Weekend trip ideas plus language exchange

Ruby Sterling from Down Under, working in Riyadh as an English teacher...enjoys being active i.e. swimming, travelling, and trying different cuisines...

Looking for an awesome spot for swimming- weekend trips maybe...

Interested in language exchange- Arabic not really serious though- just survival level maybe...

since you were in  riyadh, so basically the place you need to search ia a gym where the pool is!
there are other things to do:
1. go to al thumama to experience motorcyling in the sand dunes
2. play bowling
3. checkout some tourist spots or historical places like Riyadh Museums, Al Diriyah, etc.

about the exchange of language, not so sure if you could find one.. good luck! Welcome to the blog! :)

Thanks for the info, but I did not mean to swim in a pool.
As a person from Down Under, I miss swimming in the sea with the sharks ...

there is one called Hall of Youth Care "Reeayt Alshabab", i used to go there for swimming and it's very cheap, if i remember correctly it's 100 riyals per month. it has three swimming pools, soccer field, squash and other sports. i don't know if they accept foreigners or not, but i can ask if there's someone interested to join in.

about the language exchange,  i'm a native Arabic speaker but i'm not really good with Arabic grammar and i speak with Saudi-dialect Arabic so  i'm not really sure if i'm good with standard Arabic or not :D

meshal-tx wrote:

about the language exchange,  i'm a native Arabic speaker but i'm not really good with Arabic grammar and i speak with Saudi-dialect Arabic so  i'm not really sure if i'm good with standard Arabic or not :D

Not to mention you're a male and Ruby is a female.  Somewhat problematic, no?

Alliecat wrote:
meshal-tx wrote:

Why would it be ? If they meet in a compound, it's feasible.

Where is this Hall of youth btw?

Alliecat wrote:
meshal-tx wrote:

i don't usually go and check profiles to see if the person is a female or male :/ so thanks for pointing that our :rolleyes:

but even though i think The Hall of Youth Care has women section and for the language exchange, i don't mind if the person is male or female :D

If you notice, I gave you a 'thumbs up' for the hall of youth.  Useful information to share (if they allow foreigners).

And, Ruby is a female name (you've previously mentioned you'd spent 4 years in the USA so I thought you'd have known this--sorry ;) )

Krysman25 wrote:

Getting into compounds isn't always easy (especially for nationals) so while it could be feasible, I stand by 'problematic' !

Krysman25 wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
meshal-tx wrote:

Where is this Hall of youth btw?

it's in Alnaseriah dist. it's a big green building, you will notice it when you enter alnaseriah.

Alliecat wrote:

If you notice, I gave you a 'thumbs up' for the hall of youth.  Useful information to share (if they allow foreigners).

And, Ruby is a female name (you've previously mentioned you'd spent 4 years in the USA so I thought you'd have known this--sorry ;) )

thanks for the thumps up, yes i noticed her name but then i read her last name and i thought she meant a place or something else. i will try to pay attention and be more careful next time ;)

Completely off topic, there is a super great movie called "Ruby Sparks" !

Getting back to the topic, there are few places in Riyadh I would recommend as follows;

Salam Park
Yammama Resort - Al Kharaj Road
Fantacy Land - Thumama Road
Namar Dam - Namar Vally