Blue Card scheme

Hello everybody!

Did anyone apply for a Blue Card in Malta? I mean not "apply for residence permit in Malta with Blue Card issued in other country", but "apply for Blue Card initially in Malta" :)

It seems like nobody in ETC, CEA etc understands what exact documents I need to provide for application.

Regards,
Sam

what is it for ?

what do yoe mean blue card- i have never heard of that at all....

do you mean EHIC ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Card_ … n_Union%29

"The Blue Card is an approved EU-wide work permit (Council Directive 2009/50/EC)[1] allowing high-skilled non-EU citizens to work and live in any country within the European Union, excluding Denmark, Ireland and the United Kingdom, which are not subject to the proposal.[2] The term Blue Card was coined by the think tank Bruegel, inspired by the United States' Green Card and making reference to the EU flag which is blue with twelve golden stars.[3]

The Blue Card proposal presented by the European Commission offers a one-track procedure for non-EU citizens to apply for a work permit, which would be valid for up to two-years, but can be renewed thereafter. Those who are granted a blue card will be given a series of rights, such as favourable family reunification rules. The proposal also encourages geographic mobility within the EU, between different member states, for those who have been granted a blue card. The legal basis for this proposal is Article 63(3)(a) and (4) of the Treaty of Rome, which states that the Council shall adapt measures on immigration policy concerning “conditions of entry and residence and standards on procedures for the issue by Member States” and measures “defining the rights and conditions under which nationals of third countries who are legally resident in a Member State may reside in other Member States”.[4]"

No, it's not EHIC.

If you look at the Foreign Affairs page - one of the basis for residence permit in Malta for TCN is "Blue Card - form B"

It was announced on 2010-2012 in different EU countries. The benefits for TCN are:
1. You can apply once and then use the same card in every country  to apply for new (re-new) residence permit
2. You don't need to close your residence permit and open the new one in case of changing the employer
3. The period to obtain long-term residence permit (5 years in Malta, for example) can be collected from the different countries in EU where you live with Blue Card. For example, you can live 3 years in France, then 2 years in Malta and apply to long-term residence

For me the main benefit would be - residence permit on the basis of Blue Card is usually issued for 2 years, not for 1 year as in normal employment licence basis.

Hi Sam,

maybe no one in Malta has applied for one !

The terms and conditions are :

1) work contract offered by an EU employer

2) professional qualifications and work experience as defined.

3) a minimum salary level which has to be at least three times the   level of existing minimum wages at national level.

Cheers
Ricky

This is from the EU website regarding the Blue card scheme~

"If the EU is to reach the goals of sustainable and inclusive growth, based on research and innovation, Europe needs to attract more talent. This is why it is crucial that all Member States apply these common rules and foster a comprehensive and balanced EU migration policy.

On 18 July 2011, the Commission sent letters of formal notice (the first step of the infringement procedure) to Germany, Italy, Malta, Poland, Portugal and Sweden concerning their failure to notify the Commission of measures taken to implement the Directive.

Three of them (Italy, Malta and Portugal) have still not signalled any such measures within the set deadline (two months), prompting the Commission to act."

So unless Malta has complied since I guess it's not implimented yet.

Terry

i would guess that malta hasnt implemented anything along with a lot of other EU directives....

They introduced the scheme in 2011 (SL 217.15)

and even in application forms on CEA web-site there is a form to apply for residence permit on that basis.

But the problem is that nobody can explain what exactly should be provided to CEA to apply.

Since now we cannot just come and ask them (the queue of angry people will kill me), I am trying to find the answer on the forum :)

ricky wrote:

Hi Sam,

maybe no one in Malta has applied for one !

The terms and conditions are :

1) work contract offered by an EU employer

2) professional qualifications and work experience as defined.

3) a minimum salary level which has to be at least three times the   level of existing minimum wages at national level.

