Working in Malta & going back home to see your family

I would like to hear stories about EU migrants who have been working in Malta but sometimes need to go back home to see their family.

(1) How is it done ? Have been checking easyJet prices and at 250 euros or more it is not cheap.

(2) Is it impossible for migrants who are on low-paid job. Probably, a once in 6 months effort ?

(3) Has anyone managed doing it when there are Maltese bank holidays ? Is it worth it ? Going on the Fri evening / Sat morning and assuming Monday is a holiday coming back on Mon evening to start work Tuesday ?

(4) Also why is it so difficult to get a 6 month contract so that you can try out what it is to live here ? Because landlord lets seem to be always only 6 months minimum. Most often than not employers expect you to take up permanent jobs ? How do your'll get around that when you have to go home ? Resign !!?!

Would be interested if one can share some views on the above

hcpa wrote:

Resign !!?!

why not ?

may I ask on e thing ...

Why work in Malta and have your family in the UK ??

Why not look for work in France as its easier to get back and forth through the tunnel

J.

Maybe, If you were in Nice which is similar to  Malta in climate. It would still mean trying to get a contract which so far I have not seen yet.

malta public holidays can fall on any day of the week!!!! its not like the UK - and if it falls on a saturday or a sunday you dont get the day off on monday its just bad luck.

hcpa wrote:

Maybe, If you were in Nice which is similar to  Malta in climate. It would still mean trying to get a contract which so far I have not seen yet.

Weather in Malta is definitely nicer than in Nice, especially in Oct-May.

And it is very expensive to live in Nice, almost impossible if you are doing a low-wage job.

Thanks toonarmy and miko for enlightening me further. I would never have known that renting is expensive in Nice - though my feeling is that Oct-May in Nice is many more times much better than UK and I definitely did not know that they dont adjust for public/feast Maltese holidays falling on Sat or Sun.

So, am I to understand it is definitely not like working in Holland or Luxembourg where you can just about fly back every 2nd w/e given that it is not Christmas where I heard the flight prices just rocket.

So, the bottom line I guess - you have to stick out a minimum for a year and expect to go back home after planning with these holidays that might hopefully fall on a Mon or Fri to get a long weekend back in the UK. Unless, you are lucky to have a 50K euro salary in Malta which presumably you have to be top guy (in IT that is) to demand such a wage.

many people fly back "home" for short stay visits, but most look for the extremely cheap "red eye" flights.... its all down to planning

hi hopa

Ryanair fly to Malta and are cheaper then easyjet, but again it is hit and miss if the cheap flights are when you need them. I have found if you check about two months before  flight date best price but not always and someone I know has found doing a connecting flight often cheaper that a direct, but that will eat into your time at home.

Elise

You would have holidays due to you so you can always look for a flight and book your holidays around the flight.

Still my question is why do you want to live in Malta without your family ?

trying to asertain whether your family would come out after??

are you just looking to work somewhere warm??

Julian

Julian

I cannot bring my family here because it would be irresponsible. Before asking my wife to give up her stable job when I am just starting work over here would be crazy. Plus, my son goes to good school by UK standards. So, I would have to establish myself over here first.

However, being without work for some time cause all IT dev work in the UK is largely outsourced and .... Yes, of course it is the sun light which I know will come back to haunt me as soon as autumn arrives - despite UK having their first real summer after more than 7 years.

Possibly once when I have got a job, passed probation & managed to send some money home. I could begin to start thinking of the next steps.

But, I guess the biggest "thought" hurdle to overcome is how to cope if you are alone in Malta.

Dev work in Malta is easy to come by dependnig on yuor speciality.  The way of life here is very slow compared to the UK also.

Easiest way for you is to get in with the Likes of Crimsonwing or 6pm.  I will pm you the contacts for 6pm.  The reason I say these 2 companies is that they have work in and around London also, so you will be based in Malta but working uk possibly.  Worth trying for i suppose.

Let me know you speciality as there is lots of work at the moment for Java and sql devs.

Julian

I am a Java Analyst Developer several years of IT experience in the retail banking,payments & financial accounting. But, I am definitely open to other business domains like digital media & advertising, travel & tourism which presumably is what Malta currently would have. Not really fussed what it is really.

Can work anywhere within the EU region.

Core skills are Java, Spring, JSPs, Servlets, XML, jaxB, HTML, Javascript, CSS, MySql, Oracle SQL, Unix scripting.

Soft skills are analysis, requirement gathering, defect resolution, design, development & prototyping. Has web development experience.

In short - I am a mid level skilled Java developer who would be in a position to work independently and is aware of the requirements and standards expected in a professionally run IT shop.

6pm currently has no vacancies in Malta & crimsonWing looks like they are a microsoft asp, .net shop.