Langkawi - from airport to hotel !

My hotel is in Kuah, around 40 minutes drive from airport. If I reach late night at langkawi, should I hire a car from airport and travel by myself upto hote, using my galaxy note navigator OR better to hire a taxi and reach hotel. I will be with my family, and this is the first time i am travelling to malaysia. I also intend to keep a car during my stay in langkawi, rather that moving around on taxis. Pls advise !!

Since you're travelling with your family, i would suggest that take a cab to go to your hotel first, then relax and have good rest. So next day onward you may rent-a-car. Perhaps you can ask around for renting places contacts. I paid about rm90 per day on a decent car in Langkawi last year. I'm not quite sure on the rating nowadays and you may further explore once you got there practically:)

Cheers!

Thanks rasai, you been really helpful. Little afraid cuz of new place, hotel far away from airport and family along....! Are cab drivers friendly, and approx how much should be the taxi fare from airport to kuch.

Book in Advance.

Here is one company's rates from Airport to Hotel in Kuah Town / Jetty

80  Wira Car

90  Perdana Car

180  Limo

I found it by just googling "langkawi airport limo service"

If you may have lots of luggage for the family, book a large car or even a minibus.

Gravitas wrote:

Book in Advance.

Here is one company's rates from Airport to Hotel in Kuah Town / Jetty

80  Wira Car

90  Perdana Car

180  Limo

I found it by just googling "langkawi airport limo service"

If you may have lots of luggage for the family, book a large car or even a minibus.

Seeing the rates it seems that better to have a rented car from air port than hiring these cabs, am I right !! I am a family of five and shall be requiring big car, whereas in MR 100 I can get some decent car for 24 hrs.pls suggest, I am a budget traveler and would definitely look for economy, cheers

Driving at night on unfamiliar roads, finding a hotel sounds like a big challenge.

Have you asked the hotel you are staying at if they have facilities to collect you from the airport or could either arrange a collection or suggest a company that can provide the service?

Were you aware that many of the tourist and scenic areas are on the side of the island near to the airport?

Kuah may feature an unattractive waterfront, but Langkawi's main town is not completely devoid of stimulating activities. It's not littered with spas like Pantai Cenang, nor does it feature many exciting activity options like Pantai Kok, but it is the best place on Langkawi Island to get reasonably-priced fare and duty-free goods.

While Kuah may also feature far too many abandoned shop lots and a muddy manmade waterfront, it's not a half-bad idea to spend a day or two in this quarter of Langkawi. Golf enthusiasts can tee-off at the Gunung Raya Golf Resort
unquote

Gravitas wrote:

Driving at night on unfamiliar roads, finding a hotel sounds like a big challenge.

Have you asked the hotel you are staying at if they have facilities to collect you from the airport or could either arrange a collection or suggest a company that can provide the service?

Were you aware that many of the tourist and scenic areas are on the side of the island near to the airport?

Kuah may feature an unattractive waterfront, but Langkawi's main town is not completely devoid of stimulating activities. It's not littered with spas like Pantai Cenang, nor does it feature many exciting activity options like Pantai Kok, but it is the best place on Langkawi Island to get reasonably-priced fare and duty-free goods.

While Kuah may also feature far too many abandoned shop lots and a muddy manmade waterfront, it's not a half-bad idea to spend a day or two in this quarter of Langkawi. Golf enthusiasts can tee-off at the Gunung Raya Golf Resort
unquote

You mean I should stay closer to the airport. But after hiring a car, I plan to move around and see all the main attractions, like cable car, sky bridge( don't know if it is still close or opened ), underwater world , jetty , malls n duty free shops. Can I do it once I have a rental car n a good navigator. So should I stick to same hotel in much or move closer to air port. Btw which is the main activity area.
Driving from air port to hotel won't be an issue if I reach there sometimes in the day hours, and for that I am trying to get a flight that touches langkawi at around 13 to  14 hrs time. Any idea, what time the sun sets there.
Also pls guide me if I am not correct at any place as I have not seen the area and am mostly just guessing, cheers

Stay in one of the hotels on the west coast near the airport. There are lots to choose from. We used a motor scooter to get around as the distances are not that far.  If you stay in Kuah you will be driving back to the airport area virtually every day as that is the resort and interesting area.

Basically its a 12 hour day in this part of the world.  Sun rises at about 7.30 in the morning and sets the same time in the evening.  Everything you want to see is in Cenang or on that side of the island.

Gravitas wrote:

Basically its a 12 hour day in this part of the world.  Sun rises at about 7.30 in the morning and sets the same time in the evening.  Everything you want to see is in Cenang or on that side of the island.

You mean coming every now n then to cenang won't be good idea ! Just 20 or 30 minutes drive from my hotel to these places, can enjoy the scenic beauty of the town while driving and have little stop overs on the way, some pics and then move on....you know ...can be a fun I believe. Don't know how you look at it...! How bat food stuff, are there any good restaurants in the kuch area or for that also I will have to come to cenang ! My hotel is Bayview, is it ok ! Review show it is reasonably good and ideally located ...giving nice sea view :)

There is very little scenic beauty except on the coast to the west and parts of the north, near the craft centre, which is a fairly long drive from say the cable car station.  I think you may have the wrong impression of Langkawi. If you want to look at normal Malaysian houses and way of life, you will meet this everywhere. The best experiences are on boats, looking back at the land. If you look at the distribution of roads, you will see how access is fairly limited with just 2 or 3 major connected routes. Looking for activities for your children will probably make or break your holiday.  If they are having a nice time and are stimulated by what they do and see - it will be a success.

