Studying in Thailand

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in Thailand?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in Thailand?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Off-Topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi,

It depends on what stream people want to study? Even the colleges/ institutions vary for different streams. Some streams are very good here in Thailand.

Expensive - compared to western countries, it's not much, may be 10,000$ - 30,000$ for the complete program (Masters). It depends on how we classify..

Regards,
Arvind

then you go home with a diploma.......but is that diploma accepted and valid in yur home country ?

Hi Priscila,

I am studying in Thailand, doing an MBA in International Business at the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC). Thailand has a good range of universities, offering courses to the international students. Costs are relatively less, I am payi g almost the same amount of any university in Bangladesh. For your information, 06 out of top 10 Asian universities are at Thailand- AIT, Mahidol, Chulalongkorn, Chingmai etc.

The standards are quite well, at least for me, comparing with the universities in Bangladesh. For a lady, I would recommend Thailand universities, not only for quality education but also for a secured environment for women.

If you want to learn more, inbox me.

Best Regards.
Suma

I can answer you rather well due to my 6 yrs teaching at the big Thai university here.   No one from Western nations and even S. America should come here for a valuable degree.  No knowledgeable person will value a Thailand diploma for anything other than being in Thailand as a cultural experience.... or for Thai language.  I taught all in English which is called an International college or school;  look for that.  Thai upper schools are very safe.

However, anyone taking a Thai diploma to other third world countries can be impressive.  Also, a Thai diploma IN Thailand cuts some ice.  Learning Thai is a great thing to do, of course. 

Sufficient to say that Thailand is not the intellectual capital of anything internationally, but happy within the nation with each other.

came to thailand for 3 months on the erasmus exchange student  program
that was about 16 years ago
never went home 
still here
really enjoyed the experience so decided to stay
falling in love had a lot to do with it if one is to be honest
asked my lecturers at the time what to do
they said "as I was 40ish [  non traditional student/mature student ] and ONLY studying management here and back in the uk was  pretty similar"

matching and transferring my credits from the 1st year in england was a nightmare and costly

one lecturer in particular was hopeless but that could happen anywhere

been teaching english here for 12 years so thai based degree is ok

considered teaching in shane school of english taiwan a few years back

they would not and do not recognize a thai based degree

it's very important to think about where you want to use your degree

what would I change ?

nothing except my choice of major
were I to rewind the clock I would do a degree in teaching english

hope that helps

Some of the elite Thai universities can provide a decent education, but they certainly are not ranked in the top ten in Asia. The highest-ranked institution according to QS is Chulalongkorn at 45, while the TIE Asia University Rankings only includes two in the top 100: Mahidol at 90 and King Mongkut's University of Technology at 98.

Thailand does provide a good option for many expats coming from countries with few higher education options, but it definitely is not well-suited to Westerners who do not plan to stay in the country.

Education in Thailand?

Silly question. No one would recommend it except for learning the Thai language. Ask a Thai university student an item of general knowledge. Name the countries bordering Thailand? What is larger the sun or the moon? Come to Thailand and join the pop.

Frank Lombard
Bangkok

I would say outside the top 5 or 10 Universities in Thailand it is not worth the effort. There are a few good programs but as mentioned are where are the programs accepted and what is the reason for doing a degree.

Learning Thai is another issue.

Doing a degree is my concern as my daughter would be entering University in August 2017 and I teach at a University in Thailand. Most Universities have links with foreign Universities (not all well respected foreign universities) so there is hope of dual programs that will be accepted outside of Thailand. Different Universities have strengths so a KMITL or KKU engineering degree would be accepted in Malaysia or Japan whereas their other degrees might be less so. Many Thai universities have one strong area which they are known for otherwise too bad.

You can do post grad work in the US or UK with a Thai degree but the better Thai universities are easier. Lower quality programs mean doing equivalency exams.

Out side the top 10 in Thailand it may not be worth the effort. And the cost is relatively cheap. At most government universities Mahidol, KMITT or so the international (English) program cost about THB 120,000 or less per year whereas at Bangkok University and Stamford its THB 160,000 per year. KMITL program is THB 80,000 per year and they link with Glasgow University so you can finish your degree there paying Thai tuition. Decent quality, decent price.

Also if you are planning to work in Thailand a top Thai uni  gives you more pay and quicker chances of upward mobility.

Be careful, shop around, ask question and know what you want and what you are going to do next.

Except for maybe studying Thai cooking or Buddhism I can think of no reason whatsoever for studying anything in Thailand.
No degree from Thailand would be recognized anywhere in the west.

Hi Priscilla ,

Thanks for advising,

Im a working professional in Control system engineering i have  Thailand Visa and Work permit.

Iam Planning to do masters!! is that possible, can you advice me the best university

regards
Srinath

Hi Priscilla

Historically, the three most prestigious universities in Thailand were Chulalongkorn University, Mahidol University, and Thammasat University. They all had different fields of expertise, and are the oldest. Nowadays, there is a lot more homogeny in what the universities offer, and a lot more universities offering a high standard of education, with Kasetsart, KMITL, Khon Kaen, Prince of Songkhla, Silpakorn, Siam University, and Chiang Mai University having established international programs.

Fees vary by faculty, so you need to check each faculty individually. Beware that some faculties, mainly the international ones, have 3 semesters, and traditionally Thai ones have only 2, so total price might be less even if the price per semester is higher. The maximum you would pay per year would be under 200,000THB.

All international programs use English as the lingua Franca, with all the classes taught in English. Everyone might be Thai, including the teacher, but English is spoken. The bigger international programs will have over 100 students on exchange or study abroad, from the USA, Germany, UK, Australia, and many more places.

Thai universities ranking in the world rankings should tell you how to value your trip academically. What cannot be ranked is the extra-curricular experience, which is very interesting and eye-opening. Thailand has an amazing and unique culture that is worth more than any lecture.
I have followed a pastry and bakery certificate course conducted by by Swiss Lanka hotel school in Sri Lanka which having afeliation ship with city and guilds UK. Are there any higher education diploma or degree related to above mentioned subject. Please let me know with academic and other fees details.
Can you post Thailand account for me