Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

Tnk u james, how about the termo of responsabilidade, when it reach the consulate does it keep expiring there? We know how they are good frauding logic

It should be worded something like.... that the person will be financially responsible for you during your entire stay in Brazil. That way it shouldn't expire.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Truth be told it's usually the weather and the woman that draws people from developed countries here......I'm not from a developed country though

well said stevefunk  :D  .....

Tnk U

Remember , our first world friends have got the strength of the Dollar , the Euro and the Pound.
I believe with that kind of Money you can "Live like a pimp down there in Rio de Janeiro".....or at least that's what they tell me :)

what an extremely racist coment, ppl or women aren't all starving or desperate to go to developed countries here, u r generalizing upon stereotypes. There are many ppl here in better conditions than many north-americans.

Hello everyone,

The forum is here to encourage mutual help, respect and conviviality.

I invite you all to stick to the initial topic and avoid going off topic or arguments please.

Thank You,
Best Regards,
Naomi.

I completed the marriage and visa process following James' advice here and it was very simple. So if you are starting along the road to do this, do not fear! At least do not fear if you are doing it in Curitiba, I can't speak for anywhere else. Thanks for all the information James.

Hi James,
I want to get married in Brazil to my girlfriend, i have 2 months left on my visa but i do not have my birth certificate with me.
what is the best way of going about starting the process?

Many thanks

Kris

can you extend your present visa,
i do know of a guy that extended his tourist visa 2 times, so he was here 9 mouths

Hi,

I don't think i can when i went last time they checked and the most was for 6 months as i am from the uk

Hi there, well the guy i was talking about was from the UK as well

Hi Kris,

If you're able to extend your visa for an additional 90 days then it will be possible if you can have a family member apply for your (long form) Birth Certificate back home and have it legalized by the Consulado-Geral in the UK. If you are travelling on a UK passport then you are allowed to extend the visa stay in order to get 180 consecutive days in Brazil.

Once you get it back here in Brazil you need to have it translated to Portuguese by a sworn translator here. The documents you will require for the marriage are listed in the first posting on this topic thread. The Certified Criminal Record Check is no longer require provided that you have no previous convictions. It has been replaced with a sworn declaration that the Federal Police will provide you.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thank you for the help and quick response.
Another question, sorry
What if i do have my birth certificate , is there any way i can get it legalized here in brazil ?

Thank you again for all your help

also can i add you on the contact bit at the top?

one more thing sorry some one has tried to add me from kabul saying he can give info should i add or not ?

Thanks again

Hi Kris,

Sorry but no, the Birth Certificate (original, long form) must be legalized by the Consulado-Geral in the country where it was issued. It must also be authenticated (stamped) by your Consulate here in Brazil. As far as I know they'll accept documents by courier and return them by the same courier company if you enclose a pre-paid envelope. That's what I'd recommend.

Regarding contacts offering assistance, or seeking it, I would be extremely cautious. No matter how hard we try, there will always be scammers watching our forums.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Sorry i just forgot to ask you what documents should I submit to apply for Cart.de Trabalho and Permanent residence after the official marriage in Brazil.
Jim

Jimkey19 wrote:

Sorry i just forgot to ask you what documents should I submit to apply for Cart.de Trabalho and Permanent residence after the official marriage in Brazil.
Jim

Documents Required for VIPER Permanent Visa Application

1.     Completed application form, signed by the applicant.

2.     Clear and legible Certified copy of applicant's passport (ALL PAGES - even if blank) or equivalent travel document.

3.     Clear and legible Certified copy of applicant's Entry Card.

4.     Certified Criminal Record Check / Police Conduct Certificate issued in country where you reside, may not be more than 90 days before sumbission or not considered valid. This document must also be "legalized" by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the country of issue.

5.     2  3 cm X 4 cm color photographs of applicant (on white background) Note: sunglasses or eyeglasses which might reflect light/flash must not be worn in these photos

6.     International certificate of vaccination (if requested)

7.     Clear and legible Certified Copy of Birth Certificate (if requested) or Marriage Certificate in the case of married women.

8.     Proof of address (in Brazil) - phone/electric/water bill

9.     Bank receipt for payment of visa fee (GRU - Guia de Recolhimento da União)

10.    Any other documents that may be requested by the Federal Police.

NOTE #1:  If you are required to provide any kind of DECLARATION, these must be have the signature of the declarant certified by the Cartório (Reconhecimento da firma por autenticidade - ONLY; note that there are two different kinds of "reconhecimento" so make sure you specify the right one, this is also the more expensive of the two types, the declarant must appear in person at the Cartório and produce identification).

