Good Superstore in KL

Please name any good superstores in KL from where one can have all under one shed, like we had in Saudia Carrefour, Panda, Lulu etc. is it true that all supermarkets inKL close at 10 pm. I am here for last two days and can hardly find anything after 10 pm.
I am bad missing some good Indian / Pakistani restaurants while living in ampang area, near French embassy. Please suggest from where can I have food of my likes, keeping big restaurants aside.
Also please share with me few good travel agencies in my area from where I can get ckets for langkawi. I couldn't find any rent a car around, pls guide me in that area also. I will appreciate your help to an expat visitor. Regards

Ampang Tesco is 10mins taxi ride (if no jam) from your place, its a huge hypermarket where you can buy everything under one shelter. But they open till 10.30 Mon to Sun.

Giant also closer to your place and open till 10pm.

Mydin is another option too.

If you need 24x7 shops (just to buy generic stuff), look for 7eleven, KK super mart.

As for indian and local foods (street foods), just look for sushis corner. Its just beside main traffic light connecting to middle ring 2 road under the bridge. If you wanna try exclusive indian foods,
look for Bobay Palace, Passage Through India

also I tried nice Parkistani foods at Bukit Bintang in front of Federal hotel.

With regards to travel agents, please visit to Ampang Point and Ampang Park and Great Eastern Mall, you may find them.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

In case you want to explore Rasai's suggestion of coming into Bukit Bintang here is what is happening today and tonight in Jalan Alor, which is close to the Federal Hotel.

In fact Jalan Bukit Bintang is probably the best place for you and your family to pick up any kind of food you like at reasonable prices.  Best shopping areas as well.

Experience a remarkable festival tonight - here is a clip from events on Jalan Alor:

youtube.com/watch?v=1xY4W3PBAqY

The Hungry Ghost Festival is a traditional Chinese festival celebrated around the world. The festival falls on the 15th day (Ghost Day) of the 7th lunar month (Ghost Month), according to the Chinese lunar calendar.

It is believed that, on this day, the gates of hell open and the spirits of the dead are free to visit the world of the living, to seek sustenance after a year-long starvation in hell or to seek revenge on those who have wronged them.

Ethnic Chinese devotees carry a giant paper-made statue of Chinese deity know as 'Da Shi Ye' or 'Guardian God of Ghosts' to set on fire during the festive event of Hungry Ghost. Other items (replicas made of paper) needed by the departed are also burnt - houses, cars, furniture, food...

A large festival area has been set up half way down Jalan Alor for the celebration. There are banners everywhere showing the way. Expect a lot of smoke and noise during the festival.....

rasai wrote:

Ampang Tesco is 10mins taxi ride (if no jam) from your place, its a huge hypermarket where you can buy everything under one shelter. But they open till 10.30 Mon to Sun.

Giant also closer to your place and open till 10pm.

Mydin is another option too.

If you need 24x7 shops (just to buy generic stuff), look for 7eleven, KK super mart.

As for indian and local foods (street foods), just look for sushis corner. Its just beside main traffic light connecting to middle ring 2 road under the bridge. If you wanna try exclusive indian foods,
look for Bobay Palace, Passage Through India

also I tried nice Parkistani foods at Bukit Bintang in front of Federal hotel.

With regards to travel agents, please visit to Ampang Point and Ampang Park and Great Eastern Mall, you may find them.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

So informative for a new guy like me. I am thankfUl to you for this. Will explore Bukit B also tonight. Thanks Geavities, you have already helped and guided me a lot. god bless.

One end of Jalan Bukit Bintang is the shopping Mall called Pavilion. It has the famous tea cup water fountain for photographs just outside and events inside.

If you walk down Jalan Bukit Bintang with Pavilion behind you there is Farenheit 88 Mall and Lot 10 Mal on left and various shops like H & M. On the right there are about 8 middle eastern restarants before you come to the MONORAIL.

Its a bit muddly as they are constructing underground station and railway, so the streets are a bit changed.  But don't worry.

