Fireworks again????

hello guys,

We are about 3-4 weeks in Malta and I think they have done fireworks and firecrackers like 10 times already... is there any particular reason for doing that so often?

how about using some of the fireworks' money to do some more constructive stuff? i.e. cleaning streets, improving the infrastructure, putting some garbage bins (although garbage collection is good i have to say) finishing buildings LOL....

or is it an untouchable Maltese tradition?

i bet this has been asked already many times...

ciao!
Gab

Hi gabrio,

As much as annoying it can be, specially if you have to wake up early in morning and you cannot sleep due to its noise, this is a very old tradition in Malta and it's part of its history. Here is a brief explanation of this tradition:

"Fireworks in Malta have a long tradition which is centuries old. Indeed the craft of pyrotechnics in Malta goes back to the time of the Order of the Knights of St John.  The Order which was conventual, aristocratic and military used to celebrate the most important feasts by special pyrotechnic displays. Such firework displays were an expression of rejoicing on special occasions, such as the election of a Grand Master or a Pope, as well as on the birth of a prince."

You can read the full history here. I am sure that if you do a Google search, you'll find more info about it. I am sorry to disappoint you :)

Cheerio,
Antonio

Hi Gabrio,

Throughout summer, from June to the end of September, each and every village will have their 'Feast'. Normally 2 or 3 villages will share the same feast day.
It is a 2 week celebration, centered around the church. The streets will be lined with banners and statues. The final weekend will end in street parties and fun.

I'm affraid, the fireworks are all part and parcel of it, starting at 08:00 and carrying on through the day at 12:00, 20:00 and 23:00.

It is such an important part of Maltese culture and life here. Your family will enjoy them! Here is a list of the feasts with some pictures of a feast here

Enjoy and get use to them!!

Caroline

Yes! It is an untouchable tradition and craft..
Don't knock it, it's fun!!! (A bit dangerous mind.)
Should have been here last week.
Malta also hosts and competes in international fireworks competitions.

redmik wrote:

Dangerous for the spectators but there are also firework related deaths from the manufacturing of them every year.

Very tragic, sometimes whole families are killed (Birkikara 3 years ago.)

coxf0001 wrote:
redmik wrote:

Dangerous for the spectators but there are also firework related deaths from the manufacturing of them every year.

Very tragic, sometimes whole families are killed (Birkikara 3 years ago.)

Used to be very much worse too.
Earlier this year there was a stink because two bar/restaurant owners were banned from their own establishments and not permitted to open as the fireworks competition made the area too dangerous. The logic escaped me because if it was too dangerous why hold the competition there? I think it was at Marsaxlokk. Good risk assessment eh?
But I enjoy them. From a 'gallows/service humour' point of view, I wonder how they may affect people with PTSD?
Here, last Saturday, they were used to excellent effect to
re-enact an air raid from WW2 and that's what they remind me of, an air raid or an artillery barrage sometimes.

I think this is the first year in the last 5 that a firework factory has not blown up.

coxf0001 wrote:

I think this is the first year in the last 5 that a firework factory has not blown up.

I thought one blew up at the beginning of the year between March and July I think?

Just found it 12th May

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ent.474548

and another:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ves.474840

Yes, you're right, I've just done a search and it seems it happens every year

https://www.google.com.mt/#q=list+of+fi … s+in+malta

And then of course you get the really dangerous and stupid.

A fireworks manufacturer who carried explosives in his car and had large amounts of it in his home was jailed for two years and had his licence suspended.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … out.477733

Ha, in UK and elsewhere the Anti Terrorist Squads would have a field day.

I wonder if there's a petition somewhere? Byron?

A contribution out of history.

Here you will find a report, already 10 years old but somehow still current.
The second link will give you the explanation to the 'Mickey Mouse land' mentioned in the first link.

timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20030805/letters/noisy-petards.144087
timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20030723/local/closure-order-on-arrivals-runway-because-of-fireworks.145051