Thai Language School

I'm going to be studying Thail language and was wondering if anyone has had experience with Walen or Pro Language? or any other schools for that matter.

I'm likely going to be in Pattaya or BKK.

Hi, my friend already finished 6 months Thai course in Pro Language and complained that they are not good. Their lessons go very slow. Many students quit after 2, 3 months study.

Don't you work for their competition?

I'm going to take a Thai course too and that's my friend's advise. Her name is Jane. On my side, I don't know them .

You contacted me from your Walen email address to sell me a Walen Thai course...

You should not be saying bad things about the competition.  That is VERY bad business.

Hey my suggestion is Pimsleur....Google it. You will learn Thai in weeks if you are there now and a couple of months if you aren't around Thai's....Its just the same as teaching a 1yr old to speak...they comprehend before speaking the words. This is the same and in one year your toddler is talking non stop...that's how you will be...Try it..Its the best way hands down...Now if you then want to lean to read and write then you take classes.

Trust me you can't go wrong.

Learn to speak the language first then learn to read and write...Classes try to teach you all at once which causes slow learning and high drop out rates very confusing to learn all at once.

Remember you were taught Speaking first then after mastering English you then were taught Reading & Writing & Grammers....No different in any language...I speak 7 fluently but only can read & write in English...I'm happy with that.

Thanks!  I will check it out.

Just an explanation:
I checked it with Jane about your question and that was her recommendation. Wanted to give it for your consideration, nothing else. I didn't give any my comment and or comparision between two schools. The rest is your choice, of course.

About nature learning to speak before learning to read and write, yes it's good method to learn very quick a language. We have applied that method in our school and work very well for more than 10 years so far.

This is turning into an interesting post for a change. A bit of trolling. I was wondering what exactly "TrangDoan" and "ForexTaurus" were up too:) Or perhaps I should say their motives for joining the forum were:)

sirrobcentral

Learn to speak the language first then learn to read and write...Classes try to teach you all at once which causes slow learning and high drop out rates very confusing to learn all at once.

Remember you were taught Speaking first then after mastering English you then were taught Reading & Writing & Grammers....No different in any language...I speak 7 fluently but only can read & write in English...I'm happy with that.

I would probably have agreed with this statement till I started to learn Thai. BUT reading Thai is a real aid to speaking it. Given that there are so many unique Thai sounds that just don't fit in with English ones. Ignore transliteration into English read the Thai words.

Reading in my opinion is also important when you consider that so many Thai words can have 5 or so means but initially appear to sound the same, when you can read you can see the different spellings, placement of vowels and tone marks(if applicable)and classification of initial consonant(which may affect tone). So it aids speaking.

I have Pimsleur Thai.  Yes its good. But I use it mostly to listen to conversation which makes it a very expensive tool given there are so many good free aids on You Tube.

Interesting feedback from everyone.  Much appreciated!

When it comes to learning Thai online, are the youtube videos and other content any good?  Anytime I ask a Thai they say no, the pronunciation isn't good or the translation/expressions are wrong.  So I'm wondering if the online content is any good?

In my opinion, learning Thai on internet site has some limitations such as:
- You couldn't have your tone, pronunciation or grammar corrected by the teacher
- There is no practice, live conversations, which make you better improvement and quicker progress.

Anyway, you can try and compare it to online Thai lessons with a Thai teacher on Skype, which makes the lessons more lively, interesting and provide supports to the students when needed.

Hey ForexTaurus.

Go to the schools you want to check out and sit in for 2-3-4 hours.
Talk to the teacher, not only the sell person.
Talk to the other students in the breaks, after class..
You get your best information from them..
Look at the books that school use...

DONŽT believe what you read on the internet, or someone PM you...

If the school donŽt give free hours, skip it, go to next one, If they donŽt answer what you ask them about, go go..

Many school in Thailand is ED-Visa mill, and after you pay, they donŽt care about if you learn anything...

I go to many school, that told me, that i never need to come to school, that take care of it....For me, when a school say this, i run away..
Why pay and not learn Thai....

Hope you find what your looking for...