After the monorail you have McDonalds and Burger King (small outlets) on the right.  On the left you have a big big shopping Mall called BB Park / Sungae Wang (well worth a visit and there are money changers just inside).  Amazing place for anything you could think about wanting.  At the LG floor there is a big McD and Kentucky Chicken (thinking about children).

Where the building works comes to an end you will also see a Kentucky Fried on your right - walk down that side road past the fruit sellers for about 100 metres and you will find Jalan Alor on your right. (famous KL foodstreet, but not Halal).

If you just continue down the street there are lots of ethnic restaurants on the right hand side selling food you will recognize.  Buffets are very popular here where you pick what you want and pay for each dish say RM1-3 Ringgit.

Continuing down the street on the left hand side is BB Park - there is an arabic restaurant at the beginning (Morush? I think it is called)  The Federal Hotel is just next to that on the same side.  If you walk through BB Park its only 50 metres long - you will find coffee shops and a great Japanese restaurant called Sushi ZanMai - I recommend this highly as it is cheap, clean and tasty - Halal I think.  It is in a Mall Called Low Yat - which is 6 floor of technology only (phones, tv, cameras, sat nav. etc. etc.)

Enjoy your evening.  You will find there are lots of people from the middle east on holiday in Bukit Bintang - so you can always ask for help.

You can also book your flights to Langkawi at 12Fly:

facebook.com/12fly.com.my?filter=3

They have a big office just at the bottom of Jalan Alor (street where festival is taking place).

At the far end of Jalan Alor when the food stalls finish just follow the road around the corner to the right.  You first come to Ancient Thai - my favourite massage place.  If you keep walking along the right hand side past the 168 all purpose shop you will find 12fly on the corner.

No. 21, Jalan Tong Shin
50200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Phone 1-800-88-2011
email [email protected]

Gravitas wrote:

One end of Jalan Bukit Bintang is the shopping Mall called Pavilion. It has the famous tea cup water fountain for photographs just outside and events inside.

If you walk down Jalan Bukit Bintang with Pavilion behind you there is Farenheit 88 Mall and Lot 10 Mal on left and various shops like H & M. On the right there are about 8 middle eastern restarants before you come to the MONORAIL.

Its a bit muddly as they are constructing underground station and railway, so the streets are a bit changed.  But don't worry.

After the monorail you have McDonalds and Burger King (small outlets) on the right.  On the left you have a big big shopping Mall called BB Park / Sungae Wang (well worth a visit and there are money changers just inside).  Amazing place for anything you could think about wanting.  At the LG floor there is a big McD and Kentucky Chicken (thinking about children).

Where the building works comes to an end you will also see a Kentucky Fried on your right - walk down that side road past the fruit sellers for about 100 metres and you will find Jalan Alor on your right. (famous KL foodstreet, but not Halal).

If you just continue down the street there are lots of ethnic restaurants on the right hand side selling food you will recognize.  Buffets are very popular here where you pick what you want and pay for each dish say RM1-3 Ringgit.

Continuing down the street on the left hand side is BB Park - there is an arabic restaurant at the beginning (Morush? I think it is called)  The Federal Hotel is just next to that on the same side.  If you walk through BB Park its only 50 metres long - you will find coffee shops and a great Japanese restaurant called Sushi ZanMai - I recommend this highly as it is cheap, clean and tasty - Halal I think.  It is in a Mall Called Low Yat - which is 6 floor of technology only (phones, tv, cameras, sat nav. etc. etc.)

Enjoy your evening.  You will find there are lots of people from the middle east on holiday in Bukit Bintang - so you can always ask for help.

thats real info, much appreciated. Gravitas, do all what you mentioned on BB close by 10.30 pm ! Around what time we should reach there so that we could comfortably make our visit thru BB. Can we manage all in one day, hope it won't be that tiring :) just tell me the appropriate time to be there cuz I guess it would be bit hot at around 4.00 pm !!