If you have a previous criminal conviction then you must provide #4 on the above list. If you have no previous criminal convictions then you don't need it, the Federal Police will provide you with a sworn declaration form that you have no convictions and are not subject to any pending charges.

Regarding the Carteira de Trabalho, you need first to obtain permanency then you present your protocol and the Federal Police will probably give you a paper stating that you have permission to apply for the Carteira. You will need to apply for your CPF number first, and then take those, your Marriage Certificate and two 3X4 color photos to the Superintendência Regional do Ministério de Trabalho e Empregos in the city where you reside (or that serves your city) to apply for the Carteira.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

I really appreciate your answer James!

A quick question
My wife is Brazilian .She has been pregnant for 3 months .If i choose to apply for the permant visa and cart.De Trabalho what documents will i have to submit? Durationwise will it be easier and shorter? What would you advise?

It will make absolutely no difference, time wise, whether you apply for permanency based on marriage or based on the Brazilian child. Provided that all the required documents are present and in order permanency is granted on the same day you apply.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thank you very very much James.It has been very helpful.👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I can't recall seeing this directly answered before so here goes.

I'll be traveling to Rio in early February. I want to go to the Federal Police to submit my paperwork for permanent visa through marriages. However there are no appointments until March and the earliest I'll be back in Brazil after Feb 14 is April.

Is it possible to get a walk in appointment (on my birthday no less)? Will they do that? Does anyone have experience waking in? What are my chances. Or just wait until I can schedule an appointment in April :-/

Hi philmoto85
I can answer you about florianopolis policia federal
Over here those who do not have appointment and want to proceed faster goes to the policia federal early in the morning lets say 3 am and get in line . If they are lucky there documents will be taken the very same day or else they have to get in line the next day
Good luck
Hashim

Hi Phil,

As far as I am aware Rio operates on an appointment only basis. The only time they would accept someone without an appointment would be if the first available appointment (that they must have printed off) would put them beyond their visa stay and couldn't be renewed.

You can try to phone them and see if they do handle walk-in applications.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Hello sir James. Thank you for providing very helpful informations !
But im still having some doubts here and hopefully can get a response from us ASAP:
- Can u tell me where should all the documents get translated into Portuguese ? ( in the country issued or in Brazil)
- By the Law of Viet Nam i cant get a new Birth certificate. So that the point of having it 180 days prior the marriage procedures is IMPOSSIBLE. All that i have now is the TRUE COPY one with the authentication of my country Department of Consulate. What can do now then?
- All the copies that will be required later to submit in the Marriage procedure and Applying permanent visa, do they need to be sealed or stamped or prepared well in my home country in advance?

I hope to hear from u soon !
Best regards!

Hello sir James. Thank you for providing very helpful informations !
But im still having some doubts here and hopefully can get a response from us ASAP:
- Can u tell me where should all the documents get translated into Portuguese ? ( in the country issued or in Brazil)
- By the Law of Viet Nam i cant get a new Birth certificate. So that the point of having it 180 days prior the marriage procedures is IMPOSSIBLE. All that i have now is the TRUE COPY one with the authentication of my country Department of Consulate. What can do now then?
- All the copies that will be required later to submit in the Marriage procedure and Applying permanent visa, do they need to be sealed or stamped or prepared well in my home country in advance?

I hope to hear from u soon !
Best regards!

Hello,

Actually many nations only issue Certified Copies instead of original Birth Certificates now, that's not unusual. To satisfy the law here the document must be ISSUED within the 180 days prior to being submitted to the Consulado-Geral do Brasil for legalization.

So, apply for a new "true copy", it will show an ISSUE DATE, and you get it legalized by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Vietnam before 180 days.

Regarding translation, it is supposed to be done here in Brazil by a sworn translator (tradutor juramentado). It may be almost impossible to find anyone who can translate into Vietnamese here in Brazil, so you are probably going to have to get the translation done by the Vietnam Consulate-General in Brazil, if they can't refer you to a translator.

