Where is best area to retire in belize?

Wife and i are wanting to retire  some where in belize. would like  to have some idea as to where we could live.  Looking  at no more than $2000 a month to live. Looking for small   1 or 2 bed room furnished  house or apartment.Looking to be  close enough to walk to town. close to ocean.  hope someone  can   help. Jim and Helen

im looking at canalfront property in ladyville.im hearing a lot of negative things in and around anywhere close to belize city.what im looking for is property where i can have a large cruiser cabin and therefore need to be on the water,but with oceanfront and the waves this would be more difficult for security and dockage.i like this area because its close to all the islands plus the security of and convenience of the mainland,and security of the canals but access to the ocean.its also a central location to access the interior of the country and close to the airport.does anyone have any opinions that would be helpfull in this area.there are also canal lots on amberise caye,but i think with all the tourists and size of the island cabin fever would set in pretty fast for me.any opinions would be helpfull,thanks.