I guess you can do a bit of reconnaisance day 1 (I know you will go back again....if you have time). Shopping is good in the late afternoon and early evening.  It will be about 28-30 degrees outside but Malls are airconditioned. (Sorry about the rain yesterday :-(( - this is not typcal at all for KL - must be at least 3 or 4 months since we had a day like that.)  Today is typical weather.....

The Malls are open until 10 pm.  There is a nice supermarket in Pavilion.

The whole of the BB area is alive until at least 1-2 am and sometimes later especially Friday and weekends. There are plenty of 24hr food places. 

It is pretty when lit up at night everywhere so definitely plan to be in BB from 7.15 pm onwards - it is charming to see all the lights and lanterns etc.  (btw - BB is a chinese quarter in KL)  The Indian quarter is round the Sentral Station and is called Brickfields. Very colorful too.

On the shopping side of life - I forgot that right opposite Pavilion is Star Gallery - very high end watches and jewellery and some clothes shops, including Debenhams.....

I came to Malaysia to get away from westernised / American superstores and corporate "fascism" lol so why not engljpy old fashioned shopping??

Mega mall as an alternative.

I use an agent called "the internet" can't remember seeing a travel agent for ten years. Do they still exist?

???

Gravitas wrote:

I guess you can do a bit of reconnaisance day 1 (I know you will go back again....if you have time). Shopping is good in the late afternoon and early evening.  It will be about 28-30 degrees outside but Malls are airconditioned. (Sorry about the rain yesterday :-(( - this is not typcal at all for KL - must be at least 3 or 4 months since we had a day like that.)  Today is typical weather.....

The Malls are open until 10 pm.  There is a nice supermarket in Pavilion.

The whole of the BB area is alive until at least 1-2 am and sometimes later especially Friday and weekends. There are plenty of 24hr food places. 

It is pretty when lit up at night everywhere so definitely plan to be in BB from 7.15 pm onwards - it is charming to see all the lights and lanterns etc.  (btw - BB is a chinese quarter in KL)  The Indian quarter is round the Sentral Station and is called Brickfields. Very colorful too.

On the shopping side of life - I forgot that right opposite Pavilion is Star Gallery - very high end watches and jewellery and some clothes shops, including Debenhams.....

Pardon me for being so inquisitive but since you said Brickfield is an Indian quarter ....so shouldn't I be going to Brickfield instead, or both places shouldn't  be taken in comparison ! Are both of these places near by.
Heard a lot about mega mall, as memo dot said would be great idea to visit this place as well. any idea about mega mall location. We infact enjoyed the rain yesterday a lot, was so fascinating looking at the mountains covered with clouds and occasional rain....felt so good and wish we encounter a couple of more days like that :)

Also please tell me where should I ask the taxi to drop us in BB, is it near pavilion or...cuz we intend first to move around, have food at around 8.00 pm and finally go to supermarket for groceries, and then take a taxi and come back to our place. Thanks

Ask the taxi to drop you in Bukit Bintang at Pavilion Mall - by the JW Marriott Hotel / Starhill Gallery.  They all at the same location - it may just help to mention a few places to help him focus on where to go.

It not so black and white - pakistan and indian food are very available in bukit bintang, as well as middle eastern food. It's a cosmopolitan area and famous. The buffets are especially good. It is an experience to visit the area to see what is going on.

Brickfields is just Indian focused. The restaurant I suggested to you earlier is moghulmahal.com.my/

Moghul Mahal
153, Jalan Sultan Abdul Samad,
50470 Brickfields Kuala Lumpur

Tel : 03 - 2272 5870

While there are lots of restaurants and street food in Brickfields my personal opinion is that the quality varies a lot and I have paid for a meal there and walked out having not eaten it because it was not good.

If you can get to Ampang Park LRT station on foot, which should be close to where you are staying, you can take the LRT train to Sentral (which is in Brickfields).  It would be an adventure for the kids as it is a driverless train.

You are staying near the Twin Towers and KLCC Park and Suria Shopping centre.  There is a water show at the Mall/Park every evening and the park is nice. Suria Mall has everything you could think of, incuding a Marks & Spencer and Mothercare (UK).