Why do they do it ?

Just been to Mistra bay near Mellieha a place that we have regularly walked our dog and taken her for a swim.  Its not a swimming beach but has a slipway and boat moorings.
There must be upward of 20 caravans  plus tents and awnings all parked alongside ( some double parked) the shingle beach and blocking access to the beach. Rubbish everywhere  including all around the refurbished (ex fish farm) fort. Further along past the fort loads of dumped building rubble and general rubbish.
Such  a shame as this was a lovely area to walk and dip your feet in the sea. Some tourist that turned up were visibly shocked by the general mess and after a quick look around jumped in the car and drove away.
Can the Maltese not see what they are doing to what should be such  a beautiful island?

Terry :(

But even Tourists are really messy. When I go to the beach nowadays I am always annoyed of people smashing liquor bottles everywhere and one has to be really careful where to step when entering the water.

Are there actually people "cleaning" the rocky beaches in Sliema and St. Julians? I mean like form the government?

Michael.

In my experience if tourists see a clean beach or area with rubbish bins they will keep the area clean but once a place  has the bins overflowing and rubbish dumped every ware then no one bothers and it gets worse. We have rubbish collection every day yet the Maltese still insist on throwing plastic bottles, that they have just cleaned the car windows with, on the verge or land opposite.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

In my experience if tourists see a clean beach or area with rubbish bins they will keep the area clean but once a place  has the bins overflowing and rubbish dumped every ware then no one bothers and it gets worse. We have rubbish collection every day yet the Maltese still insist on throwing plastic bottles, that they have just cleaned the car windows with, on the verge or land opposite.

Terry

One of my tasks this week is to clean up a small area near our apartment block for exactly that reason Terry; plastic bottles all over it. :mad:

Yes i have to agree with you - it seems its acceptable to leave/dump rubbish anywhere but not on your own front porch - much of the rubbish is from locals - not tourists. It seems they dont care about the island and its requirement for attracting tourism - once it gets name for $h!t  all over the place it sticks and tourism will inevitable fall and then they'll worry and wonder why - the same goes for the unrefurbished uncared for hotels - that they still want top dollar for....

They have managed to turn Mistra bay into something that looks like a third world refuge camp. One wonders what they do with all their waste products as there are no public permanent toilet facility's at the bay?

Terry

just dont go in the bushes or trees or maybe thats why the piles of rubble are there to spare your blushes.