Visiting Chiang Mai for the first time

Hi, I'm planning to visit C.M. around the first week of December this year.  I want to spend a week checking it out as my retirement home.  I would like to meet some expats from this blog to talk about their experience living in C.M.  So if their are any expats that would not mind sharing their knowledge I would like to hear from you.
Also, If I like what I see I will return and spend a month to get a better feel of living there. Thank you
Richard

Good afternoon

I am at present hoping to also retire to Chiang Mai. I am visiting CM also at the beginning of December. I have been several times previous, this trip is to check out apartments for my hopeful retirement towards the end of 2014.

Whilst you are in CM it would be great to meet up for a drink as no doubt we both will be able to learn something off each other.

Also on this forum, you will gain a great deal of information, as it has been a great help for my plans up to now.

Howie

Richard:

I've been living in Chiang Mai for eight years, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

jon

Hi Howie2, I'm still in the planning stage and will let you know what dates and where I'll be staying.  If you know of a cheap/clean/and quiet place please let me know. 
Richard

Thanks Jon, I have been getting good info from the blog and other postings already.  Couple of questions I have are:
1. Is there a bank that is better for US expats? ie..depositing your SSI checks and access to your money in both the US & Thailand.
2. Is there a place where you and your friends hang out? I know that most of my questions will arise when I get there and it's good to get feedback in person.
Thanks again and have a good day,
Richard

Richard,

Re: Banks.

I live in CM 6-9 months each year and in the USA the other part of the year.  So, I need banks in both countries.

I have had good luck with Bangkok Bank and Wells Fargo in the USA. 

Checks are automatically deposited and bills paid in the USA electronically through Wells Fargo or AMEX.  Transferring dollars to my Bangkok Bank account is also done electronically from my laptop.  Wells Fargo does transfers up to several thousand dollars for a $3 flat fee, using the non-expedited rate which takes about 5 business days.  Bangkok Bank uses a slightly less favorable exchange rate, so there's a small cost there too.  But, overall the system has worked very well for me for the past 5 years. 

Good luck.

John

Thanks for the info John. I believe we only have Wells Fargo Mortgage here in Hawaii. I used to bank with them when I lived in Cali.  I plan to visit my girls this fall and will check it out. Thanks again
Richard

There are lots of us with lots of different pieces of information about living in CM. My special interests are the unglamorous things like visas, pre-nups, bank managers, hospitals, dentists. I'm more of an infrastructure guy. Feel free to contact me, too.

Richard,

The US bank is not that important.  I like Bangkok Bank because they have a New York branch, and if I understand the process correctly, money from my US account is transferred to the NY branch of Bangkok Bank and from there to my Chiang Mai branch of Bangkok Bank. So, from my US Bank's perspective, this is a domestic transfer.  I'm not sure if this works as well with other Thai banks without offices in the USA.

Good luck,

John

Richard:

1.) Is there a bank that is better for US expats? ie..depositing your SSI checks and access to your money in both the US & Thailand.

>>> Like John, I use Bangkok Bank (the largest bank in Thailand), and I've been very happy with them. 

My kid is on my U.S. bank account, and I have him go in once a year to 'bump up' my Thai account. Piece of cake.

2)Is there a place where you and your friends hang out? I know that most of my questions will arise when I get there and it's good to get feedback in person.

I'm not a drinker, so I usually meet my buds at Starbucks, or somewhere for lunch or dinner.

There's also a very large,and quite active, expats club in Chiang Mai.

http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/

~
jon

Thanks Godfree, It's all good stuff when you're a newbie.  Plus that is the kind of things that will make or break your quality of life overseas.  Richard

Sbhawaiian

In relation to somewhere to stay, all I did was go on Tripadvisor and it will bring up hundreds of B&Bs. I always like somewhere that's got at least 4 rating but basic, I also tend to stay in the old town, but everyone has their favourite area of CM

Howie

Welcome to Chiang Mai

hello sbhawaiian

Nice to meet you in Chiang Mai forum.In fact, Chiang Mai is the capital city of retire.
Here has really good health care and great food plus low cost of living , I bet once you came here you would love here.

Welcome to the Chiang Mai forum .

