Places to visit in Mombasa

Hi,

For the ones living in Mombasa, what would you suggest to discover the region?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Mombasa, the tourist sites?

How to visit the region in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days or for a week of holidays in Mombasa?

Thank you in advance for participating ;)

Julie

Hello Julie,

I live in Mombasa and depending on what type of holiday you're looking for and your budget you can experience as much as you like.

Main places which are a must go are Old Town and Fort Jesus. You get to buy stuff and see the swahili culture here.

At sunset the best place to go is lighthouse (preferably in a car). it's really beautiful depending on what side you're on.

Obviously there's the beach. You can go to nyali beach- they have a great spa there.

Travel to Malindi, Lamu and Diani. A lot of people go to Lamu even if its for one night. My family loved going there.

The markets in town.

These are just some that i can think of right now.

Hi Julie,
Been at Mombasa you can visit different places,to begin with there is Fort Jesus and the rest of the Old town,the Tusks within the city and among all the most beautiful and complex Indian mosque within the town which is a must.
Yu can as well as take your time and visit our beautiful beaches where you can do some activities around the beach like playing football and volleyball,you can also do diving and snorkling etc....

It's not exactly in Mombasa, but I'd highly recommend Kisite Marine Park, maybe combined with Shimba Hills National Reserve.  See kisite-mpungutimarinepark.kbo.co.ke
I love it so much that I regularly endure the trip from the North Coast and that horrible ferry queue.