The documents that must be legalized by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the country where they are issued are:

1. Birth Certificate (long form)
2. Certified Criminal Record Check (if required)

Note: The Birth Certificate, and any Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate or Divorce Decree (if previously married) would also need to be authenticated/stamped either by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in your homeland, or by your Consulate here in Brazil.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Dear Mr James. Just for being more sure, in my case, with an years ago issued Original Birth Cert, i will bring the true copy with both legalization that is needed as u said. But do i have to also bring the " over dated" original one with me too?

You need to order a new "true copy" from your government's Department of Vital Statistics or whatever body issues those documents. It must be less than 180 days from issue when you submit it to the Consulado-Geral of Brazil in your country for legalization. After it has been legalized it must also be authenticated, either by Foreign Affairs in your country OR by your country's Consulate here in Brazil. It also must be translated by a sworn translator (tradutor juramentado) in Brazil.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Dear James,

Thank you very much for your helpful post. I have multiple questions and hope you can help! I am a British Citizen, who was born in Spain, and want to get married to my Brazilian fiancé. She lives in Iporanga which is in the south of the state of Sao Paulo, very rural and remote area. We met while I have been here in Brazil on a tourist visa. I am currently on the "2nd term" of my visa (so I stayed in Brazil for 3 months, left to Ecuador for a month, and have been back in Brazil for the last 2 weeks). We decided to get married and now I am trying to sort the paperwork out. Ok so:

1) I cant find my Spanish Birth Certificate. I am already applying for a new one. If I understood correctly, I not only need the certificate itself but I need the Consulado-Geral in Spain to legalize it before it comes to Brasil and then I would get it authenticated at the Spanish Consulate in Brasil and then translate it. Ok, so first, there is no way to get the people who send me the Birth Certificate in Spain to automatically legalize it so it doesn't have to go back and forward? I am in Brazil right now which means if I sent it me here it would take ages to process, send from spain to here, then send it back to get the consulado in Spain to legalize it and then send it again. If not, I see nowhere that I need to be physically present in Spain at any point for this so could I get them to send it to my family in England who will then forward it to the consulate in Spain and then have it sent to me in Brazil?

2) For the CNI, you say "must be legalized in country of issue". There is no way for me to get this done at the British Consulate in Sao Paulo? I have seen other blogs where people got this from the consulate and it was already in Portuguese so didn't even need translating. Is this not true? If I need to get it legalized in my country of issue will I need to physically return to the UK?

3) As I mentioned, my fiancé lives in a remote area of Sao Paulo. Is it required to use the cartorio nearest to her home address or could she come with me to stay in the city of Sao Paulo for a few months at a hotel and use a cartorio in the city?

4) If I run out of time on my tourist visa can my wife handle all the paperwork for me? Take documents to get authenticated, translated etc in Brazil? Moreover, if I have to go because my tourist visa runs out, will I have to wait 6 months to come back on another tourist visa to brazil to finish the process?

Sorry for the length of this! Thank you in advance for any support you could provide!

Hello ImranViroomal,

1.  You are correct, you need the Birth Certificate (long form) and it must be legalized by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Spain and also authenticated by the Spanish Consulate here in Brazil. I really doubt that you can arrange for them to send it to the Consulate, but I'm sure if you have family in the UK it certainly will be quicker to send it to them and they can send it to forward it to the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Spain. That would certainly be much quicker than trying to send it to you here. The Consulado would be able to send the legalized documents to you here.

2.  By CNI do you mean Certificate of No Impediment (to marriage)??? That does not require legalization by the Consulado, so yes you can have it issued by the British Consulate here. If they will issue it in Portugese the so much the better.

3.  It is traditional for marriages to take place in the Cartório where the Brazilian spouse resides, but not absolutely necessary. My, now ex-wife and I resided in Bahia when we married, but got married in São Paulo. Your fiancee will need to find out how to do that, I didn't handle the arrangements for my marriage a lawyer did it, so I can't really tell you how to go about it.

4.  Even if you can get all the paperwork together in time, you still couldn't possibly get through the "Habilitação de Casamento" process and get married in what little time you have left. The "Habilitação" takes at least 30 days itself.

That would leave you with two options if you got the paperwork together before you leave. First would be for you both to go to the Cartório before you leave and arrange for a Proxy Marriage (Casamento por Procuração). You would sign all the papers and appoint the proxy (procurador) who would stand in for you and sign all the documents at the wedding. Then you could apply in the UK for your VIPER Permanent Visa or do it here when you next returned as a tourist.

Your second option would be to get the paperwork ready and then wait until you return for a traditional marriage here.

