Is S$6500 good enough for a family of 3?

Hi all,
I've got an offer from a company in Singapore and they are offering me a salary S$6500 per month apart from regular perks like medical reimbursement and hospitalization insurance. I'll be moving in with my wife(she's not working) and a 1 year old kid. Can someone let me know if this is a good enough salary to lead a decent lifestyle? I know 'decent lifestyle' is very difficult to define. What I'm looking for is a good 2 bed room HDB house, fitness club membership, eating out with family during weekends(in restaurants, not in hawker centers), good healthcare for family, occasional movies etc. Can you please let me know if S$6500 is good enough for this? Please note that the company is located in Jurong.

Thanks in advance for your help.

A 2-bedroom HDB will likely cost you around $2500. Some of the better ones could be for $2700, but it's location specific, you could find some in Ang Mo Kio or Bedok/Changi for perhaps $1800 as well.

You'd likely get two phone connections, a TV connection at home, internet, you'd spend on travelling for 2+1 people, food, taking care of your child, shopping for him/her.

Personally, I think with $6500 you might not be very comfortable. If it was just you and your wife I think you'd be okay and just manage to scrape through, but with a child as well, it could prove to be a little difficult.

Push for $7500 if you can, $8000 would be a lot more comfortable. Good luck.

Thanks ARS9 for your valuable inputs. Would you be able to give me an approximate amount that I might have to spend on TV/Internet/Gas/Power and Food(we are pure vegetarians)? We cook at home on almost all days. I know it is very difficult to estimate this for someone else, but if you can tell me an average amount based on your experience in Singapore, it would be of great help.

TV + Internet = You'll probably get the Indian channels package and the Cricket I'm guessing for sports. You can club that with an internet connection and you'll spend close to about $100/month on this. Maximum $120.

Your electricity and gas bill is subjective, but based on my experience here you're looking at about $150 to $200 per month for a 2 bedroom apartment and considering your wife will be at home the whole day.

Mobile Phones = Cheapest plans will be about $30 - $35/month. For two people that's $70.

As for food, this is difficult. I would say that for three people, you're looking at close to $1000 a month if you're buying vegetables, milk, cereal, bread, sugar etc etc. $1000 is a safe estimate I feel, you probably won't be spending more on that.

For you, your wife and your child to eat out, a meal at a nice restaurant will be about $55, if you eat out twice a week (and it'll probably be more than that) you're spending close to $500 eating out at nice restaurants.

Hope that helps.

If you take the bus regularly to and back from work, you're looking at spending easily another $50-$60 on your bus card. Your wife will probably spend about $30, so you can add another $100. I know that this all may seem clear cut, but do ensure you keep a nice cushion for yourself, and this is primarily on my expensive.

Let me know if you need any other help.

Thanks once again for your detailed response. Appreciate it. It is really helpful.