Moving to Beijing with husband and two young children summer 2014

I will be Moving to beijing with husband and two young children summer 2014. As my husband has got a job in an international school teaching. I was just wandering if people could give me information about living in Beijing (shunyi district) with two children who will be 3 and 18 months and if there are any mother and toddlers groups etc. also mainly general information that may help myself and my family.  :)

Hi, what exactly do you want to know.

Shunyi is full of gated communities choc-o-bloc with expat families and is the home to half a dozen international schools. You info says Wales so British schools in the area are Dulwich, Harrow, Norde Anglia British School of Beijing and the Rego British School of Beijing.

Some of the schools have programmes from 18 months. To start with check the website of hubby's school - they might have something and I assume that as an employee he will get preferential rates.

There is a weekly (I think on Fridays) activity for parents and toddlers in the English Tearoom.

Do you know where you will be living - ie which compound?

What transport options will you have? (ie living in Shunyi without a car and driver will be a pain in the Royal posterior)

WIll the school agree to send you and/or hubby to Beijing for a few days for a pre-move visit? It helps to ease some of the standard pre-move anxieties.

I have a just turned 2yr old boy and live more or less half way between Shunyi and downtown and I therefore know both areas well and, professionally, have helped many people relocate into Beijing.

what kind of help you need?

Just basic information of what is available to help me ease into living abroad with two small children and making friends etc

Everything is available although sometimes the items will have a different brand name.

There are a number of supermarkets that cater to Expats (ie imported products) that carry almost everything including Marmite/Vegimite.

Clothes for you and hubby might be a tad more problematic if you are English XL sizes and above.
The average Chinese shape is more petite and a Chinese XL size is often an English M or smaller. However, tailors are cheap and can copy almost anything.
Large feet ? Bring spare shoes with you. Most shoe shops only stock up to 43 (male) sometimes 44. I wear 46 and still have a problem finding good shoes in Beijing

Hi-
We are also considering moving to Beijing this summer for my husband's job.  We have a 6 month old and a two year old (will be 9 months and two and a half when we move).

I'm feeling overwhelmed about where to live and safety concerns.  I think we're mainly looking at Chaoyang area.  My husband is there now looking at places.

I worry a bit about food safety, especially with my two little ones.  The baby takes formula and I plan to bring it from the states unless I find another option.  Any advice would be appreciated!
Lyn

Also i wonder about getting around.  Do people with small kids depend on the subway.  What do you do in the way of car seats for the children otherwise?  I can't imagine getting one in and out of taxis?

Don't have small kids, but bring as much as you can, esp formula.  Remember the baby formula scandal in China few years back?  When my husband goes back to the states every few months, I always have a list of things for him to buy at Costco.  Or when one of his co-workers go back home, we'll ask them to get something for us, usually cereal/food that I can't find here.  Imported items are so expensive here in Beijing.
I order my veggies and fruits online.  They said it's organic, but who knows?  They could easily just slap that "organic" sticker on any product.  So just wash the veggies many, many times.

The best advice I can offer for parents of small children - or any children, really - is not to assume that drivers will yield to pedestrians just because they have children with them.  Yielding is an alien concept in China.  Even babies in strollers mean nothing to Chinese drivers.  They absolutely will hit you.  The food is safe - more or less.  It's the drivers who are dangerous.

Agree with Hailey on this one - China's rule of the road is simple weak and small give way to big and tough. Drivers don't give way they take way.  Be very careful when crossing roads. It IS legal to turn right when light is red. Many cars do not slow down at red lights prior to turning right.

The road is more dangerous than pollution or food concerns.

My 2yr old has been completely breast fed so I am not an expert on formula but if you are willing to pay you can get imported formula from places such as Beijing United Family Hospital chemist/pharmacy.

Re organic veggies etc - there is an ever growing number of vendors. Having said that most are probably better labelled as green / natural rather than organic.

When are you arriving? I am organising the 3rd Beijing Environment and Sustainability Fair on Sat 7 June 2014. The last time we had 44 vendors ranging from farmers - air filters companies and everything in between.

There is also a fortnightly farmer market that moves from venue to venue

i am a mother too, my son is going to 4years old. i hope  i can help you .i am  a teacher too at fengtai district. cause i am a beijinger , so if you have any question you can send a email to me :[email protected].
i would like to see: our kids play together and share their culture.