Catnip anti mosquito.

Now this could be fun, especially on Malta.

Catnip is a natural mosquito repellent. In August 2010, entomologists at Iowa State University reported to the American Chemical Society that catnip is ten times more effective than DEET, the chemical found in most commercial insect repellents. According to Iowa State researcher Chris Peterson, the reason for its effectiveness is still unknown. “It might simply be acting as an irritant or they don't like the smell. But nobody really knows why insect repellents work.”

Other hints here: http://eartheasy.com/blog/2011/04/5-eas … ng-plants/

We may grow some in pots on the balconies.

expect a rise in cat attacks though......lol

our two year old rescue cat (had him since 6 weeks old) goes bonkers for it...

blooming feeling the heat now he is - poor begger - and you know he never used to drink any water but now since the heat is now on he has started to do so.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

expect a rise in cat attacks though......lol

our two year old goes bonkers for it...

Hence my preamble....could be fun especially on Malta.
Given the very high cat population.
:)

Hi,
sorry for pulling this old thread back up, but I was searching for catnip and thought maybe you know where in malta to buy it.
Preferably it shouldn't be a petshop and the original "Nepeta cataria".

Since I live 3rd level, cats shouldn't be a problem, I hope ;). Main aim is to repel cockroaches, side effects are welcomed ;).

Oh my gosh it's good to see this thread, also on third level but I am 75% mosquito bites by surface area within the last 48 hours!

Will visit a pet supplies store tomorrow!

Hello,
The Mosquitos seem to circle the airport waiting for me to arrive. I am covered in bites within an hour of stepping off the plane.
What do I do with the catnip, ie where do I put it ?
Thankyou. X

Anyone know where one can buy plants? I also suffer from mosquito bites and would love to find a more effective repellent.

Since my original post, I decided not to  have any plants as they provide grounds for cockroaches.
We use other methods.
There are many anti mozzy traps you can make from water bottles and use a bit of yeast.
Link here: Mosquito trap
If bitten, heat a spoon and place on the bite (several times) this destroys the enzyme or whatever it is that causes the irritation. (It works, I do it.)
Some recommend ice cubes on the bite.
Use a good cream from pharmacist.
Cover legs and arms, particularly at night if in a mozzy area.
Other deterrents are available all with mixed reviews as to effectiveness. (Citronella candles etc)
Electric ones do not work.
You can also apply DEET (which works).
The famous old Mosquito coils work too. Link.  Mosquito Coils

redmik wrote:

Since my original post, I decided not to  have any plants as they provide grounds for cockroaches.[/url]

But this is exactly the reason why I'm looking for catnip. It should repell cockroaches (http://www.peta.org/living/humane-home/ … ckroaches/ , no, the reason is not that i want to "be kind to Cockroaches").

By the way: I went today to a shop. Reaction on my question for catnip: "For cats, right? You don't want to smoke it, right?"
He didn't had it as a plant or seeds, just dry for cats. And he didn't know if I can get it somewhere in Malta.

I virtually never get bitten. My son and husband are bitten constantly.

I've heard they like sweetness? Son and husband eat lots of sweet things.  I tend to eat very bitter foods, and I never eat anything sweet. Also, apparently things like eating Marmite helps?

I've also heard (from someone obsessed with mosquitos) that they get the scent from your ankles. So maybe disguise that?

It does seem that some people just get bitten lots whilst others don't . I tend to subscribe to the 'sweetness' theory.

slanted wrote:

I've heard they like sweetness? Son and husband eat lots of sweet things.  I tend to eat very bitter foods, and I never eat anything sweet. Also, apparently things like eating Marmite helps?

I've also heard (from someone obsessed with mosquitos) that they get the scent from your ankles. So maybe disguise that?

It does seem that some people just get bitten lots whilst others don't . I tend to subscribe to the 'sweetness' theory.

Ok, interesting - I have a very sweet tooth and suffer badly from any bites, my other half doesn't have a problem and also has no sweet tooth - so my only problem - addiction to sugar!!

Eating garlic helps to as this comes out through the skin and helps keep them away. Keeping bare flesh covered is the best idea and also any insect repellent which has Deet in it.
As a last resort wipe your arms and legs down with a rag soaked in kerosene.
I have had malaria for over 40 years now so I am aware of the need to keep the little bities away.

KölscheJong wrote:

But this is exactly the reason why I'm looking for catnip. It should repell cockroaches (http://www.peta.org/living/humane-home/ … ckroaches/ , no, the reason is not that i want to "be kind to Cockroaches").

Arguments on both sides here as the articles I have read regarding catnip do not include putting it in pots but in sachets/containers around a home. If plants are potted in organic material, (especially but not exclusively) cockroaches have a tendency to make their home in it and lay eggs.

MovingToTheMed wrote:
slanted wrote:

Ok, interesting - I have a very sweet tooth and suffer badly from any bites, my other half doesn't have a problem and also has no sweet tooth - so my only problem - addiction to sugar!!

I think you'll find it is more to do with the mosquito attraction to CO2. Some exude more than others. (Maybe affected by diet?) The amount exuded also depends upon the size of the person which is why, usually, they go for adults rather than children. It seems they also target people who produce excess amounts of certain acids, such as uric acid. Apparently some are more genetically inclined to attract mozzies more than others, (related to previous reasons) It's also why the mozzie trap with yeast works so well.

This is all very interesting. I am a mozzie magnet yet eat no sugar at all. However, I do get hot and overheated very easily, and constantly feel 'sticky' in warm weather. I just feel like a glowing, moisture laden lump, standing out like a sore thumb, emanating heat waves for the mozzie's.

I will certainly look into the advice here as it's a big problem for me that causes a lot of pain and hugely inflamed skin/lumps/irritation.

I have scars on my body because of the bleeders!!

Just got plant and some seeds off a friend earlier.
Also will buy few packets and bring to Malta in October.

Great article here.
http://www.medicaldaily.com/citronella- … mer-247634