True and accurate Info!!!!!

My wife and I are originally from Texas but we moved to Florida 7 years ago to be by the beaches.  We love the beach, boating and fishing.  We have decided to become expats because we cannot afford to live how like in the US anymore.
I am a retired firefighter and have a small pension.  We are hoping to be able to buy and run a small bungalow/motel type business for added income.  I am a subscriber to International Living Mag but they seem to only tell you the good stuff and want to sell you their info, as they are a for profit business.  I am not sure which country I want to live in yet, can someone who has been there help me out.  As usual I have thought about the big 3, Belize, Panama, and Costa Rica.  Ecuador, Uruguay, and Honduras have come up on the radar.  I have also come across an island off the coast of Venezuela called Margarita Island, anyone know anything about this place?
Looking forward to chatting with you folks about this subject.  Hope you can give me some good honest responses.  Thanks and God Bless!!Fireman Tex

hi,i went to honduras,la ceiba area in august to look for waterfront property.flying in the landscape looks like something out of jurassic park,beautifull.we stayed at a bed and breakfast owned by a former cop from boston,he is honduran.everything in honduras has barbwire around it and all shops and stores are guarded by security with guns.we had american express travellers cheques and they weren`t accepted anywhere,had to use visa.no-one speaks english,i found one guy willing to help me cash the cheques who spoke english but we had no luck.you dont go out at night there.talk to a few other people on the forum but i would suggest with limited income corozal in belize,and everyone can speak english.i was looking at property just outside belize city,but after talking to a few people and their views on crime and being an expat im now looking at the ambergrise caye area but it is a little more expensive to live there.talk to many people before you decide.

Hi,

We are expat to be couple to be from Ca.  We had decided on Belize as our retirement home.  The reasons??
1.  English is the spoken language
2.  Warm climate year round with a nice on shore breeze most of the time.
3. Off the hurricane track:  They get a couple a year and not any severe ones (knock on wood) as of late.
4.  decently priced real estate for sale or rent: Our double lot across the street from the beach was 70K. Nice homes were from 100K up and decent rentals from 5-600.00 a month up.
3. Cost of living is reasonable.  Some things are higher, some lower but, on the average, one can live comfortably on a modest income.
4. Reasonable health care. For the average ache and pain and doctor's visit we understand that the doctors are pretty good and the cost is a fraction of stateside costs.  For more complex medical issues Mexico (still a good value) or stateside are a better choice.
4. The barrier reef; we are into scuba diving, snorkeling and other water sports. Lots to do and lots to see with over 174 miles of reef to choose from.

Now, there are downsides. 

1.  Belizian Time: You need to get used to responses in days and weeks and not hours and days.  Actually a good thing but hard to get used to for an American.  If you don't get used to that then, We are told you'll go nuts in dealings there.

2. Crime:  I think personally that the crime there is far less than we see on the streets of USA.  But, per capita, it is high.  On the flip side most of the violent crime seems to be centered on Belize City.

2. Some things are not cheap.  Electricity, imported food, gas, etc.  You cannot live like you do in the US in these areas without impacting your budget negatively.

3. You are a foreigner, The rich "gringo".  Locals will want to seperate you from your money.  The saying we have heard is "trust only those who are recommended to you" and even then "trust but verify" as we say in the Information security community.

4.  Support and Retail Services. No Walmart, MacDonalds, Nearby fire department or ambulance etc. Definitely not as convenient as we americans are used to.

We are by far no experts and there is plenty more pros and cons. Overall, we have found from our research so far that Belize met many of our desires and interests.  If you like more info buzz me off line.  I have whole computer folder of documents and links that I have collected. 

Kevin
[email protected]

We arrived in Corozal 8 days ago. Drove down through Mexico. Our plans are to explore all areas of Belize prior to deciding where to retire. Our next stop will be Hopkins. There are many, many hotels, guest houses and rentals in Corozal. My advice-no matter where you decide to go- is to visit and stay awhile, get to know the country, meet people-locals and expats, cook in a kitchen, go to the grocery store and farmer's markets, eat at the restaurants, see the sights. It's good to do the research ahead of time so you have an idea--but nothing beats the hands-on experience!

As for Margarita Island--I lived in Venezuela in the early 70's--back then it was mostly oil refineries--today, I'd be wary of Chavez..North Americans are not welcomed with open arms.

Good luck to you!

Hi Tex

First of all I echo nearly everything that Kevin_F listed in his reply to you.

My wife and I repatriated (from the UK) to Belize ( we are living in Ambergris Caye) at the end of May. After only 6 months we know that we have made the right decision. Should add though that we had been holidaying here for around 14 years before moving for full time living.

Feel free to contact me if you think I can help.
John
http://www.abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

Thanks everyone so far for the info!!!  Keep it coming.....
We hope to be able to get down for a du diligence trip this spring and hopefully meet you guys.

Hello Tex
We currently live just outside Houston but have been looking outside US for retirement for some time and the political situation here makes it more appealing every day. Our original excursion was about 20 years ago to Lake Chapala Mexico. It was agreat trip and we really liked the area and almost bought a home there. Things have changed quite a bit over time and with most of Mexico caught up in drug trafficking we now croossed it off. We spent some time in Costa Rica a few years back and liked it very much and is one of the places my wife has a great interest in. one of my favorites is Honduras but definitely not the mainland absolutely beautiful but way to dangerous but the barrier island of Roatan is special but you and your wife have to love diving as it is a diving mecca with nothing else to do. I had to cross that off my list because my wife does not dive. If you want the beauty of a Jurassic park, like surfing and live in a safer than most place you Have got to consider Nicaraqua around the San Pedro Sula area on the Pacific cost. Ecuador, Panama the list goes on. I have not been to Belize yet but will go in January. What I am trying to say is if you have travel around a bit. hang out in different places each place has its on special pieces of paradise. I have hooked up with advice from International living and can tell you don't waste your time or money. Whatever you decide best of luck and check out some of these places it is a great adventure.

hi,roatan is not the safe place either,although better than the mainland.on october 19,2012 a member of the canadian fisheries and oceans was leaving a bar at night on his way back to the hotel and was shot in the head,then robbed.honduras is beautifull but they shot first then rob you,you dont have time to give them your wallet.we went snorkeling off cayo cochinos which is between roatan and the mainland and had a great time,one of our guides spoke english and was a member of the 10th mountain division (american military)just outside watertown,new york.he said he was going back for further training and wanted to save enough money to buy a place in la ceiba.the capital is extremely dangerous and also san pedro sula,honduras.our freind the cop from boston takes security with him when he goes to san pedro,he had him with him when they picked us up at the airport there,as gangs watch the airport along with cabbies and rob you or report which hotel you are staying.the u.s. military is currently in honduras on the back side of pico bonito mountain,because thats where they fly in the drugs now for export to the u.s.i was told that the retirement program in panama is the best in the world,but its hard actually to get the discounts.for example..if you carry a pension card you are entitled to a percentage off airline tickets,movies,restaurants,transportation etc.but i know of a couple who asked for their 10% off a meal and the waitress complained like it was gonna come from her pocket.i have the same problem here in canada,i live 2 miles from the border,i cross over,get gas,groceries,etc,they take canadian at par and they promote they`ll give you a free bridge pass back across the border,but when i ask they take 10 minutes to get it to you or dont bring it at all.no matter where you go,its gonna be a major culture shock,you wont get what you get back home.most important is the language for me,thats why im considering belize,and they have everthing i need,forest,mountains,beaches,wildlife,climate,diving.