Learning bahasa

Hi everyone I was planning to have a job in kl and found out that knowing bahasa will raise my chances so I was looking for some one from Malaysia living in Alexandria Egypt to teach me bahasa for the price we agreed upon... Help urself and contact me.

Hi walidz,

Please feel free to post an advert in the Language classes in Malaysia section, this might surely help. Thank you! :)

Regards,

David.

Speaking Mandarin is also just as useful in Malaysia as many business owners want those skills as their staff prefer to communicate in a shared native language.

Your ability to find work in Malaysia will depend on you having further education and several years experience, being aged 27 years or 23 for IT jobs. The salary you are offered must be RM5k per month to qualiy for an employment pass (permit).

Thx actually I was looking for a Malaysian expat living in Alexandria Egypt as I know that many Malaysian students come to Egypt to study . I think it would be much better than the internet

Ok could u guys suggest mandarin and bahasa teaching sites?

Makes no difference whatsoever. Who told you such nonsense?

To nuance Nemodot's response. English is used widely and depending on which industry and professional level you are targeting to work in, whether it is even worth learning Bahasa. Jobs ads tend to say they want locally used languages as they know it will deter foreigners from applying. Some job groups will use local languages to communicate in because the terms are in common usage and not English one. 

The last I heard was that Malaysian students had returned for security reasons.  Contacting the Student Union at say the medical university (or similar) is a good way to reach potential teachers.

I prefer learning languages from CDs and they are available for Bahasa - mine is by Teach Yourself... Reaching the proficiency acceptable to an employer would take several months.  Be aware that there are a multitude of languages used in Malaysia because of the make up of society here - you may already speak one of them.

Hi Gravitas, what's your feeling about "Teach yourself"? Are aware of other digital language courses (e.g. Rosetta Stone)...would you have recommendation on which one to pick? I am considering learning Bahasa, arrived in MY just a few months ago. Thx!

Do they all have Bahasa Malaysia?

Actually Rosetta Stone does not have training course for Bahasa Malaysia, was citing as a example of famous training programs. From your personal experience with "Teach Yourself" would you recommend it?

Actually Rosetta Stone does not have training course for Bahasa Malaysia, was citing as a example of famous training programs. From your personal experience with "Teach Yourself" would you recommend it?

Just to add my 2 sens worth, if you want to learn how to speak BM, get a local to teach you the basics - reason is from my experience (I've been learning BM for the last 4 months :-) a lot of courses/books teach formal malay, wheras the day to day language is full of slang/informal language. Good luck :-)

thanks rswoodbrown