Cost of living and Permanent Residency in Mauritius

Hi nBrothers
       i am pakistani living in karachi have a good job of teaching  here. I am offered a job of lecturer in an institution in mauritius  with  1200 US Dollar(40,000 MUR)  salary ,free well furnished accommodation,free schooling for children,free pick and drop,free medical,annually free air ticket for me only not for family. i have two daughters of class ii and iii, what will you suggest whether i accept it or leave ,because and donot know about the life ,cost of living etc in mauritius .I need your guidance.what part of salary can i save and what type of life can i live
altaf ,pakistan

what will be the expenditures and saving with in 40,000 MUR for four member family ,parents ,and two daughters. i am pakistani moving for job in mauritius ,how can i get permanent residency there

Hello altafskbz.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For more interaction, a new thread has been created from your message on the Mauritius forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Based on legal immigration guidelines, as a professional, you will have to earn more than Rs 45,000 monthly to be eligible for a Work permit.

http://www.investmauritius.com/Friendly3.aspx

On an additional note based on your thread name, working in Mauritius will grant you an Occupation or Work Permit and not a Permanent Residence Permit. This Occupation/Work Permit must be renewed after three years, otherwise you will be have to leave.

Permenent Residence is a different scheme coupled with tighter conditions. Here they are:

A professional having held an Occupation or a Work Permit for three years immediately preceding the
date of application for Permanent Residence Permit, and who has drawn a basic monthly salary of at
least Rs 150,000
during the entire three year period is eligible for a Permanent residence permit.

Kaviraj G wrote:

Based on legal immigration guidelines, as a professional, you will have to earn more than Rs 45,000 monthly to be eligible for a Work permit.

For a professional non-IT  to get an Occupational Permit  ( that is Work Permit and Residency permit, the salary SHOULD be Rs 45 k or above.

However, foreigners can come and work on a work permit and is not governed by the BOI terms and conditions  of OP and their salary and conditions to live on the island with his family will depend on the regulations of  Ministry of Labour, Industrial Relations & Employment under the Non-Citizens status.

Just to make it clear (sorry I find the replies ambiguous):

If you get a job for more than Rs45,000 a month: you are eligible for an Occupation Permit with BOI

If you are getting less than Rs45,000 a month, you can apply for Work permit with the Ministry of Labour

So stating that you are eligible for a Work Permit if you are earning more than Rs45,000 is not correct. 

'Work Permit' is a scheme from the Ministry of Labour
'Occupation Permit' is a scheme from the Board of Investment.