Learn Thai, Get ED Visa, Stay 1 to 10 Years in Thailand

Hi all,
It's me with a new topic.
Well, I am going to talk about ED visa as well, as I think it's the best choice for people who want to stay in Thailand for long period.

Meanwhile, I am going to talk about Thai language and culture courses for people who like to learn it and doesn't need any visa

Ed visa is education visa you can get it through universities or language schools in Thailand. This way they support you gaining ED visa as well. But for people who are not interested in universities and look for cheaper prices, the best is language courses in schools. It has no restriction, age up to 12, no nationality bans and no visa runs. you just apply for a language course and they prepare everything for you to get the visa.

Note: You need to go out of Thailand to get the visa that takes 1-2 days

Q & A

What is an ED Visa? Why You should get it?

Well, there are so many people like to live in Thailand but they are wonder how can they do it. I think the best way to stay in Thailand for a long period without any concern about visa runs, hidden fees and so on is to gaining ED Visa that not only provide you a long term stay without any need to leave the country but meanwhile you would learn a new language as well.

How to get that?
It's easy, as you can get it so fast! You just need to apply in a language school in Thailand and then they will do all the paper works for you and then send you a letter to get a visa with from your country.

Does it have any restriction?

No, if you are 12 and up you can get it without any limitations.

What do you need?
8 Passport size photos
Passport
The language course fee

How you can pay it?
You can send the documents to the school and transfer money through bank, credit card, PayPal and so on.

How many years can you renew it?

for each language almost 3 years. ED visa is extendable to 10 years

Can you work with this visa?
Unfortunately, no. But you can change the visa easily if you find one.

How long does it take that the school send you the letters?
4-6 weeks

Thai courses :

How you will learn Thai?
I know when you look at Thai alphabets, or take a Thai newspaper you wonder how you are going to understand this complicated letters that comes one with another in a row. I know, I had the same feeling first time i saw the, but don't worry. You will learn it in a very natural way. You like to know more? then ask and I guide you for free. Is there any other fantastic chance for you?

At your service,
Neda

I use the Ed-Visa, but only because i am under 50 years...
I think the rules for Ed-Visa change so fast all the time, it is hard to keep up...

Me self i have to go to Laos to get the "Start Ed-Visa", i have friends on other school, that get the school to change hes Tourist visa to ED-Visa inside Thailand...

Every "Start" ED-Visa is good for 5 year and 3 month, Because first one is good for 15 month.

And my school say i can do that 2 time total, so that 10 years and 6 month...

Some Immigration give 90 days, some 1 year..

At my Immigration they WILL test us student, and if we learn to little, they cancel our Visa, i know 4 people that got the ED-Visa cancel because the learn to "slow"..
They come to the school, and video tape us, take picture, copy sign in book and so on..

New rule (Start 2013) at my Immigration office, Finger print check every 90 days at Thai Royal Police, and NEED to be no record to get the ED-Visa..

I do think ED-Visa is a good option, more so IF the school teach you, Not all do !!!

My school have a very good teacher first year, come from a job as teacher, But they let him go, and after him it have be bad bad teacher, As a teacher at Language School donŽt NEED to be real Teacher, I have teacher that i know more about Thai Alphabet then my teacher, i have teacher that only was there to improve her own English skills, and to look for a Fa-Rang man for Married, and i can keep coming on...

All so, some school have big problems get your paper work in time, for me it is a fight every single time, and know of a few others on other school have same problems..
Simple because the way Thai think about thing, it is okay, we get it done in time, it is only overstay and so on...

Let be "fair" 180/200 hours pr year, it not a lot, if you there to learn to speak, read and write, I donŽt think it be at the school you learn it, you need to do a lot of homework on you own, you NEED to go out and talk/listen to Thai......
Sure the school is a good tool to help you, practice in/at, give you some idea...

The culture courses might be different at other school, my school do the one that the M.O.E told them to do, and M.O.E send someone to control they school do it the way M.O.E want, and you learn nothing there, money out the window... I think...
All you "learn" there, you hear about/learn the first year there, going to class, going out see Thai in every day...

I will say, ED-Visa is a good option to stay in Thailand long time, if one have no other option, If have other option i pick that every day, and hire a private Teacher to learn Thai, But up to people what they do...

ED visa is good option for expatriates who want long term stay in Thailand while no other visa option is raised plus it is quite cheap to get 1 year visa under this form.

Just one important thing, you should choose our school with the credibility, recognized by Thai Ministry of Education then you can get our guarantee on teaching quality and visa issuance.

Do not hesitate to contact me for more information and support.

I've been told by more than one school that in Cgiang Mai if your over 50 they will not issue an ED visa.

Students of all ages between 12 and 99 qualify study at our school and be able to obtain the ED visa. We locate in Bangkok so you should come to BKK to make ED visa.

bta87 wrote:

I've been told by more than one school that in Cgiang Mai if your over 50 they will not issue an ED visa.

Your right mate...

1 i know got same message at Immigration Bangkok Chaengwattana RD.
They told him to use the retirement visa from now on, as he will not get any more ED-Visa after he turn 50 years...

1 In my class got this message in Nonthaburi Immigration after he married, that no more ED-Visa, from now on only Married Visa...

It is up to that Immigration office you live close to, to the person you run into that day you come to Immigration...

I know what the law/rules say, but this is Thailand, and i think many of us know after some time here, That not all go the way it is write down in the laws/rules here...

I am slightly confused with this part of your OP.

"Meanwhile, I am going to talk about Thai language and culture courses for people who like to learn it and doesn't need any visa"

So who would these people be who don't need a visa? Sounds interesting.

i think he means that taking thai language and culture courses can be good even if you dont NEED to take the class to get an ED visa, like if you already have an O visa or have become a resident.

A lot of people take the Thai language curse and the Culture curse as a part of a deal with the company the work for...
As the company want them to learn to speak Thai, and know about Thai people to better fit in, I go to school with many like this at my Old school..

Some are here on other Visa-Ext. and want to learn the language, and therefor the go to a school and have help...

Never done that wrote:

A lot of people take the Thai language curse and the Culture curse as a part of a deal with the company the work for...
As the company want them to learn to speak Thai, and know about Thai people to better fit in, I go to school with many like this at my Old school..

Some are here on other Visa-Ext. and want to learn the language, and therefor the go to a school and have help...

I know English is not your first language so please forgive me but I just love "the Thai language curse and the Culture curse " Sort of sums up Thailand perfectly :cool:

Hi Neda
I liked you slant on getting a visa, where are you based in Thailand? I am retired now and will be moving to Hua Hin in the next couple of months. I want to learn Thai, but hadn't thought of using a school I was going to buy a course.
Please keep in touch and any advice will be welcome.

Please send me the information on the school please.

Your school is in Chiang Mai? Name and location of it pls? Other detals for beginners learning Thai would be great. We're going there in November.

This topic thread is very old since 2012 and you all are replying to someone "Neda" who hasn't posted since 2012 and who's profile appears to have been deleted. Need to watch the dates of postings.

Hi everyone,

Zeus.wmo is right, this topic is very old and Neda is no more a member of Expat.com.

I am now closing this thread as this thread is no more relevant.

Thanks all,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

[ Topic closed ]

Closed