English chap considering Malaysia

My Indonesian wife is asking me to look around other countries so here's the question.

If I wandered to Malaysia on a UK passport, how difficult would it be to get a long term visa that would allow me to set up a small, private English school and do odd days at other schools as a guest speaker?

Hi

You will need to set up a business in Malaysia and it requires you to have a paid up capital of RM350,000 and then with that you will obtain a work permit. Otherwise you will only be able to come into Malaysia on a social visit pass and not allowed to work in Malaysia.

Regards
Geri

If it was easy everyone would do it! Malaysia is notvthe basket case like Indonesia (whose government is a mess) and now to come to Malaysia to work you need something to bring either skills in short supply or lots of investment capital. Soon Malaysia will have boatloads of western "refugees" from collapsed western economies to turn away! Actually is happening now! Don't assume Malaysia is desperate for any old foreigner. It isn't.

wow,,,,old foreigner?

Although i usually agree with what you write Nemodot I have to disagree a bit on this.

First you say you need either capital or skills in short supply (and also mention if it was easy everyone would do it). Then that Malaysia is having boatloads of westerners coming here, isn't that a contradiction?

Which areas in KL have these boatloads of westerners moved to? Although I can notice more westerners here now compared to a couple of years ago it comes nowhere close to the amount of Iranian (or Indian, Pakistani, Bangla, etc) expats in Malaysia.

On the topic of English school/teacher market i would like to comment that there is not a big market for that in Malaysia. It's not comparable to Thai/Viet/China/indo?/etc at all. My gut feeling is that setting up a private school without a lot of connections here is doomed to fail.

Just curious, why move from Jakarta?  Is it really that bad? I'm a bit curious about Indonesia myself, after getting bored with Malaysia who knows ;)

English is a government pushed fashion here.
Loads of people want to learn for a host of reasons, mostly cash.
I love Indonesia but my wife is looking for a change.
I know KL would be a tough place but perhaps Ipoh.

If you want to find out a little about Indonesia.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=121573

Ipoh wouldn't really be the place to consider as there is a new international school opening in Kampar(which is an hour's drive away from Ipoh)

http://www.westlakeschool.edu.my/html/kampar.html