Good optician in South/Central area ?

Hi community,

can anyone recommend a good optician in South or Central areas of Malta? I mean a shop run by skilled opticians not only sales staff.

I want to buy photochromic glasses of good quality which really provide the correct strength of lenses ...

Thanks !

Markus

matm911 wrote:

Hi community,

can anyone recommend a good optician in South or Central areas of Malta? I mean a shop run by skilled opticians not only sales staff.

I want to buy photochromic glasses of good quality which really provide the correct strength of lenses ...

Thanks !

Markus

Hi Markus

May be teaching you to 'suck eggs' but have you looked on-line.  My lad swears by it (and I've even bought a pair of prescription sunglasses on-line)........has his prescription checks on-line (there are a few that he is happy with) and orders them.  I'm sure a quick e-mail to the company could check whether they are prepared to send to Malta. With business tight these days I'm sure someone would accommodate you.

Mike

Have u considered buying them online? Generally much cheaper.

So, now after some try-and-error I found one very good optician and 3 which I cannot recommend at all.
First, if you do not know your lens prescription data, you should always make an appointment for an eye test with a doctor. The tests carried out from the (consistently poorly educated) sales staff are good for nothing ...

MENRAD Eyewear in San Gwann is TOP. :)
The sales staff is competent, they have all quality levels of frames and also the lenses are of good quality.
It takes 3-5 days till the glasses are ready-

TANTI Opticians in Valletta was worst.:(
First the eye test was not done right, then the saleslady's handwritten data for the lenses were unclear for the technician, who - instead of checking back - made his own interpretation which resulted in wrong lenses (wrong strength and wrong cylinder). After the second attempt I got progressive (!!!) lenses with wrong pupils distance ... :rolleyes:
Both times the glasses were handed over to me with very dirty lenses full of fingerprints and it lasted always almost 2 weeks.