Visa on Arrival/ Leaving the Country

Hi I'm an American who has had their visa extended many times to the point where I can no longer apply for a multiple entry visa. I'm currently working in Vietnam with a Single Entry Visa and am in the process of getting a work permit.

Problem:
I'm going to Thailand this weekend with a Single Entry visa and a visa on arrival letter and want to know if this is enough to allow me to get back into Vietnam. My job is telling me I need to go through the Thailand Embassy to get a 105$ business visa (and also reschedule my flight so I can get this when the Embassy is open --> very expensive and time consuming) but my friends tell me all I need to do is leave the country and come back with a visa on arrival letter and I'll be fine.

Can anyone please help shed some light on this situation! It would be greatly appreciated because at this point I'm ready to eat the cost of the flight to avoid a situation where I'm stuck in Thailand. #bangedupabroad

THANKS
Quinn

I haven't done it but from all I have heard the three-month visa is easy and perfunctory and some people have been going that route for many years, sometimes with extension here in VN, sometimes not.

With the rules changing all the time, I'm not too comfortable with that, but for now everyone says it's easy.

Hi there,
As I know, you are working in Vietnam with a single entry visa and this single entry visa will be no longer valid as soon as you leave Vietnam for Thailand. You couldn't re-enter with this visa!
However, you can apply for another 3 months multiple entry Vietnam visa on arrival now and you will get the letter of approval within 2 working days only.

Hi
You should apply multiple visa before leaving Vietnam.
Good luck

ChrisFox wrote:

I haven't done it but from all I have heard the three-month visa is easy and perfunctory and some people have been going that route for many years, sometimes with extension here in VN, sometimes not.

With the rules changing all the time, I'm not too comfortable with that, but for now everyone says it's easy.

'juicemanjr',
it's just as ChrisFox wisely pointed out to you - the rules keep changing all the time. Never bet on them remaining the same from one week to the next.

My visa original three month tourist visa, issued by the Vietnamese Embassy in Australia, was extended twice more for an additional three months by a travel agent in Sai Gon. Each time it was another  multiple entry/exist visa.   The cost each time was about US$75.

After nine months, including leaving and returning to Viet Nam several times without any problems at all, the second extension ran out. We went across the boarder into Kampuchea on a coach tour from Sai Gon to Angkor Wat and Phnom Phenh for a week.

The tour company also arranged a 'letter of invitation to return to VN' plus new three month visa, with the promise of another two more three month extensions without any problems. :D

Unlike yourself, I'm retired so anything to do with work, I don't need to worry about.(for now anyway) :)

It was very quick, easy and quite cheap - but those rules might change at any time.

Flip465 wrote:
ChrisFox wrote:

'juicemanjr',
it's just as ChrisFox wisely pointed out to you - the rules keep changing all the time. Never bet on them remaining the same from one week to the next.

My visa original three month tourist visa, issued by the Vietnamese Embassy in Australia,($270 plus through a travel agent) was extended twice more for an additional three months by a travel agent in Sai Gon. Each time it was another  multiple entry/exist visa.   The cost each time was about US$75.

After nine months, including leaving and returning to Viet Nam several times without any problems at all, the second extension ran out. We went across the boarder into Kampuchea on a coach tour from Sai Gon to Angkor Wat and Phnom Phenh for a week.

The tour company also arranged a 'letter of invitation to return to VN' plus new three month visa, with the promise of another two more three month extensions without any problems. :D

Unlike yourself, I'm retired so anything to do with work, I don't need to worry about.(for now anyway) :)

It was very quick, easy and quite cheap - but those rules might change at any time.

If you have the letter for visa on arrival you should be ok. You will need to fly in for your visa on arrival to be valid. However the visa from the embassy is is more of a sure thing and you can always take a cheap bus.

I work for a school in Phu My Hung, District 7 and I help teacher to process their visa from every point of origin. In your case, you  simply need a visa on arrival or what the locals call invitation letter.  You can contact the place your working at to get you this from the immigration department or any local travel agency for 15 usd.  They just need to email you the letter.  You can then show the letter to the immigration police when you arrive at Tan Son Nhat airport.  You can then be allowed to pick up your visa at the airport. It should only cost you $70 for a single entry visa.