General advice

We are a family of 4. Children's age 4 and 6 years old. We are looking to move from the UK to Malta. We haven't decided on location- we are going to visit next year
My husband has he's own locksmith business in the UK but willing to start from scratch.
I'm training to be an accounts technician

My questions

Which area has the best state school?
Can I apply for Malta jobs from UK?
How hard is it to find work?

Expats  who have moved. I would really love to hear about your experiences. Both positive and negative. Is it what you expected?

Visit first as you may not like small island life.
You can apply for jobs but don't expect any sensible replies, you really need to be here.
Jobs are available but will in general be low paid unless you have a particular skill or speak Maltese.
Can't answer about schools but the first language in state schools is Maltese then English.

Plenty of helpful stuff on the forum, look at the headings at the top about, healthcare, education, jobs etc..

Good luck,

Terry

Hi Ghislane ,

welcome to the forum.

You will find a lot of information in the various sections.

Why are you looking to move to Malta? In the jobs you quote (Locksmith willing to start from scratch) and accounting technician you will find it difficult to find well paid jobs and it will be nearly impossible to secure a job in Malta from the UK.

Certified accountants are in high demand but often need to speak Maltese unless they work for an international company. Assistants and technicians will earn a lot less especially if you are in training and not experienced yet.

Maltese is the language of Malta with English being a second official language but Maltese will nearly always talk in Maltese amongst themselves which can make things very difficult for non-Maltese speakers.

I wish you luck and the right decision.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you for your replies.

I am planning on getting 1 years experience before we take the plunge in moving.

I did think it was going to be impossible to get a job prior to moving. But thought I'd still enquire. 
Our reason for wanting to move is to be able to spend more time as a family, the education is better then where my children are and of course the climate.  I do have a friend who moved there 18months ago, with her young family. She loves it. But she did have a job. so I have had a lot of information from her. But I'd Like to get other views and opinions.

This is the link to the ETC website and lists jobs currently available, may get you up to speed with the type of jobs on offer.

https://secure.etc.gov.mt/Jobseeker/Job … earch.aspx

Terry

Thank you Terry,

I've had a look at the job vacancies there were some jobs that i met the requirements for.  So that was reassuring.