The nightlife scene in Kenya

Hello,

Having access to a good nightlife scene can be a determining factor for many expats upon choosing their next destination. Tell us more about the nightlife in Kenya.

In Kenya, what is the nighlife culture like: is it common for people to go out at night? Is there a big difference between the nightlife during the weekdays and weekends?

What are the most popular evening or nighttime activities (e.g. bars, nightclubs, shows, cultural activities, etc.)?

Is it safe to venture out in the evening and at night in Kenya?

Is there anything in particular that surprised you about the nightlife in Kenya?

Are there any apps or websites (or any other resources) that would help in staying informed about evening and nighttime activities?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I didn't go to the main highlights in Westlands and years ago I saw DJ Red Sans in Mombasa but there were seedy old white guys and young pole dancer Africans there so I hated prostitution being mixed with good music.  Mombasa has too many hookers and old white guys with very young African girlfriends which turns my stomach - so I prefer to stay local and lower class away from that. 

In Kakamega the  clubs have some prostitutes or uni students but really must be sex workers as how considering most Kenyan women are modest and very discreet would be humping the floor and bend over and shake their backside until some seedy man young or older comes and "humps" her from behind... I don't want to see that out..
So my nightlife is more local traditional band playing stuff or certain restaurant bars where that sort of stuff is not present.  Skydome in Eastlands Nairobi was alright... A lot of Kenyans don't drink or do clubs so we hang out at home.