Salary Expectations

Hi all,
We are a family of three including one toddler who are looking to move to Oxford. At the moment my wife is not working so we are dependent on single income. I have an offer of a job with £30000 approx salary. I have heard Oxford is an expensive place. Could anyone give me an idea what kind of standard of living can i expect from such a salary based on following:

renting a minimum 2 bedroom house in suburb
cost of creche
no car

any other views that you have.
thanks in advance

Hi oxfordrain,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Hope you will get average cost in oxford soon.

Regards,

David.

Hi there!

I haven't actually lived in oxford, but I have friends there and have spent a little time there myself.

I would say prices are comparable to my home town in Surrey - so fairly expensive, but not as expensive as London. You are probably looking to pay around 1200-1500 pounds a month for a 2 bed house, depending of the property and the location.

From my own experience of paying for childcare, I would say estimate 5-8pounds per hour for a childminder. Costs of crèches vary...but for a full time nursery place for my 1 year old, I was paying around 850pounds per month (this was about 2 years ago)

If your wife is not working, then I think you will find it difficult to survive on a 30k salary. If that is a gross salary, you are looking to clear just over 2000pounds per month.

This is around what I was getting...but I found it very difficult, so I decided to move away from the UK, so that I can have a bit of a life

If your wife can get even a part time position, then you may just be able to get by

That said, Oxford is lovely, so I would encourage you to explore all avenues.

Hi experiment,

Thank you for your contribution :)

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi,

I moved to Oxford from Belgium couple of months ago so still afresh memories of getting settled in.

You can have 2 bedroom flats in city for about 900-1100 (I am paying 895, in the city). But if you go to suburb if you have to car/bus, then it should get bit more cheaper. This is relatively an expensive city. With that salary with person person earning, you would be able to live, enjoy and survive but not save. But your stay in city may be enriching depending your area of work.

All the best,
Satyan...
[email protected]