If you've entered using a UK passport the wording of the VWP agreement is 3 months in a 6 month period but allows for extention so you can have 180 consecutive days. Once you've left you'd actually only need to be out of Brazil for 3 months in order to return for 90 days, but you wouldn't likely get an extention of that initial 90 day since it would put you over the 180 day yearly limit. If you had all the documents ready, nothing was missing or out of order and you submitted them to the Cartório immediately following your arrival you most likely could get through the marriage process in that 90 day period without too many problems. Once married, legally, you wouldn't really need to worry about your visa status because the Federal Police are required to accept your permanency application regardless of visa status for anyone married to a Brazilian citizen or who has a Brazilian born child. So it wouldn't be necessary to leave Brazil if you couldn't immediately apply for permanency.

Hope this is of help to you, and answers your questions to your satisfaction.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thank you soooo much for the advice James, you are a life saver! I hope you do not mind a couple of follow up questions!

1) When I asked about the CNI (yes, I meant the No Impediment). When you stated "If you are single and never married before you need a Declaration from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in your home country) that you are single. This must be "legalized" by the Consulado-Geral (in country of issue)" is this referring to the CNI or is this something else then?

2) Does overstaying the tourist visa to complete the process in anyway jeopordize the marriage, ability to get a permenant visa, get a job or leave the country/come back? I am not asking you to recommend it, I am just asking whether legally it would have any impact on me? Is there no way to prove to them that I am in the process of getting married and therefore request an extension?

3) I seem to recall that you mention that the permenant visa can take up to two years. I was told by the British Consulate that once I am married, I can get my permenant visa in 5 working days in the UK. Am I missing something here? Would there by anything I need to do after I got the permenant visa in the UK? Is there really such a difference in waiting time because of bureaucracy differences?

Once again, thank you for your help James!

3) I seem to recall that you mention that the permenant visa can take up to two years. I was told by the British Consulate that once I am married, I can get my permenant visa in 5 working days in the UK. Am I missing something here? Would there by anything I need to do after I got the permenant visa in the UK? Is there really such a difference in waiting time because of bureaucracy differences?

The system in Brazil has changed in the last year and a half and you now get your Visa on the spot as your permanency is processed and accepted.

I got my Visa outside of Brazil , it took about 3 weeks from the application to arrive and the good thing was I did not need any of the translations or legalization of the documents . I just handed all my original documents in at the consul in South Africa where they entered the info onto there system and did all of the Legalizing and translation was not necessary.....this is definitely the easiest way to go about it if you have the luxury of returning to the UK to get married and hanging around there til your Visa arrives.

Steve,

Under the old procedures (before Sept. 1, 2014) it did take up to 2 years and sometimes even longer here in Brazil. For example, I finally got my permanency after 5 years of battling the system and 2 different processes, even though I had a Brazilian wife and child. Things have improved a thousandfold since then.

Here in Brazil if the documents are all in order permanency based on marriage, stable union or Brazilian child is granted same day. With Consulados abroad, it can take longer since it's not the staff at the Consulado who makes the decision, that's done back here in Brazil at the Ministry of Justice. The timeframe is different at all of the Consulados.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Hi james
Thanks for your post i have one question if you can help me with it ,my one friend he apply for asylum here in Brasil, now he want to get married can he do it ?and if yes can you guide me what document he need to do this 

Thanks
Faheem

Hello bridgingtrade,

Yes your friend can get married. The documents necessary for marriage are listed in the very first posting on this topic thread (and repeated at the top of each of the topic's pages), just scroll up to the top of this page.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Note: my husb applied for a family visa in his country wt a new and empty passport; since he answered he has been in Brazil b4, the consulated asked a copy of the visa in the older passport. Never heard of such thing, they r making it complicated for marriage visa even, is it USA?

Hello! I will have a question, I hope you know the answer. I got married a Brazilian in june 2014 and I have my official permanent visa since january 2015. I believe I can already apply for citizenship considering that I had my permanent visa for one year. What do I need to do and where to apply for citizenship?

For Ordinary Naturalization the waiting period is 4 years (married to Brazilian or Brazilian child 1 year) from date permanency granted.

Basic qualifications:  report and justify any absences from Brazil (probably absences longer than 90 days may delay qualification);
Certified criminal record check
Consular Inscription
Proof of fluency in Portuguese language
Proof of income and means of support

More information - Naturalização Ordinária:  http://www.justica.gov.br/central-de-at … ionalidade

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team