Wedding Ploesiti

Hi, im form uk & will be attending a relatives wedding (i dont think it is a traditional one) as best man in Ploesiti later this summer. A couple of questions:
1) What are Romanian Weddings like - are there any local customs/traditions I need to be aware of.
2)Do best men normally make a speech & is there anything i should / shouldnt say (I've not arranged translation yet !)
3)Is there anywhere to go for a stage night in Ploeisti ?
4)Are credit cards accepted in Ploesti & are ther plenty of ATMs ?
5)What are the best buys ?
6)Any other help ?

Many thanks
K

K,

There would be ATM's in Ploesti. The wedding traditions depend on the region the families are from. It also matters whether they are Orthodox, Catholic etc.

There is a tradition involving kidnapping the bride and ask for a ransom that can be in the form of cash or drinks in order to get the bride back.  If you have more questions you can message me and I'll ask my Romanian husband. We were married here but didn't have a "traditional" wedding as ours was very small and in the Catholic Church.

Mary

I've had some experiences with Romanian weddings so I can add a few points to what Mary has already said. Weddings vary according to religion, tradition, and of course according to the preferences of the couple.
1. Guests are expected to pay to attend
2. Money is given rather than gifts. Often the guests line up to hand their money to the couple while a guy with a microphone reads out their name and the sum they've given. This seems to be getting less common.
3. The weddings tend to go on late, usually until around 5am the next day, sometimes longer.
4. The basic format is the same as in the UK (except longer, as mentioned): arrive at a restaurant/venue, introductions, sit down, eat, drink, cut cake, dance, etc.
5. I'm not sure about the speeches, there doesn't seem to be a formal format for them as there is in the UK; just a few words, some thank yous, some announcements, etc.
6. They don't do stag nights traditionally although some guys will take their mates out for a drink, but nothing as extravagant as the UK tradition. Ploiesti is a mid-sized oil town. It'll have bars and restaurants but I can't recommend anything: passed through many times, never stopped!

Don't worry about the speech. As a best man, you don't need to make a speech.