Winter in Malta

Hello Everyone,

I have read several forums where people have stated that winter in Malta is harsh, particularly inside the house. Furthermore, I have read that many have to wear gloves, hats, and winter coats inside the house just to maintain body heat because of the lack of central heating and non existent insulation.

However, I have asked local Maltese and they could not disagree more. Granted, I have only asked a few. They literally laughed and smirked when I suggested that the houses were uncomfortable during the winter months (Dec - March).

What has been your experience during a typical Maltese winter (inside the house)?

you are asking on the wrong fourm buddy,this is for egypt,not malta,go to the proper network browser,and post there.

I am in the correct forum (Malta)

Thank you

JoeToronto wrote:

people have stated that winter in Malta is harsh, particularly inside the house.

far from harsh outside, when a very cold winters night might get to +3C,and +8C in the daytime but inside is barely warmer, and can be damp, due to lack of central heating.

wow...I cannot imagine a house at even 15C INSIDE...it would be absolutely freezing...in Canada my house is never below 21C, and even then in the winter it still feels cold

okay,so why can did i see on the Egypt classifieds?

Rana...just let it go, thank you for your concern

15C- luxury

How much are your utility bills to keep at 21C?

It's perfectly possible to keep a Maltese house at 21C but would be very expensive

I am sure if you run a heater and dehumidifier it will be fine. Also, I am sure air con units offer heat in Malta. I think it's a bit of an exaggeration of trying to keep the house warm. It seems like the people in Malta cannot wrap their heads around paying a couple hundred dollars/month in utilities as this is very normal in Canada. I will never use propane/gas in the house as that is unhealthy and unsafe.

I would say for a 100 square meter home, utilities (water and electricity) will be around $200 Euro/month...Average Canadian salary is around $30 000 - 35 000 euro/annually

Which is 2-3 times the typical salary in Malta :-)

georgeingozo wrote:

Which is 2-3 times the typical salary in Malta :-)

This is correct. However, in Toronto the AVG house (3 bed 2 bath) sells for about $425 000 Euro. Average mortgage is around $300 000 debt load. Rent for the same type of property is $2000/month + utilities (200-300/month). Car insurance is approximately $2000 Euro/year. Fuel is $1.00/euro per litre (and the average Canadian drives 20 000 km/year). Average phone bill is about $45 euro/month. Internet and cable expect to pay another $80/month.

Unlike much of Europe, University and College are not free. University students can expect to pay $4000 - $6000/year for tuition and books. Post graduate students (doing masters and PHD) can expect to pay $10 000 - 20 000/year depending on program and university.

Living expenses are high in Canada, especially in Toronto. Wages seem high but in relation to costs of living, many Canadians are drowned in personal debt, this is not including massive mortgage debt.

Interesting comparisons. Personally I have no problem with a house at 15C or lower, I had the same in the UK,  and when it gets cold I put on another layer, or go outside into the Maltese sun :-)

Most maltese will probably tell you summer is their least favourite season,  and prefer the winter.

georgeingozo wrote:

Interesting comparisons. Personally I have no problem with a house at 15C or lower, I had the same in the UK,  and when it gets cold I put on another layer, or go outside into the Maltese sun :-)

I would assume 12-15C is not a problem because the outside temperature is 5-15C.

In Canada you can expect sub zero temperatures from November to end of March. Mid December to early March -5C to -10C are common.

In the summers, air con is needed as temperatures in July/August can hit 40C - 45C with humidity.

In Toronto we feel -25C to -30C in cold snaps in the winter and 40C - 45C in the summer...we are exposed to extreme temperatures to say the least.

georgeingozo wrote:

Most maltese will probably tell you summer is their least favourite season,  and prefer the winter.

Many Maltese live in Toronto and have strong family connections. The locals I know in Malta look forward to beach days in August. I guess it depends on who you ask.

JoeToronto wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

Many Maltese live in Toronto and have strong family connections. The locals I know in Malta look forward to beach days in August. I guess it depends on who you ask.

All in hear in Gozo in the summer from locals is "when will it rain " :-)

Hiya Joe,

I do have to agree with George that Most Maltese do wish for the Winter.

However you have hit the nail on the head so to speak. The Dehumidifier is the way to keep a house feeling warmer in Malta, as the dampness is what makes you feel cold.

The temperatures at the moment outside are about 20-22 degree's Tropical compared to some countries and in the Sun its very nice.