The Villa Langkawii, Fave Hotel Cenang Beach Langkawi and Resorts World Langkawi....pls suggest which one  should I select out of these three. I think they are located within the main activity areas. You are right I have no idea about the ideal location to stay in langkawi, it was just from the reviews at trip advisor and that's all. Pls suggest as I have to finalize the booking. I will have to  cancel the bayview hotel booking it seems.

When are you coming to Langkawi? That may influence your choice of hotel. It's school holidays again soon and end of term Nov/Dec. and prices go up.

I dont know what you expect from a hotel or a holiday, so its very difficult to advise. Do you use the swimming pool and relax with a beer or are you more formal and would not consider walking along the beach and the group just want to sightsee and shop/eat?  Cenang and Tengah are seaside locations so relaxed and sunny sort of places for hanging out in flipflops and shorts.

If you are a more formal traveller then you can choose a more inland location?

Hotels
Definitely NOT Resort World - old, rundown and isolated.

Fave - its basic but not a place to relax in as its on a main road in an urban setting 3 mins walk from main street and beach. Plus point - it is a modern hotel (so many are run down on Langkawi).

The reviews for Langkawi Resort (not sure I found the right one as so many have the same name) are not good either.

At the airport there is the usual Malaysian system where you go to the taxi desk and state your destination and there is a fixed price charged.  You pay at the desk, get a ticket and proceed to the next available vehicle.  I found taxis expensive on Langkawi so you have the right idea to hire a car - at least for some days - once you work out an itinerary of what you intend to see and so.  Some things can be combined on a single day as they are close to each other. Langkawi is quite a small island.

Gravitas wrote:

At the airport there is the usual Malaysian system where you go to the taxi desk and state your destination and there is a fixed price charged.  You pay at the desk, get a ticket and proceed to the next available vehicle.  I found taxis expensive on Langkawi so you have the right idea to hire a car - at least for some days - once you work out an itinerary of what you intend to see and so.  Some things can be combined on a single day as they are close to each other. Langkawi is quite a small island.

I am a formal kinda tourist, having bit conservative approach moving with my family with three kids. So you can say its mostly kids outing and little less of mine. I am a nature lover and was eager to see the sky bridge and cable car, and it mainly prompted us to keep few days for langkawi. Alongside we don't mind strolling on the beaches, taking dips in the pools and having jetty experience. So it will be a mix, and the hotels I chose mainly because of the availability in the dates on which I shall be coming to langkawi. I also feel that living close to airport is better, and if I find most of the attractions O&M my interest close by, that would be a plus. However I don't mind driving couple of minutes to reach to a spot as it also is an adventure in itself, moving on a car and exploring the places around. Hope you understood my interests and now would be in a better position to suggest the location and hotel.. I appreciate your help bro.

This is on the beach and peaceful - The Lanai Langkawi Beach Resort so dont have to go out all the time.

Gravitas wrote:

This is on the beach and peaceful - The Lanai Langkawi Beach Resort so dont have to go out all the time.

I have cancelled the Bayview booking and made a fresh booking of  The Villa Langkawi, it's close to airport. Pls tell whether it is better than the previous one !

From airport better to take a taxi, fare will be according to your destinations normally.

I've been to Langkawi early June recently so for the packages and car rent i have a contact over there. 0194789213 not mistaken, his name is roslan... not very sure... he have a counter beside the ferry terminal...
they also offers cheap package for snorkeling, island hoping and also mangrove.. these 3 things which shud not be missed at langkawi...basically snorkeling is not that great except for the view at the place... the rest is not at all... mangrove is RM90/person, same with snorkeling and island hoping is RM25/person...

I have been to langkawi twice, coming from America. I'mn my estimation that Meritaus Langkawi, on Peringi Beach, a 5 star location right on the beach, 15 minutes from the airport. The hotel is villa style completely renovated in the past Two years. The swimming facilities are great for children, two pools, one with kiddie water sports. Keep in my mind that Langkawi is not that big of an island. We did the cable ride, crocodile farm and arts and craft exhibit comfortably in one day. I rented a car for one day, about 90 US dollars to do all of these activities. For the most part this is still an under developed part Malaysia, but very beautiful and the people are friendly if not a bit reserved.

Hsni wrote:
Gravitas wrote:

I have cancelled the Bayview booking and made a fresh booking of  The Villa Langkawi, it's close to airport. Pls tell whether it is better than the previous one !

Thanks for this valuable info. I have put these on my to do list :) I have already arranges a rented car also that will be delivered to me at the airport once I reach there. Just want to know whether roaming out in the evening with family is ok there or we should try n finish our activities earlier and be at our place before evening.
Secondly, is there any big difference in the prices of electronic stuff at duty free shops than in KL.I want to buy a handycam, should I get it from KL or from langkawi. Tahnsk

I don't think you should be too worried about being out after dark. If your hotel is on the beach , there are several restaurants to go to and the sunsets are really beautiful. Again, Langkawi is not KL, It is a somewhat underdeveloped island with just the right balance of modern  amenities  and Muslim Malay culture. The staff at all of the nicer hotels are very friendly and helpful, so if you encounter a minor difficulty, just use your cell phone and call them. Remember, the best things about Langkawi are that it is not KL or even Penang for that matter.

Meinmly777 wrote:

I don't think you should be too worried about being out after dark. If your hotel is on the beach , there are several restaurants to go to and the sunsets are really beautiful. Again, Langkawi is not KL, It is a somewhat underdeveloped island with just the right balance of modern  amenities  and Muslim Malay culture. The staff at all of the nicer hotels are very friendly and helpful, so if you encounter a minor difficulty, just use your cell phone and call them. Remember, the best things about Langkawi are that it is not KL or even Penang for that matter.

Thanks, can you name few activities and locations that I should not miss while there.. I have three days stay. Thanks