[Moderated: can you please post in the housing section]

Hi Jon, I will be arriving in C.M. on 11/30/13 and will be here for a week.  I have 3 goals: 1. check out the area. 2. look at housing prices. 3. Talk to as many expats like you for info.  I would like to be able to meet some of the gang to get their take on living in C.M. Do you guys have regular gatherings? How should I go about checking out housing and prices for one who does not know the area?
My plan is to scout it out and get a feel for the place. If I like it I plan to come over again next year and stay a month to get a better feel of day to day living.
Thank you, Ricky

Ricky:

Unfortunately you'll be a week late for the expats club meeting, but possibly the following year will work?

chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/

~~~
There are MANY venues here where people like to meet up with friends: coffee shops, restaurants, bars, etc, etc; It simply depends on what you like.

jon

If you can recommend a couple of places to check out I'll give them a try.  I think I'll be staying in the old city area. I've been trying to contact the SK House2 but not having much luck.

As for looking at housing, how do you think I should go about it? Will a realty co. show me around on what they have for rent?

Well thank you very much the info. Hope to see you when I get there. 
Ricky

A post (with link to a realty outfit) I wrote on 'Living in the Land of Smile' might(??)be helpful:

seattle99.wordpress.com/2013/07/29/having-trouble-streching-your-social-securitypension-well-hell-move-to-chiang-mai/

That is a really nice place. No way you can get anything that cheap here on Maui. 

I have been trying to contact the SK House2 via there web site and hotmail account to no avail.  If I give you the phone # and my info. would be willing to call and try and make the reservation for me? Thank you Ricky

[moderated: no free ad on the forum. Please use the housing sction.]

Hull I am also looking to retire Nov. 2014 I will visit Chiang Mai on January 2014 to make a decision I have been in Thailand 4 time but not in Chiang Mai I am from Chile live in Australia for 33 year
still working I get no answer from Expats in Chiang Mai may be you are lucky
Rene
E mail: [email protected]

Hi Richard,
I am getting married in Hawaii in Oct and then we plan to move to Chiang Mai in Nov/Dec.  Maybe we can get some insights from what you have found out already. My new bride Juli has been in Honolulu for the last 10 months. I am flying in on Oct 15 and we will get married right away. Wouls be nice to start out with some new friends in a similar scenario re: being new to Chiang Mai

Thanks,
Tony

Richard
If you are still visiting Chiang Mai beginning of December I am there then as I am staying for December and some of January, if we keep in touch we could maybe meet one evening and although I don't live there yet I know a little, anyway we could swop what we have learnt, also anyone else who is just starting out /already living in Chiang Mai.
Howie

seattle99 wrote:

Richard:

I've been living in Chiang Mai for eight years, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

jon

Jon.....we are from Texas, US. We plan to visit Viet Nam (Ho Chi Minh City) in Nov. 2. We plan to fly from HCMC to BKK (Nov. 12 - 17) and are wondering if you can meet with us and talk to us.  We have NEVER been to Thai Land. We want to know how to get from BKK to Chang Mai? What is the best way to get there?  Where do recommend we stay (we like QUIET AND PEACEFUL area).

Language:  Is English WIDELY SPOKEN there?  How do you get around?  How about exchange money? We just need to see what Chang Mai is like because we are thinking of retiring there.

Would appreciate your insight.
Tien & Thuy

Hi,
This is Tony. I am getting married just before we come to Chiang Mai. It has been suggested that my wife apply for a non immigrant single entry O visa before we come. And that I come without a visa and then apply for an O retirement visa and then she can change hers to be attached to mine.  I do have some concerns. One is the requirement to gave a return plane ticket. Another is that my retirement income just starts about the time we get there and that it is a little short of the $2100 per month required.  She can get a job pretty quickly if need be I would imagine as she already teaches English (ESL) in Hawaii now. I actually plan on getting certified there at a school but did not want to start until February or March.  And I am looking at putting a deposit on a serviced apartment at The Loft Residence 30 Soi 4,
Hussadhisawee Road. Is that place OK or would you uiggest something else?  Thanks for your help
Tony & Juli

Hey Man,
Juli and I are getting married in Waikiki Oct 21 and the plan is to leave for Chiang Mai Nov 15.  let us know if you're heading that way at the same time

Tony

Hey ARB51,
Tried to answer your post yesterday but internet kept crapping out. I'm in chiangmai. been here 3 weeks now. living at galare thong tower condo's. Suppose to sign papers tomorrow for a medium sized condo at $282 a month. if I can be of any help contact me personally and I'll send ya some relator links.
Mike

Q: Language: Is English WIDELY SPOKEN there? 

A: No, not really, but you quickly learn to get by. Plus, there are many expats living in Chiang Mai to talk to.

~

Q: How do you get around? 

A: A post I wrote on "living in the 'Land of Smiles'", I think it should help to explain the many options.

http://seattle99.wordpress.com/2009/05/ … ound-town/

~
Q: How about exchange money?

When I got here I used my American bank, via ATM's.

After awhile, I opened a Bangkok Bank, and their ATM for cash, and to pay my rent, etc, etc.

There are no fees, and I find it works great.

~

We just need to see what Chang Mai is like because we are thinking of retiring there.

>>> ABSOLUTELY, I mean it's the ONLY way to go! <<<

jon