Julian

very nice

We are packing 2 humidifiers, three halogen heaters and an electric blanket when we leave to live on Gozo/Malta permanently in July.
These we have bought new here in the UK as they are cheaper and we can test them first.
We are spending winter on Gozo Jan - March deliberately to experience the so called winter there, for which we are taking nothing additional except warm clothing.
Personally I do not expect to have any issues however, Lynnder, with her arthritis, may so we will wait and see. If we need extra heating appliances etc. then we shall bring it over in July.

Mind you, I also have my Arctic clothing, sub layers and Canadian snow boots to pack too. (I'm not joking as we intend to continue travelling when living out there.)

You can get a dehumidifier delivered from John Lewis as well and I think its cheaper than buying here in Malta.

I have to shoot back to the UK with work in a couple of weeks so I will be bringing an electric blanket back with me :)

J.

" 2 humidifiers, three halogen heaters and an electric blanket" - I'd also add fleecy blankets (which are cheap to buy in Malta) - they also make a massive difference

georgeingozo wrote:

" 2 humidifiers, three halogen heaters and an electric blanket" - I'd also add fleecy blankets (which are cheap to buy in Malta) - they also make a massive difference

Yes, thanks and agreed.

Unfortunately John Lewis doesn't deliver electrical goods internationally;)

Amazon do, we got this one.

HOMEFRONT FULLY FITTED WASHABLE DOUBLE SIZE MATTRESS COVER DUAL CONTROL

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 … 00_s00_i00

amazon have a size and weight limit to Malta

"Additional delivery restrictions may apply due to the nature of some products. These products might be restricted for delivery, both within the UK and to other countries. For example, large items, such as those that are 30kg or heavier, or have large boxes (typically larger than 100cm x 60cm x 58cm) e.g. widescreen televisions (larger than 26 inch), furniture or some fitness equipment, can only be delivered to mainland UK."

georgeingozo wrote:

amazon have a size and weight limit to Malta

The list of delivery options can vary depending on a variety of factors including product weight, product size and delivery address. If you don't see a particular delivery option, then it's not available for your order.

Also see:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome … d=11072981

you can get 32in tv from amazon germany for sure - as i got one two months ago - but i know a few years ago i experienced a delivery of a 42inch plasma tv here which on arrival was damaged beyond repair - money back so no problem and they didnt even want it returned as the return costs were extortionate (350-550euros) altho it was only £23 to get it here - 2 day to go from amazon uk to frankfurt - 3 days frankfurt to malta - 17 days Valletta to Mellieha LOL

nb shortly after that they changed their policy on shipping this size tv from uk to malta... in fact at the time when i advised them they actually said that it shouldnt have happened (the delivery i mean) and thats why they dont ship here - damage losses etc.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

you can get 32in tv from amazon germany for sure

thats good to know !

sorry went off topic but thought it was relevant to what was being talked about

i have succesfully used amazon italy and germany for goods.

Hi Canuck (Or Joe Toronto)... So the difference between Canadian Winter and Maltese winter is called HUMIDITY... and that the houses, doors and windows are not winterproof as you can find in every average house in Canada.

I will strongly recommend for you to get a GAS HEATER... 3 reasons... 1 it is obviously cheaper than electricity, 2 you know what you are spending rather than receiving the surprise from ENEMALTA after a nice warm winter... depending on the size of your flat you can move it from your room, to living, etc and you do not have to heat the whole flat...I know, not convenient at all but electricity here is expensive. Regards

"1 it is obviously cheaper than electricity" - it used to be, but now the subsidy on gas has been stopped (and there is now effectively a subsidy on electricity), a modern aircon costs less to run than a gas heater and dehumidifier combined

edit - this is only true if you are on the lower electricity prices

JoeToronto wrote:

Living expenses are high in Canada, especially in Toronto.

Could be worse. Thanks God you are not in Vancouver... :P

georgeingozo wrote:

"1 it is obviously cheaper than electricity" - it used to be, but now the subsidy on gas has been stopped (and there is now effectively a subsidy on electricity), a modern aircon costs less to run than a gas heater and dehumidifier combined

Really? as of when? thanks for the info.

as of when what ?

The subsidy... is it new or the same from last year when the gas prices were raised.
thanks

This year the government is subsidising electricity prices by € 30 million, and has just promised they won't go up next year, so assuming oil prices and exchange rate about the same, will be similar subsidy next year. Gas, on the other hand, is sold at cost price plus a fixed margin.