Cheers
Ricky

Yes, I have everything. And they need the "confirmation from MQRIC" regarding my qualification and something else (in accordance with form B on web-site), but what particular confirmation.... nobody knows :)

"Yes, I have everything. And they need the "confirmation from MQRIC" regarding my qualification and something else (in accordance with form B on web-site), but what particular confirmation.... nobody knows "

It looks like you need to fill in this form to get confirmation that your qualification is recognised in Malta.
www.mqc.gov.mt/file.aspx?f=172

Terry

tearnet wrote:

It looks like you need to fill in this form to get confirmation that your qualification is recognised in Malta.
www.mqc.gov.mt/file.aspx?f=172

Terry

Yep, thank you. I found that I already had even this one for 2 of my diploma. Just applied for another 2. But in MRQIC they don't know about the Blue Card either :( And they are not sure that their "usual" confirmation would be enough.

Another problem - by the law, application for Blue Card are considered during 3 months and procedures are the same as in new work permit application. Probably it's better to postpone it a little bit after all this "e-residence rush"

"Probably it's better to postpone it a little bit after all this "e-residence rush"" the rush will last years unless massively more resources are put in

georgeingozo wrote:

"Probably it's better to postpone it a little bit after all this "e-residence rush"" the rush will last years unless massively more resources are put in

Yes, unfortunately :(
But for now I have work permit - probably it's easier just to update it.

Nobody wants to be the pioneer in the government clerks relationship :)

Update.

Ok, if 'nobody want to be a pioneer', I do.

Short brief. If you:
1. Are third-country national
2. Want to avoid formalities and even problems in case of change of employer
3. Want to sum up your period of residence in diff EU countries for 'long-term residence' requirements
4. Have high salary and good regulated profession (like doctor or advocate)
it's probably better to apply for Blue Card than continue with annual renewals of employment licenses.

What you should read and understand
1. Form B from the list: http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Information/ … dence.aspx
2. Regulation 217.15: http://justiceservices.gov.mt/DownloadD … =11773&l=1
3. Mutual Recognition of Qualification Act and SL: http://justiceservices.gov.mt/LOM.aspx? … gotoID=451

What you should prepare to apply:
1. Get MQRIC recognition for your diplomas and certificates
2. Obtain the confirmation that you eligible to practice in Malta (Accountant Warrant for my profession, for example)
3. Obtain the letter with job description from your employer
4. Fill-in the Form B and sign it with your employer
5. Usual 'copies of everything' should be provided to Evans Building together with the points above.

In my case the Director of Identity Office kept my documents for a week for preliminary approval and then I came again for photo and other formalities. Now I have a receipt that my application as 'Blue Card Worker' was accepted :)

Update.

I've received my residence permit with the basis 'Karta Blu tal-EU'
All benefits are useless in Malta since they still ask for Employment License and issue the card for 1 year only.

The only point to do it: if you change the employer with residence permit issued on 'Blue Card' basis, you don't need to cancel the previous residence and leave the country. At least by law - you can stay up to 3 months until you find the new job. How it would be in practice - nobody knows...

Hello Spiridonov,

I'd like to ask if you had to pay additional fees for the Blue Card? I believe I am in the same situation as yours, I have the Work/Residence permit here in Malta, and I was thinking to apply for the Blue Card under the same circumstances.

I believe another benefit of the BC in comparison to the regular Work Permit is the possibility to accumulate residence time regardless of which EU country you are living/working.

Your last post is from 2014, I am also curious to know if you would have any updates...

Thank you.

Bests,
G.

Hi!

There are no updates - I am renewing my residence permit annually and receive it on the same basis (Blue Card). Every time the clerks in Identity Malta are stuck with my Form B application: I believe Blue Card is still very rare in Malta :)

After I send a query to servizz.gov.mt, Identity Malta confirmed that the residence permit can be issued for more than 1 year, but it's accepted on case-by-case basis (you should personally provide all the documents to the manager and discuss)

The fee for residence permit is the same for Form B or Form C

I applied of the Blue Card on May 15th 2013. Since then the only official document that I got is acknowledgement that I applied. Otherwise I am getting the same reply as you: There is a problem with your application.

