is photography allowed in Saudi Arabia

Hi,

I will be moving to Jubail soon, over weekends would like to keep myself busy with books and photography. Any suggestions, Do's/Dont's. I would like to use a DSLR camera and will not take pictures of people (Faces etc). My interests are landscape, life in general etc. Suggestions on any nearby places to be explored for photography would be great.

if you search "Photography" in Saudi Arabia forum you will find many helpful topics

Landscapes will (should) not be a problem, as shouldn't cityscapes. Photographing government buildings is off limits (who would want to, anyway?), most other places aren't illegal. As always, be considerate of others' feelings; don't try to capture people entering or leaving their Mosque or home, don't obviously take pictures of people without their consent (N.B. you cannot get the consent from the opposite sex, unless they are related - best not to go there).

Here's a thought ... hone your landscape, low light/nighttime/sunset and macro skills?

Thanks guys.

The Ministry of Culture and Information issued a decree back in 2006,
allowing the use of cameras in public places. The text of this decree, along
with an explanation of some of its particulars is attached: http://nidalm.com/downloads/KSA_photography_decree.pdf

street photography, urban exploration, landscapes
all is very doable here.
i just did a 6 hour stint in an abandoned hospital in riyadh today

have you done photowalks around jubail delhi_123? i am not a professional photographer but i am interested to go with someone for a photowalk.

It is a very sensitive issue. Let's forget what the law says, a lot of people ( both muslims and non muslims) may not like to see strangers taking photographs of their women ( even when they are well wrapped in abaya), and this objection could be quite loud and violent. The saudi agencies are quite aware that the western media is after material to highlight suppression of women in the Kingdom, and they would go a long way to discourage others.

Secondly, as an expat, it will take you quite a while to understand which buildings and areas are of classified nature, therefore I suggest you begin your venture initially in the company of arab ( if not saudi) friends until you feel more at home, these friends can help cool down an unpleasant situation.

Good luck with your photography.

that's what i also wanted, to have a saudi or any arab speaking companion so that if ever there will be problem along the way, someone can converse on my behalf. i know some terms but very little to make a conversation/argument.