Environmental Organizations?

Hello,

I am interested in finding some kind of environmental organizations, clubs or groups in Ho Chi Minh City that I could volunteer at 1 or 2 times a month. If anyone knows of any please let me know as I am very interested in this subject and believe it is important to Vietnam.

Thanks
Chris

I'm looking for something like that too. I'll try to do some Google search and let you know the result once I found out

Check out ARC or WAR. WAR (http://www.wildlifeatrisk.org/home.html) is outside HCM but certainly worth contacting :)
Not too sure if ARC will be what your looking for but can't hurt to contact them all the same.

I am a member of wildlife animals protection program, here is the website : hoangda.org/, it's in Vietnamese (Google translate may help), you may contact them through emails provided on the web or PM me:)

vacne.org.vn is the website for the Nature and Environment protection organization. It's in Vietnamese also.

Sad to say, but most Asian men would rather eat an endangered species than save it.  I say this coming from an Environmental Studies background.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming and I will check them all out. I really want to find something to volunteer for.

@Aquameo.....LOL yes you are right about eating endangered species...ha ha. However, there are more issues here besides endangered species. Air, water and waste pollution in the city. Out side the city there are loss of forests, pesticides, erosion, etc...

-Chris

That is certainly true, Chris.  My specialty is urban gardening and water filtration.  It is an uphill battle, here, but it feels good to be on the front lines.

- Bryan

Urban gardening sounds cool. One thing this city is missing is some grass!! Would be a lot cleaner and appealing for sure. Carry on the good work Bryan.

-Chris

Jayhawk wrote:

Hello, I am interested in finding some kind of environmental organizations,

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,
Will you please share on the forum if you find one? Thanks

HI Jayhawk,

I worked for a organization name SIFE (Student in Free Enterprise. In that org. we help in need people carry projects that allow them to earn the own living by the own hands.

In need people means: disable children, unemployed women,....

Projects always meet 3 criteria: Economics, Environment and social.

At the moment we are doing a project to help orphans in an orphanage make used paper to bags,....

If you are interested in this project, please drop me an message, than we can talk more about this by email

Regards

by the way, you can find more information in sife.org/Pages/default.aspx

@Chris: I'm more into edible and medicinal plants.

Awwie, maybe we could volunteer for an Agent Orange organization to help children with birth defects?

350 Vietnam, I think maybe you'll be interested in it :D I love animals and love to protect them =(( I try to tell everyone that dogs and cats are our friends, but then they ask me whether I used to eat chicken or not. They ask me not to pretend to be moral :-< Hate them a lot :(

Hi Jayhawk,

facebook.com/unicefnextgenvn. You can sign up to volunteer for upcoming education & fundraising activities of Unicef's Next Generation by emailing nextgenerationvn[at]unicef.org.
As I heard environment is part of the project, you can proactively email them to ask for more info, discuss the field you would like to support.

Another project I know is Clean water & Sanitation of East meets West
eastmeetswest.org/page.aspx?pid=399

That east meets west site, just seems be after to after donations, couldnt see anywhere they ask for volunteers.

Many people think the same: social responsibility activities=charity=donation. I used to also :)

You are the one who decide which part to contribute: financial or volunteering or both. All are essential & valuable. It doesn't stop at giving the money.
Actually to run a project they already have corporate/instutitional's sponsor(s). I think its best to ask them for more info to consider if you feel comfortable to join or not.

Education for Nature Vietnam: envietnam.org

There is Green Drinks where you might get some contacts: held a bit irregularly, I think: facebook.com/greendrinks

I have heard about a Song Xanh cafe near Ben Thanh but not been (Song Xanh = Live Green). Maybe more contacts there.

There are few international NGOs scattered in HCMC eg IUCN who has a volunteer or two, as most are in Hanoi.

There aren't that many organisations, because NGOs were treated with suspicion for a long time in a place where everything was 'government'. There is green thinking to a degree all the way up to the central government, but not personal action to the same extent as for some in the west.

(I am work for a forestry organisation, so I know that issues like climate change, declining water resources, deforestation, coastal erosion etc are well known.)

Hello all! I just had a meeting with a man from ENV (Education for Nature Vietnam). I'm definitely excited to start volunteering with them! The great thing about this group is that it's "foreigner friendly"

The website is in English and they are looking for more foreigners to volunteer at the moment! Their website again is: envietnam.org. You can become a member (which means donate $$$), or, like me, you can become a volunteer (free of course).

They don't have a link for their volunteer registration form online yet, but you can contact me directly and I can e-mail it directly to you. I encourage EVERYONE to participate or at least message me for more information to see if it's right for you :)

-Nelly

sunkenship wrote:

I am a member of wildlife animals protection program, here is the website : hoangda.org/, it's in Vietnamese (Google translate may help), you may contact them through emails provided on the web or PM me:)

This website doesn't work!