Corozal area

We are considering moving to Belize in the next year or so.  We are coming to corozal next month to look around as this area seems to be more of what we are looking for.  After reading many of the blogs etc. my concerns are;
Should we consider a condo rather than a house for safety purposes, seems like theft is common if you leave your property .

If so is the ambergris area better?
Also looking for a good bank to establish business with, any suggestions?

I have a MA in education and former teacher.  I'm assuming there are numerous volunteer opportunities with the schools or tutoring?

So excited to start this process.  Ready to leave the rat race!!!!

come see for yourself.   I personally have no safety or property concerns.  I live in a Belizan neighborhood.  I believe that Belize City may have some rougher area.  Islands have their own up and down sides.  Ambergris is very caucasion ex-pat.  also like all islands, relatively expensive.  the areas of Belize vary widely and the only way for you to know what suits you is to come and check out the posibilities.

After only a month on this blog I find myself wanting to let people know that if they want everything to be the same as the USA or Canada, then they should not come here.  Belize is its ownself......

kristinanadreau wrote:

come see for yourself.   I personally have no safety or property concerns.  I live in a Belizan neighborhood.  I believe that Belize City may have some rougher area.  Islands have their own up and down sides.  Ambergris is very caucasion ex-pat.  also like all islands, relatively expensive.  the areas of Belize vary widely and the only way for you to know what suits you is to come and check out the posibilities.

Well said! Belize City does indeed have some rough areas and I wouldn't suggest there as a potential retirement location. The majority of the crime in all of Belize is in Belize City.. I only spent half a day there and I knew I never wanted to live there!!

I bought a lot on Ambergris Caye before ever going to Belize but I'm a beach bum type of person and that is the lifestyle I have always known I would retire into..

There is crime everywhere, that includes Ambergris Caye.. Mostly the crime is break-ins, burgleries, and petty theft on Ambergris Caye.. Most people install burgler bars and alarms if they are not going to be there all the time. Others hire a caretaker to watch their property while they are away and keep a barking dog when they are there..

San Pedro, Ambergris Caye is more expensive because it's an island, everything has to be brought out on a shipping barge, this is true with any island and island living is always at a premium price.

It really all depends on what your budget is and the lifestyle you are wanting to live..