Mad idea ?

I am planning to come to Malta in September with a view to settling there. My daughter and son in law want to come to but he is concerned about giving up a good job as a qualified electrician with pension etc. He works 4 days on then 4 days off with 18 days off very 9 weeks.. He is contemplating commuting to work living in UK 4 days then malta. Planning to do it for 6 months to see how he likes malta and if he can find a job. Any views on this, anyone know of someone who has tried this?

Think this is a good Ideal, I think that someone on here had a similar way of thinking.

It may work out expensive travelling every week, but certainly once in wevery 2 wouldnt be to bad

J.

i would not expect too much in the way of work here and especially not the wages..for sure...I suspect scoobs is right on this one

Hi Davjones,

welcome to the forum.

I'm not quite sure if I understand the question right?

He wants to give up a well paid job with pension in the UK and commute to Malta to work here as an electrician ?

Or live in Malta and commute to the UK ?

If it is the first then I would say he must be mad -)))

The other way around would depend on his salary in the UK as to whether it is worthwhile to commute from Malta to the UK.

Cheers
Ricky

Right he doesn't want to pack in a good job in the UK and move to malta and not find a job so he wants to keep the UK job going for up to 3 to 6 months whilst based in malta, this will give him time to see if malta is where he wants to be and look for a job of any description in malta.if he doesn't like malta or can't find a job he still has his job in the UK and has lost nothing , apart from air fares

That should be workable although of the 4 working days off 2 will be spent travelling between Malta and the UK.

The 18 days every 9 weeks give a bit more time to get to know Malta and see if he likes it and can find something appropriate.

Cheers
Ricky

Anyone know of someone who has attempted this?