My moving to Kampala!

Hello guys.

My name is Edin! I am from Croatia but in last 3 years i have lived in Serbia, Bosnia and Hungary. Now looking to move in Kampala next month or in August because my dream is volunteering in Africa.

I am searching this forum to see life cost and accommodation but everywhere i see 4 digits $ prices. Is this real? Is there possible to find room, flat, shared flat, shared house for up to $200? And is it possible to reduce living cost up to $200?
My question is maybe funny, but i have rented room near Budapest for some $150 and living costs is maybe $150.  If I'm not mistaken, the Hungarians have a higher standard of living and higher wages then people in Uganda. I am not looking for some luxury variant and coming alone.

Also, I am working at home, at internet. Is there any restrictions on the internet?

If someone can help me, i will be very grateful :) Or if someone offer flat, or need a flatmate, roommate, here I am :)

Ah yes, sorry for bad english :)

Hugs,
Edin

Hello Edin,

It is possible to find a room for the equivalent of $200 (this is roughly 500,000/=), but the cost of living is quite high here in Kampala. A colleague has just recently been trying to live on $2 per day to see how people survive. She said it is possible, but she couldn't sustain it long term because of bills like mobile phone, electricity etc, which of course the majority either severely limit or don't have.
Things like fresh fruits have recently become quite expensive: a bunch of small bananas used to be 500 shillings about 2 years ago - today we but them for between 2000and 3000 shillings. This is about $0.90 to $1.20 - so too expensive for the average manual worker. A litre of milk that was 1200 shillings 2 years ago is now 2000-2300 shillings. Transport has also risen in costs but is still relatively inexpensive compared to countries like UK.
You would also need to think about things like immigration requirements. A work permit and visa cost quite a bit, you may not need one for volunteering, but you should find out before planning to come.
Kampala has very many volunteers, some short term of a couple of weeks, through to those here for years. Try VSO if you want to give your volunteering some shape and structure.They would also process permits for you.
Uganda is lush and green with fantastic wildlife - worth the effort. I hope this helps.

PS. Your English is very good!

call me when your around i will help, am billy

Hi comrade, you can get a nice one bedroomed self contained apartment here in Kampala between 150USD-200USD with good security by the way. For internet, it depends on the network you are on and how you wish to subscribe but that is something minor as long as you to plan to download heavy staf. Hope to read from you.

Regards,
Derrick

hi get in touch +256754600332

[Moderated: Please post in Housing section]

[Moderated: Please use your PM]

hello,
my name is ntare garvin from uganda,i am the right person you are looking for i can help you out.here is my email [email protected]
you can contact me in-case you are planning to come to uganda.

Hi ntare garvin,

If you have some useful informations regarding Reybabe85 questions please don't hesitate to share them here. It might be help the other members too :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hello,

The house will be available for minimum of $350 in a decent locality. Add another $400 for cost of living other than transport.

hi adi,

kampala is very nice and cool city as per profile u r telling to work in. finding a flat on share will not be a problem ... once u reach there post r add in supermarket and people will search you.. add another $300 to run ur daily life for a month.. lots of palaces to move around. internet is cheap like from 15 $ per month if ur not downloading too much stuff. if u want to have a deal for shared flat post ur requirement or visit home or flat on share or rent.. defiantly u will get some good option..

if you feel like to call up
i am at +256 759763399 or +256 715763399.

Thank you a lot guys, i love you so much. Sorry for late reply. Uganda will wait few months more but i am sure to see you soon :)

Just call me on +256772192133 i have a big room that is self contained that i can give you at 200 dollars and in a good enviroment.

Thanks Roger

Hi Roger,

I suggest you to post an advert in the Rooms for rent in Kampala section, this might be helpful. :)

Thank you,

David.