What do you think of beijing?

give me your opinions about BEIJING..
places to go, things to do, what you like and dislike from beijing and all you want to share :)

Yeah this would help me too when i plan to go to Beijing sometime next month...:):)I have posted the same for Hongzhou...

don't drive unless you are ace Navy fighter pilot

James even if they want to they can not drive in China. They would first need to get a Chinese Driving License.

Secondly, it is far saver to drive than than to be a pedestrian.

Like about Beijing - the food, the people.

Dislike about Beijing - Starbucks, McDonalds, KFC and Christmas,

Hi Manlin,

Just want to find out more,

What's wrong with the:

"Dislike about Beijing - Starbucks, McDonalds, KFC and Christmas,"

Cheers.

Maybe Starbucks, McDonalds, KFC are expensive and are fattening. JW

As introduced to China they represent the worst of the West.

I would add to Manlin's comments:

- Dislikes: Traffic jams and pollution

:)

This is more about living in China in general, but these are the five things I love about it here:

An Electric Bicycle. I love riding my e-bike to work and around the city in the summer time. I love that it's quiet and fast (comparatively) and that when I get to work I'm not all sweaty like I used to be when I rode my regular bike.

Hot/Cold Water Dispenser. Everyone here uses large Culligan-style water jugs for their drinking water. We've got a great dispenser that dispenses cold water for drinking or hot water for tea, both of which are already on-tap 24/7.

Gong Bao Ji Ding (Kung Pow Chicken—the real stuff). There are a lot of different food dishes that I could name, but truly I have never found authentically-good gong bao in America, and when I lived there I constantly craved it.

Watson-Brand Ginger Ale. When I was growing up, I thought ginger ale was just another name for Sprite, but when I tasted Watson's Ginger Ale, I realized I had been deceived. Let me just say that ginger ale should taste like ginger. Shame on you, Canada Dry.

No sales tax or tipping. No offense to restaurant servers—you guys work hard and deserve the tips that you earn, no question—but I love being able to walk into a restaurant here, look at the menu, see that my guacamole caesar steak wrap is going to be 52 RMB, and know that when I leave, I will have spent 52 RMB (plus 12RMB for my Watson's Ginger Ale). No tax, no tip—just the price on the menu.

Likes - the excitement of a huge city,parks,buildings,history,Security,places to visit,cheap subway (its like time travel from side of the city to the other...for 2rmb !!),people,predictable weather

Dislikes - Dust,crossing busy roads,not being able to drink the water,some people who will push in front of you in a queue,not being able to speak Chinese (my fault :( )

Manlin wrote:

As introduced to China they represent the worst of the West.

Except the breakfast burger from KFC :)

Manlin wrote:

Like about Beijing - the food, the people.

Dislike about Beijing - Starbucks, McDonalds, KFC and Christmas,

Not true on all accounts.  Worst?  Get serious, the menu's here is healthier than back home with respect to McD's and KFC. Starbucks?  What is your problem with coffee? I don't get it except you have an anti American streak.............ellaborate.

Christmas represents the worst of the West???.............you have lost your way.  I educate all my employees and Chinese counterparts in the unique qualities of Christmas as a family centric time of extreme importance to those of us that accept the true meaning of Christmas.  Equal importance and function as Chinese Spring Festival.  Stop being a secular weasel.  I am not a practicing Christian (more Spiritual) but I respect the importance and the meaning of Christmas.

Back on topic
The people are not what they were 10 years ago but all in all they are good people at the core. 
Lots to see and do here and in the surroinding areas but you need wheels to explore beyond city limits. 
Fairly safe for expats.

Dislikes:
Driving; the biggest impact here in the past 10 years are cars.   
-jamesji's Navy Fighter Pilot annalogy is funny and right on target.  Navigating in a car here is a huge adjustment, oh and the GPS system here is +/- 500 meters LOL. FYI, the shoulder or bike lane is just the passing lane here.
The place is dirty.  People throw trash everywhere. 
Capitalism on steroids.

Later
Keith

Thunderusa hi,

I like coffee, don't like Starbucks.....far prefer Costa.

Not anti-burger, just do not like McDonald and KFC... far prefer somewhere like Cici's Burger (on Jingmi Lu)

Christmas in China is a purely commercial affair, hence the worst of the West. I have no problem with Christians celebrating Christmas as a family event and/or as a religious celebration. Here in China though it is purely an opportunity to increase prices.

Well I won't refute the commercialization of the holiday but the same phenomenon occurs here for Spring Festival.  I had hoped that this was your viewpoint but it happens everywhere. 
Welcome to Capitalism. 

Agreed, McD's burgers are not great although I am a habitual Big Mac fan……..don't know why because I never eat this stuff back home……………..hmmmm  But they offer chicken that we don't have in the US.

KFC the chicken wrap with salsa is great and their version of the bucket is unique as well.  I like KFC at home better.  Healthy or not it's good stuff from time to time.

Hooters isn't as good as back home but the eye candy is excellent as usual :D

Dislike: traffic, pollution, spitting, not staying in line (Beijing is actually better about this after Olympics)

Like: historical places, food, artistic ideas here and there mixed with the ancient and modern parts in the city

Have you guys tried Dongbeiren (东北人) dumplings? I went there in October last year. I like it.

(Moderated: Invalid Link)

Another place, Hou Hai Lake, has pubs and lakeview. I like it because it's less dusty. ;)
Something about Hou Hai Lake gluckman.com/BeijingHouHaiLake.html

Most dislike, lack of any nearby decent bodies of water, pigs with red arm bands, pollution.
Like,  traditional Chinese music