Desperately seeking advice for Thu Duc

Hello expat community,

Just curious if anyone has any advice for a new comer to Thu Duc district. I am volunteering with four other active, intelligent, adventurous and culturally curious young people. We are looking for advice on adjusting to the culture here (seems much more relaxed than the big city hubub we are used to- apparently everything closes by 10pm?) and would love any suggestions for good eating joints and places to meet people.

Would be incredibly grateful to anyone able to shed some light.

Cheers

you can catch bus to go centre of HCM if you have free time (but bus wont work after 7:30pm
You also can meet much foregeirs at Pham Ngu Lao street at District 1 cuz its place for foreigner and much attraction near there. You can visit Duc Ba catheral, Post office, Ben Thanh market on Disct and War museum on District 3
You also can enjoy high land coffee - best coffee of Vietnam on Pham Ngu Lao street
Contact with me if you wanna k more information bout HCMC :)

The area of Thu Duc which runs right alongside the Hanoi Highway, just across the street from Coopmart District 9 and Saigon International University is probably your best bet for restaurants and cafes.  This area is known as Phuong Bin Tho (Binh Tho Ward). Then again it's only 15 minutes down the road to Thao Dien / District 2, which you'll find a lot more satisfying if you're after Western fare.  Otherwise, if you're situated up on the other end of Thu Duc, you might want to try the new Big C shopping/dining complex in Di An.

melw wrote:

Hello expat community,

Just curious if anyone has any advice for a new comer to Thu Duc district. I am volunteering with four other active, intelligent, adventurous and culturally curious young people. We are looking for advice on adjusting to the culture here (seems much more relaxed than the big city hubub we are used to- apparently everything closes by 10pm?) and would love any suggestions for good eating joints and places to meet people.

Would be incredibly grateful to anyone able to shed some light.

Cheers

Where's the fire?  ("Desperately seeking...").  Are you that bored already?  As you have noticed, Thu Duc District is more of a working class neighborhood whereas D1 is more geared up for tourism and entertainment.  If you're looking for some culture in Thu Duc, then just walk around the area after you get off work (but go home and lock your doors before 10PM).  You're bound to find a coffee shop around where you and your friends can just sit, chill and people-watch. 

The "average" person just goes to work and goes home.  They have families to tend to while the young and unmarried usually hang out at coffee shops.  That's pretty much entertainment for the average citizen in a working neighborhood. 

As far as looking for "good eating joints", whatever closest to you usually works.  Walk the block and you'll find wherever there's alot of customers at a particular eatery, then that means the food is good there.

Meeting expats are a little harder than if you're in D1 where foreigners are a common sight.  If you want to meet locals, then of course, you should start learning some Vietnamese.  Some youtube videos have some basic lessons.  Or you can just print out a bunch of flyers and paste them on telephone poles asking for someone to teach you and your friends Vietnamese at a coffee shop.

Hi there,

I am newcomer in HCMC and live in Thu Duc district as well (on Dang Van Bi). I've only been in the city for a couple days and just settling in but it'd be great meeting up for a coffee or exploring the city together. Please let me know or just write me over here.

Cheers!

hello melw,
hello millopiriz,

If you want to go to coffee shop. In Thu Duc have a well-known coffee area where including many cafes with named is "Thu Duc coffee village", called in Vietnam is "Làng cà phê Thủ Đức". it is opposite the Technical Training University of Ho Chi Minh City on Võ Văn Ngân street. HCM city have three such villages in total. So, you can ask anyone in Thu Duc, they will show you

If you want to go to park for fun and entertaiment. You can go to Đầm Sen park.

You can go to "University village", as well, to discover student's life there. It will be an exciting experience. You can make friend and sip a cup of coffee in there. it is very student :D 

In addition, You can serch Google, you type: "lang ca phe thu duc" or "lang dai hoc quoc gia tp hcm". Then, you open one certain site. next, you use Google Translate to translate these sites from Vietnamese to English. You can find many interesting things by yourself.

If you have any problem, feel free let me know.
Hope you enjoy ;)
lutubu

in Can ho thu duc (phoxinhland.vn/ban-can-ho-opal-riverside-binh-trieu-thu-duc.html) have opal riverside for sale OK

You know, when I first got here a couple of months ago, there's a tourist info hotline that helped ALOT. I think it's 19006167 or 19006169 or something. Hope this help.

If you get in any trouble, feel free to ask