So, IMHO no Blue Card was ever issued.

Hi Spiridonov,

Does having the EU Blue Card from Germany (unlimited residency) have any effect in Malta?  Do i have to work in the same field in Malta that I work in Germany in order to get the Blue Card there?

Or is the whole thing a completely separate process for a new Blue Card?
Under what grounds did you get yours, salary or field of work?

I am also looking for the same topic! I have asked this to identity malta but never answered back. I got German EU Blue Card and trying to find out any benefits if I applied Malta's work/residence permit.

I believe what I read was that the Blue Card is independant of its own per country, the only thing that unites it is that the time is carried over for having it, but i'm not sure... I have an unlimited residency card for Germany (Blue Card), but I dont think that if i apply now in Malta i would get the unlimited from them as well...  I'm really interested in this

Dear Sam,

Now I am in the same situation, as I am working in Germany on EU Blue card (over 18 months) and I found a new job in Malta as Software engineer.

I need your guide so i will really appreciate if you could help me about the following:

1. How to start first fill the 2B form
2. Who will need to submit that form me or my employer, since I am not in Malta
3. they will still check my qualification as it's already done when I came to Germany

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Thanks,
Sahil

The topic you are on is from 2016 so you may not get an answer, you may have to start a new one.Good luck.

Guys,

Further it. I applied for the Blue Card five years ago and never got an official reply. Unofficially, I was told that it's not going to happen. Maltese authorities are not willing to issue Blue Cards. They must have forms and procedures to fulfill EU requirements, but in reality applications are just silently ditched.

Hi everybody!

Sorry, I forgot about this forum completely.
Basically, the process is quite simple now for me, I just apply for renewal of Blue Card every year. Even better news: from 2018 they issued the renewed card for 3 years since I have a permanent employment contract (similar to Key Initiative scheme). And the same was done for my family.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to apply for Blue Card if Malta is the second Member State for you (like if you already had Blue Card in Germany and want to relocate to Malta). I didn't have this experience

If the information on EU portal is correct, there were 2 Blue Cards issued in Malta (https://ec.europa.eu/immigration/bluecard_en). I am wondering who is the second one :)

Hello,

We have a Maltese based company, which wishes to relocate its employees from Russia to Malta. Workers have high education. Actually, it's not clear which option is the best in this case and what to start with? The single permit application, non-single permit application or receiving of a Blue card for highly qualified employees? As its written in the post above Eu Blue Card doesn't prevent from the requirement to receive an Employment Licence. I will be grateful if anyone could provide me with any information on this and in particular what better to start with?

I have read already many sources on these topics, including EU Immigration Portal, Jobsplus and Malta Identity, but still, the process and difference between options is not very clear.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am in same situation,i am currently working in EU holding blue card,got offer from malta
Can i get blue card from malta
processes is listed in forum like submitting FORMB ,can i submit from outside malta or i need to come to malta,how much days it takes

Thanks

Lucky

So finally whats your view,your residency in EU got accumulated with Malta Blue card,i mean what period you worked earlier before moving to malta is added or not

Periods must be accumulated. It is important to have 1,5 years spent in first country and 2 years in last. Total should be more than 5 years.

However I doubt anybody tried it in Malta to get ltr by accumulation of years from other countries.

But again governments must accumulate all periods.

Regarding submitting from other country - yes(and again such option defined by law). There is a procedure "still abroad". Your documents can be submitted by your employer.

Thanks for reply

if i work on blue card for 10 months in one schengen country and then move to other and work on blue card,as its less than 18 months it will not be accumulated
or it can be accumulated

Strictly speaking, if you move prior 18 months - it will be application for new card (not conversion from one country to another).
So I think it will not be accumulated.