Visiting Thailand for 7 days. Tour group or not?

My wife are planning fly from HCMC, Viet Nam to Bangkok, Thailand in November.  This will be our 1st time visiting Thailand.  We don't like the crowds, noise so we have been told to visit:  Hua Hin, Chang Mai.

What we would like to see is the beautiful culture of Thailand in this short week and especially, the FOOD!!!

Any suggestion to where we can get this?  I know that Chang Mai is up north, but are there any QUIET/peaceful town on the coast that is NOT too far once we fly into Bangkok?

THANKS in advance.
Tien Tran

Hi Tien,

Please feel free to read these topic, it might help;

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=288333https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=282404

Hope these link were useful. :)

Regards,

David.

I think You wanted to stay in small town, No need to go  Hua Hin, Chang Mai. for  Hua Hin if you like the beach then all you gonna see is retired people living there, Chang Mai is a Big city almost like Bangkok,

I suggest you go to Singburi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3zwVYPjnOs

It a small town and beautiful,
http://thrillofasia.com.au/culture/79-s … ction.html

Cheers

Any suggestion to where we can get this?  I know that Chang Mai is up north, but are there any QUIET/peaceful town on the coast that is NOT too far once we fly into Bangkok?

I would suggest Prachuap Khiri Khan(the town)much more laid back than HH and not full of expats!! Its a maximum of 3 hours from BKK by bus or mini van. Trains also stop there but take a little longer.

The town has great beaches nearby(Ao Manao) great sea food restaurants and cheap hotel accommodation.

Like an English seaside town!!

they like to get to know culture of Thailand , so they are not looking for a Like an English seaside town. read up the question.

suerte007 wrote:

they like to get to know culture of Thailand , so they are not looking for a Like an English seaside town. read up the question.

I did read the question.

If you care to read my reply to the OP you will see I quoted a particular part which my answer addresses.

If you read a little more you will notice I didn't post two links to web sites selling tours to Thailand or other things. But instead choose to recommend a place I had actually experienced.

I wrote about Prachuap Khiri Khan because I recommend it because I actually lived there for 3 years. I also know Hua Hin very well.

Prachuap Khiri Khan does remind me of an English seaside town. So I said so since I am English. You will notice in my original reply I put a couple of exclamation marks after the sentence!!

As for the Thai culture then you are going to get to experience it more in a small resort town like PKK than the more foreign tourist orientated places like HH. PKK is very popular with Thai weekender's from Bangkok.

Finally, if you want to post links to commercial sites instead of relating your own experiences, well that up to you, but please don't intimate I do not know what I am talking about.

Hellow..If you are planning a visit to Chiangmai...I can give you all the information you need..Yes Quiet areas.Very Buitifull.Manny interesting places to visit. Regards Mike

munmick wrote:

Hellow..If you are planning a visit to Chiangmai...I can give you all the information you need..Yes Quiet areas.Very Buitifull.Manny interesting places to visit. Regards Mike

Thanks MUNMICK....OK, we have NEVER visited Thailand and the thought of flying there and try to find a place is intimidating (at best). We will be flying from HCMC to BKK. How do you get from BKK to Chang Mai? We are looking for a private Bungalow (in Chang Mai?). What about traveling around? Rent a motorcycle? Is ENGLISH widely spoken there?

theteftdon wrote:

I would suggest Prachuap Khiri Khan(the town)much more laid back than HH and not full of expats!! Its a maximum of 3 hours from BKK by bus or mini van. Trains also stop there but take a little longer.

The town has great beaches nearby(Ao Manao) great sea food restaurants and cheap hotel accommodation.

Thanks THETEFLDON....this is the 1st time I've heard of PKK. WOW, you've lived there for 3 yrs. I like seaside town. Same questions (as above)...3 hrs by bus from BKK. Where to stay? we are looking for a private Bungalow. Do they allow people to rent motorcycle?  Is ENGLISH widely spoken there?

I would stay in Bangkok.See the temples ,ride the canals and enjoy the food. The trains can get you anywhere you need or want to go.If you need a beach head to Karon beach. God do i miss Thailand

Hellow and thankyou for your message....Anything you want to know and see about here we can help you ,we have helped many people from all over the world....Can give you number if you want any advice

Hi munmick,

Thank you for your contribution. Feel free to browse through the discussions on the Thailand Forum and help or share useful information please

Maximilien

munmick wrote:

Hellow and thankyou for your message....Anything you want to know and see about here we can help you ,we have helped many people from all over the world....Can give you number if you want any advice

Hi Munmick......my wife and I plan to fly from Ho Chi Minh City (VN) to BKK on Nov. 12...how do we get from BKK to Chang Mai?  What is the best way?  Please help.

Since you stay there, can we meet you?  What is the quiet RESORT we can stay while we are there?  We would like to get a BUNGALOW to rent for 6 days?

While we are there, can we meet you?  we would like to take you out for dinner.

Please correspond us through this email because we don't have a phone to contact when we get into Thailand.

THANKS,

Tien Tran

Plenty of daily flights from BKK to Chang Mai. An online search will give you details.

You can find daily flights from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. AirAsia is a good airline to try. Alternatively, you can also take overnight buses and the train. Of course flying will be more comfortable, faster but also more expensive.

I would suggest while up in Chiang Mai to check out Pai. It is a real relaxed town. Rent a motorbike and cruise the countryside and stop at some of the waterfalls.

The northern Thai food is a bit different than Bangkok. My favorite dish to get while in Chiang Mai is Khao Soi Gai. It is a curry based soup with noodles, coconut milk, fried noodles, pickled cabbage, onions, lime and chicken (gai).

My advice on Thai food...bring an appetite and an open mind. You'll fall in love. Have a great trip :)