CIE Carteira de Identidade de Estrangeiro

Hi there,
My daughter was born in the USA, therefore, she is an American citizen. Because she is also a child of a Brazilian citizen, she was granted a Brazilian passport. Now that we live in Brazil, I run into a little problem. She canŽt have a regular RG identification card as her translation of the birth certificate says she was not born here. I tried to get her RG at three different cities, but they all came back with the same answer. Strangely, I was able to get her a CPF (tax payerŽs number). Today I read about CIE. I am wondering where I can apply for it.
Thank you,
LS

Hi Laura,

When your daughter was born, did you register the birth with the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the USA? That should have been done, but even if your child is now an adult it still can be done. See the following link for information from the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in New York.

http://novayork.itamaraty.gov.br/pt-br/nascimento.xml

If the birth is registered with the Consulado, I believe that they issue a new Birth Certificate through the Consular Cartório, just as they do with foreign marriages of Brazilians, this is the document that is legal in Brazil and I would guess that if she had that she actually could obtain a regular RG. You should check it out, even if you have to contact the Consulado in the USA by telephone it would be worth the cost.

If she MUST obtain a Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro then you apply for that at the Regional Superintendency of the Policia Federal in the city where you reside. You can find out more and apply online at:

www.dpf.gov.br/servicos/estrangeiro

Born in the USA or not, she is a Brazilian citizen above any other citizenship she may have, with all the rights and resposibilities attached to citizenship. Have you already applied for her citizenship?

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Laura,
se voce e sua filha tem cidadania americana, deve ser bem mais facil conseguir o visto de trabalho aqui... eh o caso de levar ao consulado japones e perguntar a respeito disso.

Laura,
se voce e sua filha tem cidadania americana, deve ser bem mais facil conseguir o visto de trabalho aqui... eh o caso de levar ao consulado japones e perguntar a respeito disso.
Okada

Hello Okada,

In consideration of all our members would you please post in English ONLY in this Anglophone forum. If you wish to post in Portuguese, please access the Portuguese language forum by clicking on the Portugal/Brazil flag icon at the top of the page.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif

Hi William,
Thank you for your prompt response.
Yes, she was registered with the Brazilian Consulate in San Francisco and got a "traslado" of the birth certificate in Brazil. I also got her a Brazilian Passport at the same Consulate.
On the "Traslado de Nascimento" says  under Observação: De conformidade com P ....o registro de nascimento só valerá como prova de nacionalidade brasileira desde que a registranda opte, a qualquer tempo, pela nacionalidade brasileira na Justiça Federal." She just turned 12, so perhaps she can get the cizenship now.
The problem for me is that we live in a small town, away from all the Federal bureaux and the American Embassy. But I will see if she can do it in my town.
The main problem for her was that her both passports are expired and she doesnŽt have a picture ID, what makes it difficult for her to move around Brazil.
I didnŽt have an intention to let both passports expire, but life circunstances held me back here.
As any expat in Brazil knows, the bureaucracy here is a nightmare, so I donŽt have much motivation to start on the process, specially for the girl whose passports expired more than once.
Thank you again, and I will check on your info.

You should register her with the Cartório da 1a Circunscrição do Registro Civil das Pessoas Naturais in the city where you live in Brazil. If your town does not have a 1a circunscrição (small town) that should be done in the capital of the State where you live.

That is, if she was born between July 7th 1994 and September 20th 2007 (which is the case considering you say she's 12).

You have to take the Traslado made up by the consulate to the Cartorio mentoned above.

After that, you can simply go to DETRAN and get an ID, or get the Passport renewed with the federal police.

Registering the Birth Cert tecnically is not necessary, but the other option is spending a lot of money on lawyers.

Hi lawyer_rio,
Thank you for your info.
Just a little correction on the info I gave out. I got the Traslado de Nascimento at Cartorio xxxx, Primeiro Oficio de Registro Civil. On the pink cover, it is written "Certidão". I have used this document to enroll her at school and everything has been fine until now. However, I am not able to get her the RG ID card for she has not opted for the Brazilian nationality. I am assuming that only Brazilian naturals can get a RG. I even hired a "despachante" but he came back with nothing. I went to the local "delegacia de polícia" at a town we lived before, and I had the same problem. We did fill out the form, it was sent to elsewhere that issue the RG, but it was returned to us. So far, three different places let us fill out the form, but it got denied by the official agency.
But I will try to go to DETRAN to see if they tell me something else. IŽll let you know.
For now, thank you for your advice.
Laura Shimizu

Unfortunatly, many of these organs do not know the actual law.

By constitutional amendment of 20 September 2007, the "Ato das Disposições Constitucionais Transitórias" was changed in the sense that, for those born between the dates mentioned, "opting" is not necessary, only registering at the consulate is sufficient to obtain Brazilian nationality, so getting the RG *should* be no problem at the Detran, but unfortunately, actually knowing the law is not within the job description.

Laura,
no caso da sua filha, se pretendem vir ao Japao, eh melhor ela vir como cidada AMERICANA do que BRASILEIRA se pretendem morar aqui.
e voce tambem, se quer residir aqui, como AMERICANA, em muitas situacoes eh favoravel... por ex. tramites com imobiliarias (provavelmente voce precisarah alugar algum imovel para morar aqui) infelizmente, brasileiros estao sem credito e as imobiliarias evitam alugar aos brasileiros... ou, se alugarem vao querer muitas garantias, que voce, recem chegada nao poderah atender...
e, a sua filha sendo menor de idade, viajar sem o pai, serah mais estressante para voce... acho que no caso de cidadaos americanos eh menos burocratico.
Mesmo em escolas, a probabilidade da sua filha ser mais bem aceita pelos colegas e professores, se torna mil vezes melhor no caso de americanos do que brasileiros.

Okada,

English ONLY please. This is the Aglophone forum. I have already explained this to you.

OK