Where can I buy compulsory third-party motorbike insurance?

Hi Folks,

I've searched the forums extensively, and found no specific answers, except "any petrol station". I've looked, and not found it at my local petrol stations.

I'm fully legit, aside from the insurance.

What (in Vietnamese) do I ask for when searching? Is it "bảo hiểm của bên thứ ba"?

many thanks,

Matt

MatthiasB wrote:

Hi Folks,

I've searched the forums extensively, and found no specific answers, except "any petrol station". I've looked, and not found it at my local petrol stations.

What (in Vietnamese) do I ask for when searching? Is it "bảo hiểm của bên thứ ba"?

many thanks,

Matt

Take a drive out the Hà Nội Highway across the Sài Gòn Bridge.  There are a bunch of college students standing by the side of the road selling motorbike insurance for 10,000 - 15,000 a pop.  It's a big scam but it protects you from getting fined by the CSGT.

http://res.vtc.vn/media/vtcnews/2013/08/19/anh-CSGT-d21b9_1.jpg

http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/13786/mo … in-vietnam

Should a driver fail to produce their insurance when pulled over by the traffic police, he or she will be fined at least VND100,000.
A number of local drivers buy the insurance merely to avoid the penalty, and few follow the required procedure to receive the compensation in case of accidents, insiders say.
Selling the motorbike insurance, meanwhile, has emerged as a lucrative business for the insurers as there is little chance that their customers will claim compensation.
Drivers deem the procedure to claim compensation complex, and people tend to flee the scene of accident rather than contacting police and the insurer for inspection.

THD!
Is that accepted by Road Transport Department?
I remember that I paid 80.000 for it near the Transport Department Office :D

You will find many people selling it, I bought mine from a sim card shop that had a sign out the front with bảo hiểm written on it. I think I paid about 50,000 vnd.

50.000? Arghhh...
Why different costs? May be different insurance companies?

colinoscapee wrote:

You will find many people selling it, I bought mine from a sim card shop that had a sign out the front with bảo hiểm written on it. I think I paid about 50,000 vnd.

charmavietnam wrote:

THD!
Is that accepted by Road Transport Department?
I remember that I paid 80.000 for it near the Transport Department Office :D

It doesn't really matter if the Ministry of Transport accepts it or not.  It does matters if the Ministry of Public Security accepts it or not - I think CSGT falls under Public Security, not Transport.

As long as the CSGT sees the piece of paper, you're good.  I actually had mine expired for about a year before the CSGT actually READ the expiration date and told me it was expired.  And since he was so professional about it, I went down the road, bought one for around 90,000 and came back to show it to him.  Honestly if I got in a wreck, I wouldn't know what to do, who to call, where to file a claim.  It's just a get out of being fined card.

I see!

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

It doesn't really matter if the Ministry of Transport accepts it or not.  It does matters if the Ministry of Public Security accepts it or not - I think CSGT falls under Public Security, not Transport.

As long as the CSGT sees the piece of paper, you're good.  I actually had mine expired for about a year before the CSGT actually READ the expiration date and told me it was expired.  And since he was so professional about it, I went down the road, bought one for around 90,000 and came back to show it to him.  Honestly if I got in a wreck, I wouldn't know what to do, who to call, where to file a claim.  It's just a get out of being fined card.

virtually every shop, which sells bikes and any petrol station

Only 15 minutes after posting, I finally saw a mechanic down the road that sells it. Thanks for the replies, though, could certainly have helped.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
MatthiasB wrote:

Hi Folks,

many thanks,

Matt

Take a drive out the Hà Nội Highway across the Sài Gòn Bridge.  There are a bunch of college students standing by the side of the road selling motorbike insurance for 10,000 - 15,000 a pop.  It's a big scam but it protects you from getting fined by the CSGT.

http://res.vtc.vn/media/vtcnews/2013/08 … 21b9_1.jpg

http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/13786/mo … in-vietnam

Should a driver fail to produce their insurance when pulled over by the traffic police, he or she will be fined at least VND100,000.
A number of local drivers buy the insurance merely to avoid the penalty, and few follow the required procedure to receive the compensation in case of accidents, insiders say.
Selling the motorbike insurance, meanwhile, has emerged as a lucrative business for the insurers as there is little chance that their customers will claim compensation.
Drivers deem the procedure to claim compensation complex, and people tend to flee the scene of accident rather than contacting police and the insurer for inspection.

How much and long you want to claim for 4 USD?

MatthiasB wrote:

Only 15 minutes after posting, I finally saw a mechanic down the road that sells it. Thanks for the replies, though, could certainly have helped.

I'm sure you can just color-photocopy your friend's.  Seriously. I think the whole motorbike insurance thing is a scam.  Even the article I found stated it. 

Insuring your motorbike against accident, fire or theft is another thing. I took out insurance with Honda when I bought my PCX only to be told when I went to renew it after one year that Honda dont insure anymore as too many were stolen. Go figure.