Cerros Sands

My wife and I visited Caye Caulker last month and fell in love with Belize. Though we like this small island a lot, we can see some limitations in terms of availability of food, produce, household items, etc. Plus, it looks like the living cost is higher in CC compare to mainland. Now, we are considering Corozol as a good option for moving in from Canada and we came across this Cerros Sands project but are not sure, if it is a good place to be buying a property and make it as a permanent place for living in Belize. Does anyone familiar with this project by any chance?

What would be the best community(s) for living around Corozol area?

My husband and I were just in Corozal.  I can suggest that you speak with Eleanor Williams of Century 21, her cell is 501 624 1506.  email is [email protected]      Her mother has a small house for rent, furnished, right in Corazol town.   We decided to rent for a year instead of buying, so we could get to know the neighborhoods better before we buy.   

if you are willing to pay for new construction in a development that is only ex-pats,  I would suggest that you go to the Almond tree hotel in Corozal & talk to either Lynn or Bob.  Bob has new small developement that We really liked. 

We are choosing to live in an Belizean neighborhood, because it is less expensive and it will make it easier to assimilate.

Thank you so much for the great information. My husband and I are having a great time planning the move but getting a bit frustrated about finding a place.

doglady wrote:

Thank you so much for the great information. My husband and I are having a great time planning the move but getting a bit frustrated about finding a place.

Hi!  I live in Corozal Town and love it here. I rented a house. Long term. As I do not want to build. It would be helpful to know when you are coming.,.   If you wish to rent, buy or build. And how long you plan to stay.  There are many properties available.  Don't get frustrated.  No stress.  Maybe a short scouting trip to Corozal Town would be helpful! 

Just a suggestion. 

Best! 

Cathie

Hi Cathie. We are expecting to leave at the end of the year but can do it almost anytime after October. The months are getting away from us but we are excited about the leap. We hope to come down sometime October-ish to check out some places.

Can you give me a little info on Corozal. We are looking for a "Belizean-style house" with a fenced yard that is pet friendly. We would love to have a few chickens and if the property allows, maybe a milk goat. Nothing is set in stone as we have been planning for years and we really aren't much farther than we were when we started.

Here's what we know for sure...
I am a beach combing artist type, simple and meet most of the criteria of "redneck farm girl", love my dogs and will not part with them, would like to do some volunteering for an animal cause or maybe kids causes. He likes simple life, chickens, challenges. We are both divers but don't expect that finances will allow much after we move, snorkeling, walking, a MUCH simpler, healthier life style is our goal.

I want to thank you for all of your help. You have been a God send.

Are you planning on walking everywhere or using / bringing / buying a vehicle?  The answer to that may either limit or expand your choices of places to live. I walk everywhere or take a taxi as needed.  I rent in Corozal Town.  Since I walk I don't have to worry about the rainy season really.  Many homes and developments are on roads that may not be drivable at times during the rainy season.  Yet many folks live "out" and get what they need as a community. 

I don't know Cerros Sands...  I walk everywhere...  but I am sure there are folks on the forum who do. 

Best of luck to you!

Cathie

doglady wrote:

Hi Cathie. We are expecting to leave at the end of the year but can do it almost anytime after October. The months are getting away from us but we are excited about the leap. We hope to come down sometime October-ish to check out some places.

Can you give me a little info on Corozal. We are looking for a "Belizean-style house" with a fenced yard that is pet friendly. We would love to have a few chickens and if the property allows, maybe a milk goat. Nothing is set in stone as we have been planning for years and we really aren't much farther than we were when we started.

Here's what we know for sure...
I am a beach combing artist type, simple and meet most of the criteria of "redneck farm girl", love my dogs and will not part with them, would like to do some volunteering for an animal cause or maybe kids causes. He likes simple life, chickens, challenges. We are both divers but don't expect that finances will allow much after we move, snorkeling, walking, a MUCH simpler, healthier life style is our goal.

I want to thank you for all of your help. You have been a God send.

Hi Kelly!  I wish I could be of more help. I also wish you could come down for a scouting trip to see the areas.  Corozal.....   Corozal is wonderful... for me!  I knew as soon as I came into this town that it was home. Corozal Bay is incredible.  The colors are amazing!  But there are no real beaches in Corozal. Kids swim off docks and boat launches and steps...  but no beaches.  I know that almost everyone here has a a couple of dogs.  Some cherish them, as you do, and others use them as chained up guard dogs. Life is slowly changing for the better for the animals of Belize.  But there is much to do! One of my friends works closely with our Vet, Dr. Sheila, on a spay neuter program. We all do what we can! 

Can you tell me what you mean by "Belizean style house"?  I have concrete!  We live on the Bay, but it's still the ocean and there is still hurricane season.  I want to be comfortable, but secure!  Do you have a Facebook Page?  Mine has pix of my home...  as well as lots of pix of what I do, what I eat, what I see here in Corozal.  If you have one, ask to friend me...  Cathie Kelly should help find me, though there are lots of Cathie Kelly's on FB.  My profile pix is of my Mom and me and we're both wearing purple...  That might help.

Each day I take a taxi to the Santa Rita Mayan ruins where I am allowed to dig. We find pottery shards, walls, steps, masks,,,, and yesterday we even found a tiny piece of jade. I love it! 

I know there are many small houses for rent down in Cayo district near San Ignacio.  There are also many in Placencia... where there are beaches.  I know that the further south you go, the more humid and more tropical (read LOTS more rain) you get.  I also like Corozal for the nearness to hospital, Mexico, local government offices, shopping, etc....   

I feel like I have not helped, but may have confused you....  but...  ask more questions.  Let me know what you are thinking.  I'll try to help.  Cathie

Not at all confusing. Actually our plans for San Pedro are quickly moving to the mainland. We are hoping for a scouting trip in October but my husband's job is tough so leaving is like pulling teeth. That is one of the main reasons our plans have moved up so quickly. I would rather he sack groceries than deal with idiots. So we are moving to Belize to do a little homesteading-type life for a while.

We just want a simple place to live with running water and a shower big enough to fit our tubby butts. Electricity would be nice but we are kind of aware of the differences in "cheap American house" and Belizean style, so we are prepared to deal with solar if the need is there. We actually need two rooms because our silly dogs don't get along and we keep them separated. And inside plumbing would be fabulous.

Have you ever been to the Trek Stop? We were thinking two of their rooms would make a nice home. In Missouri we call it a cabin but I have heard "Belizean-style" home, DFC style in San Pedro, Mennonite house in some other parts of the country. I have also seen some "caretakers quarters" that would be more than sufficient until we get acquainted. The big thing is a fenced yard. Big dogs, half blind dogs, and Petey Houdini the escape artist. We would love concrete but we are moving in a hurry and on the cheap so we expect to upgrade after we are there for a while.

I will hunt you down on FB. Thanks again.

[moderated: free advertisement is not allowed, pls register in the business directory]